All-channel stereo?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobCar, Dec 17, 2002.

1. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,
    So do any of you use "all-channel stereo" for listening to music? It's one of the features that has me wanting to upgrade to a newer reciever. Yamaha says its all-channel DSP is "great for parties," but wouldn't you want to run the music through all channels all the time? I imagine that it would fill a room with music. What are the advantages/disatvantages?
    Thanks!

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I use 7 channel stereo on my Pio 45TX and I really like it. My previouse receivers were not capable of this so when I tried it I was very happy with it. It does fill the room a lot better.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I've used the 5/6 channel stereo option on the Denon receivers. I was pretty impressed with the sound quality that was produced.

I actually bounced back quite frequently between this setting and Pro Logic II (Music.) I also tried DTS Neo:6 for a bit with the Denon and thought it was OK for music. However, the 5/6 channel stereo DSP is one of the better options.

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

My Yamaha has 8 channel stereo (RXV3000) and I like using it for background FM radio listening as well as mono TV broadcasts.
    I didn't think it would be a feature I would have liked prior to owning it but now I'm glad it has it.
    I like the 70mm movie mode for many DD movies too.

5. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

So I'm gathering that it's a good feature. So why would anyone ever revert to 2-channel is multi-channel is available and sounds good?

6. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

The all channel stereo is an interesting effect but it can't compete with a high quality two channel system.

7. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

What Russ said.

5/7 channel stereo sounds fine for background music or parties but if you want to really get into the music and have the musicians playing for you in your living room then 2 channel is the only (almost) way to go.

Hi-resolution sources like DVD-A and SACD support multichannel and 5.1 music but for me to enjoy them I'd need a heck of a lot of money for the surrounds, center and amplifiers as I'd want them to match my expensive mains.

8. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Im with Russ and John.

It's great for background music. But for critical listening, the multi-channel "stereo" settings clutter the reproduction, IMHO. The clarity and imaging seem way off with all my speakers trying to reproduce a Stereo signal.

--Steve

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Another agreement for two channel. It can be fun sometimes to experiment with the PLII or CS or whatever on stereo sometimes, or to use the all-channel for parties or something, but I would never think to use that for serious listening.

10. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

What if all your speakers were of equal quality?

11. RussKon

RussKon Stunt Coordinator

rob,

even if your speakers were all matched of equal quality, it still is an artificial representation of the stereo signal...and will not come close to the real thing...

russ

12. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Hmm. OK. Thanks for the informative input, everyone ... Now I'm left wondering whether to upgrade just to get the all-channel feature for music. Takes a lot to derail the impulse to upgrade! Thanks again --
    Rob

13. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

My Onk TX DS-787 has a few formats that I use when I am not
    "Critically" listening.

All Channel Stereo is great because it has the clarity of
    2 Channel Stereo and fills the room with sound. But this is
    not a DSP Mode for Critical listening, your sound stage is
    not accurate because your Left and Right Surround are sending
    out a stereo signal just like the Left and Right Fronts and
    the Center Channel is sending out it's matrixed information.

Enhanced 7 is another DSP I use on occasion, the surrounds
    are used as a gentle reverb the center is used and the mains
    are used.

For 2 Channel it's either Direct or Stereo (with the tone
    controls set to 0 Boost/Cut)

I prefer Direct because it truly is the most direct output
    and bypasses all of the DSP Proccessing.

The DSP's I rarely use are:

Studio-Mix
    Unplugged
    Orchestra
    Mono TV

14. Justin_Terpstra

I only use it for regular TV viewing.

Nice for the News, MTV, etc .... or the N64.

Although since I have Digital Cable for HBO, Max, etc ... I switch over to DD or DPL.

15. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

I think what got me started thinking about all this is that I listen to music in my car during my commute, and there are at least 6 speakers playing music in that small space, and it sounds great -- I'm surrounded by the music, and I can't tell where it's coming from. I was thinking that the all-channel option would do the same thing for my living room. But if the interest is the best possible sound, then it sounds like the consensus is that 2 channel is the way to go.

16. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Well....I too like All channel Stereo. I too have an Onkyo TX DS 797 that does a great job with this. My speakers are all Klipsch Reference that reproduces the sound very accuratly. To me it sounds way better than direct or stereo.

Perhaps my setup is wrong. I would love to listen to Pink Floyd "wish you were here" CD on a MacIntosh Tube amp with B & W Nautilus speakers to see what I'm missing.

17. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

18. Billie

Billie Auditioning

hey guys, have you tried denon matrix dsp mode? i find myself listen to this mode (for ambience in background music) more often than the 5-channel stereo now. i prefer the matrix over the 5-channel stereo mode, which i used to use when listening to multi-channel music. wonder if you guys have tried matrix mode and your thought on it...

19. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

The Denon 5-Channel stereo is great for parties. With two speakers playing loud so that everyone can hear, you end up having it so that nobody is able to stand close to the stereo. With 5-Channle you can lower the volume and a more pleasing sound level.

20. Mark Davenport

Mark Davenport Stunt Coordinator

Let me chime in, I use Sony's Cinema Studio "which is similar to logic 7" I use this mode on all sources all the time, even DVD-A and SACD in high rez stereo mode using the stereo analog outputs. I dislike direct modes as to me they sound, flat, dead, narrow, non detailed, and completely 2 dimensional and utterly boring. I'm one person that prefers all channel stereo set up properly over 2 channel direct mode everytime.