What's new

"All about Eve", "How green...", "Grapes..." and other Fox DVD in '03 (1 Viewer)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I am glad I held off on buying All About Eve. I had rented it once and found the picture and sound quality to be sub-par. I am also excited about Sunrise (which hopefully will be available separately) and Laura.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I am reviving this thread about Fox classics coming out, can anybody tell me the following ?
We know that in march Journey, Quest and The Day are coming out.
So what is coming out in February ?
:D

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There is some confusion here - How Green was My Vallley was certainly NOT released to theaters in stereo. That stereo track ( which was created for the laserdisc) was created by me in the early nineties using Foxs multichannel music stems.

SteveP

Second Unit
PORTRAIT OF JENNIE was released with some kind of mutiple-speaker sound for the storm sequence in 1948 and then THIS IS CINERAMA followed with seven channel magnetic stereo in 1952.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Stereo recordings were made in 1929 by my grandfather, Harvey Fletcher, at Bell Laboratories, working with Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra. But 2-channel stereo would not fit on 35mm film -- so when direct-to-film audio was universally adopted (and Vitaphone, the synchronized disk process used by Warners and "The Jazz Singer" was thrown out) it became a mono medium. Stereo wasn't really added to film until the widescreen processes of the 50s. Fantasia used a synchronized disk process, which worked out because there was no dialogue to be synchronized perfectly.

SteveP

Second Unit
Was always under the impression that FantaSound had been a multiple-track optical process.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this has been posted, but I'm eagerly awaiting these.
Fronts:

and backs:

Thanks to DVDEmpire. Sorry if this is old news. Feel free to close it, moderators.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Patrick
I just knew you would bring this one up, I am sure someone will post it once they find it.
:D

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I just got done watching Sunset Boulevard (an amazing DVD!). I can't wait to get its rival (and eventual winner) for the Academy Award in 1950 - All About Eve. I hope the DVD is equally good (the extras sound promising).

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh... Pretty cover art.
I've never seen "All About Eve" but I think I might pick it up just because of what I've heard of it.
I liked "How Green Was My Valley" and though I liked it, I think I might pick it up just to own the film that beat "Citizen Kane." It's still a wonderful picture, just not one of my favorites.
Regardless I like seeing really old catalog films.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I hope Fox doesn't focus primarily on movies that won a lot of Academy Awards. (One of the unfortunate things about the Oscars is that they focus video stores' attention on Oscar-winning movies and actors at the expense of better movies and actors that never won.)

I'd particularly like to see Ernst Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait with Don Ameche (the laserdisc didn't do justice to its beautiful color photography) and Cluny Brown with Jennifer Jones (never available in any format).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks