What's new

All 4 "Airport" Films From Universal -- Coming February 10th (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am waiting for my copy as well. I have the Goodtimes Anniversary release of Airport and keeping it but never bought any of the others previously.

I am no fan of dual sided discs but what do you watch when it's in the player... the movie or the disc art?

Hey, at least Universal included the trailers!!! :)

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Concorde" is a horrible movie with lame FX and the most laughable plot twists you ever saw in your life.

"Airport 77" needs its TV cut to make sense.

"Airport 75" lets you see all the things that "Airplane" would parody mercilessly right down to the singing nun and the ill kid.

This is why "Airport" which is a quality film, deserved its own separate release with the special treatment of documentary, commentary etc. for launching the whole disaster craze in style.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
David, i got a laugh out of the floaters comment on these DVDs. They must not have meant for us to watch the movies...only look at em in the box. When i went to BB to exchange my broken disk the guy wanted to open the box on the new one to make sure they were OK. Anyway, the 20 year old "gentleman" used the corner of the counter to tear the shrink wrap, guess what else got ripped? Yep, the cover. Disks that dont come out, gouged art, crummy double sided disks....hey i like to stress about the small things in life.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
You're right about the floaters... I WISH these were floaters. Man, it took me a while to get those discs out. Any place we can e-mail our complaints?

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know about R2 but mine came today from Region 1. AIRPORT Terminal 'No' Chapter inserts other than the movies themselves with a small spoiler of the movie. All are Wide Screen 1st disc has Airport on side 1, side 2 has Airport '75. 2nd disc has Airport '77 on side 1 and The Concorde: Airport '79 on side 2. All of the disc's are anamorphic the 1st 3 are 2.35:1 with The Concorde being a 1.85:1. Airport has Dolby Surround English, 5.1 DDTS Dolby Surround, Caption: English only. The rest of the Airport's have Mono English, captions English, Spanish, and French. Airport 2H17M, Airport '75 1H47M, Airport '77 1H54M, and Airport Concorde as 1H54M for times listed on the back cover of slip case. 2 sides insert has 5 men and 2 women head pics on, and on the front of slip case, the 2 women are Karen Black and Jaqueline Bisset, the other side of insert has of a load of pics slip. Reverse pocket split like this holds the insert of the front and back cover, lifts to allow insert to be taken out, then you can then see it. Universal Studio charged me $19.98 + $3.95 shipping.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
You're right about the floaters... I WISH these were floaters. Man, it took me a while to get those discs out.
Holy Joe Patroni!
If they're *that* difficult to pry loose, I think I might just leave the discs OFF their hubs completely (and put them in separate CD sleeves). That is, of course, if I can get the darn things loose in the first place without destroying them. :)

Question to those who have the "Grip From Hell Airport Pack" ..... Are the two discs any easier to remove the SECOND time around, after placing them back on the hubs and then off again repeatedly? (Sometimes this happens...where they kind of "loosen" up over many removals. I've noticed that the ThinPak cases are like this. Many times, I've noticed a "cold" disc is hard to remove from a ThinPak; but it'll slide on & off the hub with no effort when it's "hot". In fact, you have to be careful when opening some of those ThinPak cases...because the jarring of opening the case will sometimes cause the disc to jump off the hub. Anybody else notice this?)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm still having difficulties in getting these discs out even after the first horrendous experience. Now I've noticed that I did, indeed, develop a small crack near the center hole in one of the discs :angry: Assuming I can get a replacement from the store I bought it from, these discs will go in a spare double Amaray case. Slightly off topic but what would be the demensions,etc. that I should request for a quality color scan from Kinkos of the inner packaging to fit a double (slim) Amaray case? What exactly should I ask for?(I've never had to or wanted to do this before)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Is the packing on this set different than the other franchise sets Universal is releasing? My Airport set hasn't arrived yet but I have received Ma and Pa Kettle and while the disk was tight on the spindle I had no trouble removing it. Just a thumb on the spindle and 2 fingers under the disk.

Real Name
Anthony
These "death-grip" hubs - not a bad name for them btw - are the same ones I was ranting about in regards to the Universal PSYCHO collection in R2. The discs overlap and the hubs don't give an inch. Absolutely horrible. Looks like Universal's sold on them, though. How long until they start packaging two disc sets like this ? It probably saves them one cent on each disc or something. I guess it all adds up.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
"Overlapping" discs inside a DigiPack case????

Never heard of that type configuration before. Curious.
I first saw it with the 2003 Collector's Edition of Monty Python and the Holy Grail - it put both discs on top of each other. Yesspeak also did this. It's pretty darned lame!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I have never seen any of these movies, and at ~4 movies for $15 I couldn't resist, even if I have to tear the package apart...guess I'll find out tomorrow. Man, you gotta figure overlapping disc storage in a digipak is pretty damn chintzy; but then, they save a couple cents by leaving inserts out of "special" editions, so nothing surprises. For this set though, pretty tough to complain since it is so cheap, packaging shortcomings understandable this time but usually not.

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
As an owner of the GoodTimes widescreen version of Airport, I can confirm that the transfer of Airport on this "Quadrilogy":D set is the exact same as the GoodTimes disc. It's a very nice transfer, and I'm glad they recycled it from the old disc. The DTS track is not very aggressive from what I have heard, but that is expected considering the age of the movie. As far as the other movies in the set, they look very nice, Airport 79' the "worst" looking, I guess. The Airport 75' mono track kicks, with nice sub use, the track on 77' and 79': The Concorde, I did not sample these enough to tell. I could assume they probably don't sound much different. This is a great bargain for $21 at Best Buy, I highly recommend this set!!

Ben

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Wow -- I had a hell of a problem prying the two discs off from their hubs, too. Being very careful and determined kept them from getting broken, but this is unsettling....

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yup, they are sure in there tight. I've seen these hubs numerous times: lift the disc up with one finger in one of the upper "notches", then run another finger around the edge of the disc towards a lower notch. The disc should pop out without *too* much force. The good thing is the hubs are much looser after the first time, after you've broken those "crimps" really holding the discs tightly.

OK, once the discs are out: I like the packaging...I like shiny silvery blue stuff, like X2...pretty...

Edit: Oh yeah, meant to mention I recently got Airplane! from the WM bargain bin. I expect I may get a few new laughs out of it after watching a couple of the Airport movies. I've seen Airplane! so many times but have never seen the inspiration...fortuitous timing of these Airport discs, haven't seen Airplane! for quite a while either.

JonSpice

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice the *dust* particles in '75 were much bigger in the 'anamorphic' laughable transfer. Mary Pickford would turn over in her grave, if she seen what they were doing with the money she invested with others to become Univeral Studios. Them discs are not going back into those impossible holders, Paint Shop Pro here I come to remove some of the width to fit into a 2 disc slimmy.

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

Mary Pickford can continue to rest peacefuly. She was strictly a salaried employee for IMP, the precursor to Universal, and even that was shortlived. It was United Artists that she was a founding partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks