Alive finally coming...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith M., Aug 21, 2002.

1. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

Noticed that Alive will be released 10/8/2002. Anyone know any of the details? This was a great movie, one of the most disturbing plane crashes I have seen on film.

Anyone else looking forward to seeing this on DVD??

2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

If Buena Vista's recent catalog releases are any indication, I wouldn't expect a great looking transfer. Recently, they've treated some of their titles very shoddily. Hopefully, it'll be OAR at least.

3. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

About a month I called Disney to inquire about specs on some of their catalog titles coming this fall and the rep I spoke with assured me this title would be widescreen (along with Swing Kids and Betsy's Wedding.)

4. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Does anyone have this disc yet? Want to comment on the quality of the transfer/extras...

-Chad

5. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Good (if somewhat inconsistent, with a bit of wear and edge enhancement) 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 (respectable, considering the age of the film, but still rather inconsistently aggressive). Extras include a 51-minute 1992 BBC documentary that visits with the real-life survivors 20 years later, a 12-minute shorter doc focusing on one of the survivors visiting the Andes and three intros from director Frank Marshall (one for the film, one for each of the docs).

While not a spectacular release, it's certainly more than Buena Vista's catalog titles usually offer. Fans should find this to be a satisfactory release.

6. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Thanks Aaron... Glad to hear it is anamorphic since the cover does not mention it.

Any comments on the BBC doc?

-Chad

7. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Keith: While I'm hesitent to call this a "great" movie, I do agree with you that the plane crash is "disturbing." Hell, it's the best I've ever seen in a dramatic film, and if only for that reason I would buy this disc. Glad I saw the thread, as I had no idea this disc was on the way. Or, rather, that it had even arrived. Going to my online vendor today! JB

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I remember reading somewhere that if they had walked the other direction. They would have found a cabin or someother structure. Does anyone know if this is true?

10. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Yep, there was an empty place (resort? warehouse?) nearby. It's in the book on which the movie is based if I remember. It's been so long since I read the book (before the movie came out).