What's new

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) (1 Viewer)

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Interesting. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend the same money they did to make this to make a sequel that probably has no chance of even breaking even. I mean look how this one struggled to just break even. I'm sure Cameron is thankful they aren't too far in the hole and will just move on and consider it a fun little project that didn't really click.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
IF they make a sequel, the budget would probably be quite reduced to give it a better shot at turning a profit.
It would basically be Pacific Rim Uprising Mk. II. Make up some cockamamie reason to continue with a franchise that wasn't a hit in the first place, then stand slack jawed as this one proceeds to do even worse.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Another potential issue with trying out a sequel is the box office numbers for say the domestic side ($88 million est) came from folks curious about the movie itself and diehard folks like found on this thread who felt the need to see it 4-5 times. So next go around odds are the numbers would be slashed because a bigger majority of average moviegoer folks won't be curios anymore. Meaning they didn't enjoy the first one so they will pass on a sequel. That leaves just a small handful of diehard fans to bolster the box office. And if it can barely make say $40 million but the budget is close to $150 million nobody will be making money.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Another potential issue with trying out a sequel is the box office numbers for say the domestic side ($88 million est) came from folks curious about the movie itself and diehard folks like found on this thread who felt the need to see it 4-5 times. So next go around odds are the numbers would be slashed because a bigger majority of average moviegoer folks won't be curios anymore. Meaning they didn't enjoy the first one so they will pass on a sequel. That leaves just a small handful of diehard fans to bolster the box office. And if it can barely make say $40 million but the budget is close to $150 million nobody will be making money.

This film enjoyed a 94 percent audience rating on RT. So let's assume that same percentage will want to see the sequel. Let's also assume that the home video market will seed new fans as there will be many who will be seeing it that way for the first time.

It's pretty much just growth, not stagnation as you suggest.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
It would basically be Pacific Rim Uprising Mk. II. Make up some cockamamie reason to continue with a franchise that wasn't a hit in the first place, then stand slack jawed as this one proceeds to do even worse.

Anyone who saw the film knows that the story is unfinished and a sequel is required to tell the full story. So no cockamamie reasons required.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
This film enjoyed a 94 percent audience rating on RT. So let's assume that same percentage will want to see the sequel. Let's also assume that the home video market will seed new fans as there will be many who will be seeing it that way for the first time.

Am I reading RT correctly in that the 94% is from just 28,414 supposed unique individuals? If so, at $10 a ticket that brings in about $284,000.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alita_battle_angel

Video at home could help boost it another low end 6 figure amount but still keeps it at break even mode still.

I think it will go down as an interesting experiment but not big enough for investors to pour another $100K+ into.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Am I reading RT correctly in that the 94% is from just 28,414 supposed unique individuals? If so, at $10 a ticket that brings in about $284,000.

Video at home could help boost it another low end 6 figure amount but still keeps it at break even mode still.

I think it will go down as an interesting experiment but not big enough for investors to pour another $100K+ into.

The actual number of audience members that cast positive reviews on RT isn't the point. It's a percentile or audience members that expressed a positive outlook on the film.

It's a poll. Not a tally.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Meaning 94% of those 28,000 folks liked the movie. No? It sure reads that way. It's not 94% of all moviegoers worldwide.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
No trolling. Let's not play that lame excuse card again please. I'm just trying to decipher your thought pattern on how some feel a sequel can become a thing and maybe even a hit.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
IF they make a sequel, the budget would probably be quite reduced to give it a better shot at turning a profit.

Most definitely. In fact, Rodriguez kept the iron city sets. The digital assets are already in place, the motion capture hardware tech is all figured out. No doubt they would need to build new sets, but there is a lot of savings to be had with the digital assets in place already.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

It also received an excellent A- Cinemascore.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

You misunderstand. Those 28k “viewers” are Russian bots who pirated the movie.

The only people who actually paid for their Alita tickets are the 286 professional reviewers. But they each paid $300k for their tickets, giving Alita its $80M gross to date. (Well, a few reviewers paid $400k each because they also wanted a soda and popcorn).

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You misunderstand. Those 28k “viewers” are Russian bots who pirated the movie.

The only people who actually paid for their Alita tickets are the 286 professional reviewers. But they each paid $300k for their tickets, giving Alita its $80M gross to date. (Well, a few reviewers paid $400k each because they also wanted a soda and popcorn).

:rolleyes:
Oh? I thought it was because Marvel bought all the tickets and burned them in a huge pile.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting. I can't imagine anyone wanting to spend the same money they did to make this to make a sequel that probably has no chance of even breaking even. I mean look how this one struggled to just break even. I'm sure Cameron is thankful they aren't too far in the hole and will just move on and consider it a fun little project that didn't really click.

I seriously don't get why you are wasting your time constantly ragging on a film that you never had any interest in. Frankly, what do you care whether a sequel is made or not? Unfortunately it will never see a sequel because Disney is assuming control of FOX.

You couldn't care less about this film but you are one of the most frequent posters commenting on the film. It is any wonder that people would start thinking that you are in a boat and throwing out a line?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I seriously don't get why you are wasting your time constantly ragging on a film that you never had any interest in. Frankly, what do you care whether a sequel is made or not? Unfortunately it will never see a sequel because Disney is assuming control of FOX.

You couldn't care less about this film but you are one of the most frequent posters commenting on the film. It is any wonder that people would start thinking that you are in a boat and throwing out a line?

Apparently the boat has sunk. :D

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I actually think Alita now has a better chance at a sequel with Disney in control rather than FOX.

But I still think it’s a long shot unfortunately.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I actually think Alita now has a better chance at a sequel with Disney in control rather than FOX.

Yeah, I think it depends on how deep into the James Cameron business Disney decides to get. But because they’re relying on his Avatar intellectual property for their theme parts, they have a vested interest in making his Avatar sequels as big a success as possible. And if he cares that much about trying to get an Alita sequel off the ground, he can probably give Disney more incentives to give him what he wants than he could have given to Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks