What's new

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I know that home video success was able to greenlight sequels for poor to middling box office performers. I have no idea what constitutes success in home video any more or even if that's a thing the studios pay attention to.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Can’t be much of a success if it’s not being sold!

Huh? It JUST finished its theatrical run. Of course it's not being sold, either on digital or disk, yet. I'm sure we have another month or two to wait.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Usually by now you have pre orders available or at least an indication of a release date. I already have a British pre order for it and Captain Marvel. What is happening in North America?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Probably just the usual slowness that's plagued disc releases for the last year or so, and it's not uncommon at all for Europe and North America to have very different release dates.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I guess I have never noticed it until recently because all my purchases were North American before I was forced to buy my 3Ds from Britain (“Beauty And The Beast”).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fox has also stated that break even for Alita is between $350-$400 million.

It’s at $392 million worldwide.

I know a sequel is unlikely but you never know.

A sequel to "Alita: Battle Angel" is guaranteed to be dead with Disney assuming control of Fox.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Disney is majorly invested in James Cameron right now - their Avatar themed attractions at Animal Kingdom were a major investment and incredibly popular. Last couple times I was down there, I didn't even try to get on them, still showing multiple hour waits even after being open for a couple years.

I don't think Disney will be in a rush to shut down a Cameron project when they've already got a working relationship with him on theme park side. If anything, they'll probably be more interested to see what, if anything, Cameron could bring to the parks.

So if Cameron is interested in having the sequel made, as long as the original didn't hemorrhage money, I think it has a better chance than it would have with any other filmmaker heading up the project.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Disney is majorly invested in James Cameron right now - their Avatar themed attractions at Animal Kingdom were a major investment and incredibly popular. Last couple times I was down there, I didn't even try to get on them, still showing multiple hour waits even after being open for a couple years.

I don't think Disney will be in a rush to shut down a Cameron project when they've already got a working relationship with him on theme park side. If anything, they'll probably be more interested to see what, if anything, Cameron could bring to the parks.

So if Cameron is interested in having the sequel made, as long as the original didn't hemorrhage money, I think it has a better chance than it would have with any other filmmaker heading up the project.

This is the kind of optimistic talk I like. :rock:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I’d love to cancel my order and replace it with a US or Canadian one. The US still lists it although it presently is unavailable.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Was that the break even point? Meaning no profit per se?
Its 38M short of the break even mark with a standard 2.5 multiplier. Due to the prolonged production and multiple delays they probably need 500m to get out of the hole on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks