What's new

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Unfortunately, it's not playing in 3-D at the nearest Dolby Cinema to me, but I agree with you that the 2-D Dolby Cinema was more impressive than the 3-D IMAX presentation minus the 3-D. The audio improvement was noticeable to me.

Wow! Three times. Maybe I should see it again myself.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I snuck in a 3rd viewing in AMC IMAX 3D after work yesterday because, well, A-List, and it was going away from the IMAX 3D presentation this weekend due to "HTTYD 3" opening Thursday night. Enjoyed the larger presentation of the motorball sequences, etc. Thanks, A-List!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, it's not playing in 3-D at the nearest Dolby Cinema to me, but I agree with you that the 2-D Dolby Cinema was more impressive than the 3-D IMAX presentation minus the 3-D. The audio improvement was noticeable to me.

I went IMAX 3D because I wanted the extra aspect ratio for some scenes - and it was a lot of them!

Kinda wish I'd done Dolby 3D - oh well!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would probably go and see this once more if I had access to a true IMAX 3D screen or Dolby Cinema 3D screen; however, a 6.5 hr drive, one way, in winter was as far as I was willing to go to see this on a slightly larger screen in a half decent theatre.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also don't even *really* know how true the IMAX theatre at the Scotiabank theatre in Toronto is. I've heard of liemax (lol) but not sure of the nuanced difference. All I know is that IMAX screen at the Scotiabank theatre is massive. Any locals can help?
It's listed in the IMAX website if you search for theater locations:

upload_2019-2-20_11-12-3.png

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll be pissed if they do not have a 4K/3D combo of this film; however, if it comes down to it this will be the only film where I will spring for both copies if they are released separately. I'll be more annoyed if they don't make a 3D home release available, because this is one film that needs to be seen in 3D.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll be pissed if they do not have a 4K/3D combo of this film; however, if it comes down to it this will be the only film where I will spring for both copies if they are released separately. I'll be more annoyed if they don't make a 3D home release available, because this is one film that needs to be seen in 3D.
I thought nobody was doing the combo anymore. I do have Kong: Skull Island and I think Passengers in a combo. Every time I watch them, I choose 3D, so having the 4K hasn't been valuable to me. But that's just me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are Alita 4K/3D combo placeholders listed at Amazon UK, but it remains to be seen if they'll actually appear. I think the last one I got domestically was the Best Buy exclusive combo pack for Pacific Rim: Uprising.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought nobody was doing the combo anymore. I do have Kong: Skull Island and I think Passengers in a combo. Every time I watch them, I choose 3D, so having the 4K hasn't been valuable to me. But that's just me.

There are Alita 4K/3D combo placeholders listed at Amazon UK, but it remains to be seen if they'll actually appear. I think the last one I got domestically was the Best Buy exclusive combo pack for Pacific Rim: Uprising.

I'm hoping Cameron might have enough pull to get them to release it in a 4K/3D combo or at the very least a 3D version.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm hoping Cameron might have enough pull to get them to release it in a 4K/3D combo or at the very least a 3D version.
Yeah, I'd mentioned that a while ago somewhere, though I'm not sure Cameron really has any interest in home 3D. All the promos for Alita have been "see it on the biggest screen you can," so his interest in the format may end at the theater.

And while they did release T2 theatrically in 3D, we never got a domestic 3D blu-ray. They were different studios, though, and since he's still working with Fox on the Avatar sequels, maybe they have more interest in catering to his 3D wishes (if he cares). The Disney merger might also put an end to any possible 3D home options.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Banal dialogue, dull characters, terrible acting, miscasting across the board, where do I begin? The two leads give the worst line-readings I’ve heard in a movie since THE PHANTOM MENACE and ATTACK OF THE CLONES. And what’s with all these 21st century teenage hipsters in the 26th century? You call that “world-building”?! I call it anachronistic. All of this took me out of the movie real fast.

I saw it in 3-D and the 3-D didn’t annoy me (which is high praise from me), but it didn’t add anything special either. Maybe if I was invested more in it, I would have been able to appreciate the visuals more. But at some point I just didn’t care.

The shame of it is that there was a very good young actress in the cast who, I believe, would have made a much better Alita. I’m talking about Lana Condor, who played Koyomi, one of Hugo’s entourage. Why didn’t they cast her? Was she not sleeping with Robert Rodriguez?

For the record, I found the anime character way more expressive than the one in this movie.

46446851204_bb1a495913.jpg

versus...

46256293865_bbd5d2541e.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks