What's new

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yes I know. I'm sure many thought it was going to be a huge $500 million blockbuster that turned into a huge new franchise.
I’m sure many of us hoped for the movie to be a big success, but I doubt any of us knew it would be. I gotta give it to you JQ, when you’re right, you’re right. ;)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I’m sure many of us hoped for the movie to be a big success, but I doubt any of us knew it would be. I gotta give it to you JQ, when you’re right, you’re right. ;)

How can he be right when it's only been open for half a week and has yet to hit a potentially very fertile market for this kind of film?

No one knows what the results will be.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
How can he be right when it's only been open for half a week and has yet to hit a potentially very fertile market for this kind of film?

No one knows what the results will be.
Gee wiz, I would have thought the emoji would have made it clear it was a sarcastic comment.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yes I know. I'm sure many thought it was going to be a huge $500 million blockbuster that turned into a huge new franchise.
Pretty sure your the only one that thinks Jimmy was agreeing with you. Including Jimmy. :lol:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the diehard Comicon and video gaming crowd this is steered towards showed up for week one and that was the main bulk of the cash. Unless they show up in full strength next week and the weeks after, I'm not sure this will have any legs domestically. Now overseas may be saving grace for it but I double it will see a sequel.

The assumption that this film was aimed at comicon attendees and video gamers is nonsense.

First, what is the typical Comicon attendee because Comicon consists of a lot more than comic fans. In fact, comic book fans, probably comprise the smallest part of the total attendees at the Con nowadays. In fact, there are probably more film and TV fans going to Comicon than comic fans. So if you are correct in the assumption that the makers aimed this at Con attendees then all you are saying was that they were aiming at the average film fan.

The assumption that they were also going for video gamers really falls flat, because the film is not based on a video game. It is based on a long running manga. Video gamers are not necessarily manga or anime fans.

Just because some burned out, scrub reviewer without an ounce of creativity said it looked like a video game doesn't mean it actually did. If video gamers were a specific demo that the film makers were trying to capture then why was there no video game tie-in for the film? Maybe it was because the film makers were never specifically aiming for a gamer demo?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
By the way. Saw it again today in IMAX 3D and enjoyed it even more.

Will probably try to see it again in Dolby Cinema 3D as I’ve been told my previous issue has been addressed and corrected.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I caught this last week in IMAX 3D at the IMAX with laser location in NYC.

I thought the presentation was phenomenal, but that the movie itself was uneven. I don't regret seeing it, but I think this might have played better as a premium cable/streaming limited series rather than a film. When the movie ended, my friend asked what I thought of it. I took a moment to think and then replied, "You know how critics now say all the time that a new TV show doesn't feel like TV, it feels like a long movie that's been cut into pieces? This felt like a TV show that was glued together into a feature."

The episodic storytelling made it a little difficult for me to become invested in the characters - the film seemed to lack momentum. It felt more like four short films or episodes that were only mildly connected being played in a row. I wish that they writers had done more work to give the film a more unified feel. Even the film's ending felt more like a "See you next week!" than a conclusion to the story. (It makes you appreciate what Marvel Studios can do in making films that fit into a unified whole but that also work as self-contained adventures.)

Parts of the film fell into the uncanny valley category for me. It wasn't so much that I didn't buy the Alita effect, but more that I had a harder time accepting that the live action actors were occupying the same physical space that she was. Her face frequently had this almost translucent texture that I notice all the time in CGI, where the design itself is very good but doesn't appear to actually be a real object taking up space in a real place. (I also noticed that in scenes where Christoph Waltz is reaching out to touch her face, it's an animated shot with CGI Waltz hands.)

The 3D effects were very effective, though I was a little underwhelmed with the shifting aspect ratios - it didn't seem to have the impact that I've gotten from other films that used that technique.

And that scene at the end where she's climbing on that giant cable and holding on to that guy so far up in the air, my fear of heights kicked in and I was physically uncomfortable as she struggled and failed to hold him. My hats off to the effects guys for delivering that kind of realism.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As a story, it may have suited being a TV series better. On the other hand, as a TV production they would not have had the budget to pull off VFX like those in the motorball sequence.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Some of the theatres in the Vancouver area are not bad such as the one in Richmond. Langley has one that isn't too bad, although it is getting somewhat run down. Some areas of it have been closed. Cineplex Odeon owns most of the theatres in BC. Like I mentioned, they do very little to keep their theatres upgraded and up to date. Do you mind if I ask what you do for a living?
No problem! I work in IT.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw it for the third time today in stunning Dolby Cinema 3D.

Didn’t think the film could be more impressive than it was in IMAX 3D but I was mistaken.

It was brighter, clearer, and more thunderous. See it if you can in this format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Didn’t think the film could be more impressive than it was in IMAX 3D but I was mistaken.

It was brighter, clearer, and more thunderous. See it if you can in this format.
Unfortunately, it's not playing in 3-D at the nearest Dolby Cinema to me, but I agree with you that the 2-D Dolby Cinema was more impressive than the 3-D IMAX presentation minus the 3-D. The audio improvement was noticeable to me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Your IMAX is a Xenon 2K location - going from that to Dolby Cinema’s laser 4K is a big jump.

My IMAX is one of the 4K laser ones so that’s probably equal to or slight better than the Dolby version. But both should be pretty great.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Your IMAX is a Xenon 2K location - going from that to Dolby Cinema’s laser 4K is a big jump.

My IMAX is one of the 4K laser ones so that’s probably equal to or slight better than the Dolby version. But both should be pretty great.

I am having trouble figuring out if there is such a thing as a Dolby Cinema location in Toronto. I don't see any specific labelling for such, and the Dolby website doesn't even list Canada as a country to search for.

I also don't even *really* know how true the IMAX theatre at the Scotiabank theatre in Toronto is. I've heard of liemax (lol) but not sure of the nuanced difference. All I know is that IMAX screen at the Scotiabank theatre is massive. Any locals can help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks