What's new

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) (1 Viewer)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
By the way, I saw this in IMAX 3D. With it were trailers for the new “Godzilla”, “Captain Marvel”, and just about every action movie coming out. We were not told to put on our 3D glasses, and they were shown flat. I carefully watched the previews at the end to see the usual “shown in IMAX3D, real 3D etc, but none of them had it. Is everything this summer being shown flat?

On my way out of Alita, I am pretty sure I saw a stand up Captain Marvel display that touted that I should catch C.M. in IMAX, or some 3d variant. I didn't pay a lot of attention but it seemed to answer the question about that specific film.

And then there's this: https://designtaxi.com/news/403064/...ter-Emojis-RealD-3D-And-IMAX-Graphic-Posters/

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
A good analysis of Alita’s Box Office

Courtesy boxofficeguru.com

Opening at number one was the big-budget sci-fi vehicle Alita: Battle Angel which grossed an estimated $27.8M over the Friday-to-Sunday portion of the long holiday frame. Fox's PG-13 entry averaged a good $7,335 from 3,790 locations and has collected $36.5M since its debut on Thursday, Valentine's Day.

Audiences and critics have had differing opinions on Alita. Film reviews were mixed and did not provide too much support, however paying crowds have been reacting very well and the A- CinemaScore shows consumer satisfaction. The solid 55% Friday-to-Saturday jump indicates good word-of-mouth and strong business from older kids on a long weekend off from school.

With Robert Rodriguez directing and James Cameron writing and producing, Alita tapped into the sci-fi and manga crowds and is positioned for a stellar global run. This weekend saw openings in dozens of countries with a hefty $56.2M from 86 markets pushing the overseas cume to $94.4M and the early global take to $130.9M. With muscular launches expected in China and Japan this Friday, the final worldwide haul for Alita should be able to top $500M, and may exceed $600M too.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
How was the score in the film? I’ve heard good things about the soundtrack and have listened to samples, but was curious if it made an impact in the actual film?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I guess I was just a tad generous but came close.

Probably will make $8-10 million during upcoming week.
Dude. No you didn’t. Don’t try to BS us. You implied that it would make a total $40 million domestic. Not opening weekend. :rolleyes:

You were responding to this statement.

“Early tracking isn't looking great. Looks like the studio will be hoping for big numbers from China similar to Warcraft which grossed only $47m domestically, but was a $433m worldwide hit thanks in large part to China.”

And then you said

“$40 million range seems to be a logical assumption, Might be a bit generous.”

C’mon. :lol:

Last edited:

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Tino taking no prisoners! :popcorn:

I am really curious to see where this movie will land, domestically. The really strong tide of audience approval (if you believe RT) completely contradicts the 'official reviewers'. Word of mouth has proven to be strong in the past (Wonder Woman had amazing legs for the longest time for this reason).

Maybe we can see the good word of mouth carry this film a bit farther domestically.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fox’s Greatest Showman had amazing legs, hopefully the studio will be able to use that knowledge to their advantage here.

They’re locked in for two weeks in the premium Dolby Cinema 3D locations - most films only get one week of Dolby Cinema in 2D, so that’s a big get for them - and I think that’ll help. The studio is heavily promoting the film as a 3D experience and word of mouth is also spreading the same buzz.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I just edit my posts, and Tino is none the wiser. That’s how I’ve been right 100% of the time.

Speaking of which, I quite enjoyed Alita. Rodriguez has always been pretty hit and miss with me, but I liked what I saw in the trailers. I’d been following the project (somewhat) since it was announced as Cameron’s next project, lo these many years ago. I think it’s a bit shaggy, but it works. The only major component that didn’t work for me was Hugo. The dialogue he had was YA 101, and he doesn’t sell it at all. But the rest of the cast is quite good, especially Salazar. Considering she had to navigate the audience through the Uncanny Valley to some extent, she does a marvelous job selling her character and the earnestness of the film.

The world building was a lot of fun, and I quite enjoyed the effects. Rodriguez has always made his budget stretch, and he does the same here with a much bigger number. The subtle beats are fun, and the action scenes (except for the last one against the Centurions) were exceptional. I quite enjoyed the big league motorball one, especially with those gonzo cyborg designs. And seeing my very first celebrity crush on screen (still rocking) was a nice little treat.

Now I saw it in 2D, based on my usual reservations. I will try and catch this in 3D IMAX this week, since it was done by folks who know what they are doing. In the end, I hope it does well enough for a sequel.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
seeing my very first celebrity crush on screen (still rocking) was a nice little treat.

I hear you Chuck. But how did you feel about

your very first celebrity crush being cut up into pieces and kept alive?

That scene stuck with me longer than I wanted, because it was J.C. brrrr!

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So I did a second viewing of this film in what Cineplex calls "UltraAVX". I guess it is their version of digital IMAX. I had to go to Kamloops in order to do the viewing. I would say that everything in the film played as well or better for me than my first viewing. Even some of the "cheesier" dialogue played better the second time around. The 3D was still RealD but the larger screen did help make the visuals more immersive than in my first viewing. I think the biggest improvement was the sound. The sound system in the auditorium I was in has been upgraded to Dolby ATMOS and I think it was a big improvement over my local theatre where Cineplex cannot even bother to upgrade or improve the seating, let alone the sound system. However, it was pretty loud so that could also be colouring my perception of the sound quality.

I really don't know whether this film will gain any legs in the domestic market. I did a late Sunday night viewing and there was only about twenty people (if that) in the theatre. I can only hope that it does well enough in overseas markets to get a sequel green lighted. Regardless, I had a good seat: approximately the middle of the room from front to back and dead center of the screen.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I think the diehard Comicon and video gaming crowd this is steered towards showed up for week one and that was the main bulk of the cash. Unless they show up in full strength next week and the weeks after, I'm not sure this will have any legs domestically. Now overseas may be saving grace for it but I double it will see a sequel.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I think the diehard Comicon and video gaming crowd this is steered towards showed up for week one and that was the main bulk of the cash. Unless they show up in full strength next week and the weeks after, I'm not sure this will have any legs domestically. Now overseas may be saving grace for it but I double it will see a sequel.
I think you’ve lost your privileges to comment on Alita’s boxoffice in this thread dontcha think ?:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Though apparently it was no match at the global box office for The Wandering Earth:

The top worldwide weekend box office estimates, listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, February 17, are below.
  1. Wandering Earth, The - China Film Group Digital Cinema Line Co.,Ltd - $96.9M
  2. Alita: Battle Angel - 20th Century Fox - $84.0M
  3. Lego Movie 2: The Second Part, The - Warner Bros. - $33.3M
  4. Crazy Alien - Huoerguosi Enlight Media - $28.2M
  5. Pegasus - Multiple - $25.8M

Personally, I'd rather see Crazy Alien. ;)

from imdb: Crazy Alien
A monkey trainer whose act goes wrong after an alien crash lands on Earth and injures his monkey. Desperate to perform the act, he attempts to train the alien instead, though is punished after the alien regains his powers.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim

Shocking.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Yes I know. I'm sure many thought it was going to be a huge $500 million blockbuster that turned into a huge new franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks