Alison Krauss + Union Station Live DVD vs SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by James W. Johnson, Apr 14, 2004.

1. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Last night I synced up the DVD and SACD as best I could then switched from the DVD player to the SACD player, I compared the DD ,DTS and Stereo tracks on the DVD against the surround SACD track. After listening to several songs on both formats I really hoped that my Pioneer DV563 just does a poor job at decoding SACD because to my ears the DVD sound is much clearer and live sounding/aka realistic.

I have a Denon 2200 on order so I plan on trying this again after it arrives but as it stands now I sort of regret buying the SACD after I bought the DVD.

@ $19.99 the DVD was a much better value. I'll probably sell off the SACD on Ebay if it does not sound any better on the Denon 2200.

Has anyone else compared these two?

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

It'll sound better on the 2200 for sure! And you are SURE you really listened to the SACD track? (using the 6 analog cables going to your external 6 channel input on the receiver?) Did you level match the test with an SPL meter? Getting them the same level is crucial in these types of A/B tests. Did you use 2 DVD players?

3. James W. Johnson

Yes I have the player connected correctly but no the levels were not equal...I had to turn down the DVD volume when to match it up.
    Yes I used 2 DVD players , the DV563 via the 6 ch input on my Yamaha RX-V3300 for the SACD and a DD8040 via optical for the DVD.

I don't need to level match them anymore than by ear, it was pretty obvious that the SACD sounded different than the DVD. Neither sounded bad but I prefered the DVD sound. Halfway thru this test I had to remind myself that whichever sounds better to me is what matters.

And in being honest with myself I found I liked the DVD sound better.

Still though I'll wait until I get the 2200 before getting rid of the SACD.

4. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It has been a while since I last compared the DD to dts of the DVD disc but wasn't there a big mixing difference between the two? It seems I preferred the DD if memory serves correct!

Wes

5. James W. Johnson

IMO there is hardly any difference between the DTS and DD track on the DVD.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I have the SACD and like it but I've been thinking about selling it and getting the DVD. I like good concert DVDs a lot and don't feel the need for having multiple versions of the same performances, but my ultimate concern is sound and I guess I assumed SACD would deliver that. Or maybe I think I just got the SACD before the DVD came out.

7. nicholas

nicholas Extra

Both sound great. But the DVD has the advantage of showing you the very pleasant Alison. That's a hard advantage to beat.

Nick Satullo

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

No kidding. Hardly an example of all the detail that can be revealed on this disc. The SACD is awesome and one of my favorites.

I listen to the SACD but I watch the DVD.

9. Michael St. Clair

How was the concert recorded? Analog? DSD? Low-res PCM? High-res PCM?

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

11. Michael St. Clair

Thanks Brian,

I watched the DVD at my friend's house and thought it sounded great in DTS. I don't own this in any form yet.

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    The SACD is a hybrid and can be played in the car.

I don't have SACD capability yet, bought the DVD first but wanted to get the CD for listening in the car or on the stereo upstairs. Decided to just get the SACD instead since it was only a few more dollars and hopefully I'll have SACD one day.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

This is usually important to me, but for some reason not with concerts. I don't know why.

I'll probably be selling the SACD and getting the DVD. The idea of seeing the band perform in my house is too tempting, and I don't need two copies of the music.

14. James W. Johnson

I thought I would drag up this thread because I did finally get my Denon 2200 and last night I spent several hours comparing the DVD and SACD again.

Without a doubt the SACD sounds better, I cannot really explain it but it has a richer , deeper more layered sound to it...the DVD sounds thin in comparison.

I'll be keeping both the SACD and DVD.