1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Alison Krauss on Super Audio: Any Views?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I noticed today on Music Direct that Alison Krauss has two Super Audio CDs out: (1) Forget About It, and (2) Now That I Found You: A Collection.

Any one have these and have an opinion on the performance and recording?

Thanks!

Lee

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Lee, if you do a search, I posted this EXACT thread about three weeks ago and it died a slow death...not one post.
    So, I will boost your hit count by one.
    I ordered "Forget about it" on SACD and it came in about three weeks ago. I really have nothing bad to say about the sonics on this one at all. Alison's voice sounds incredible the entire disk. I really like her more accessable sound (more pop oriented ) away from Union Station.
    It's a hybrid disk and I was very surprised at how good the Redbook layer was. It's recorded at a higher level than the SACD layer, so when I do an A/B and switch modes on my 555, the redbook ALMOST sounds better than the SACD layer only because it comes through at a higher volume.
    I don't have many SACD's in my collection so far (7). So my comparisons lack a little, but I would say I was less impressed with the difference between redbook and SACD on this disk than with any other disk in my collection that I was able to A/B. With that being said, both layers sound great, so that's not really a knock.
    As for the disk itself, I found the first three tracks to be real catchy and stick with you for a while. The album sort of drags in the middle as Alison loads up on really slow ballads for tracks 4,5 and 7. The end of the album picks up quite a bit again. I would say 5 songs are super good and the rest are not bad. It's definately worth picking up for those 5, especially the title track, "Forget About It".
    If you have any more questions, you know I'll be watching the thread.[​IMG]
    NP: Maxwell's "Now"

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Evan S,

Thanks for the update. I think I will likely go ahead and purchase...

One question: What SACD player and equipment do you have?

Lee

NP: The Persuasions Sing The Beatles (Chesky Records)

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Lee, it's definately worth the purchase. Went to visit my father tonight and was listening to the redbook layer in my car. Great stuff.

Here is my system now, and it will be changing soon. (slightly). Because everything is in flux right now, my setup is quite unorthodox.

I have a Sony SCD-555ES SACD player. Got it in December.

My receiver is a 20 year old H/K 680i (pure 2 channel stereo, no frills).

Paradigm Reference 40's (no sub).

I run my player through the analog L/R in full range to the 40's. No bass management whatsoever.

However, I will soon be acquiring an Anthem AVM-20 processor that I will pair up with an MCA-5II amp. When I get this, I will do bass management in the player and run that into the 5.1 inputs on the Anthem. When I get the AVM-20, I will bring my 555ES out of the bedroom and put it in my main system, which will be Paradigm Studio CC, 40's in front and 20's in the rear with a Mirage BPS-100 powered sub.

But for now, this will have to do. Still sounds great, but I do understand I'm missing some low end.

NP: Joe Carter with Nilson Matta: "2 for 2"