What's new

Alison Krauss Concert DVD (1 Viewer)

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
I havent seen anytinig on this yet, but this is being broadcast in High Def through my PBS station. Looks good. Its on a show called soundstage. Last week was Tom Petty.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
The Soundstage concert on PBS is a wholly different performance than the one on the "Live" DVD. We got our copy of the DVD in time to watch it Thursday evening and then watched the first half-hour of the PBS concert later that night. I preferred the Soundstage presentation. Picture quality was much better of course but the ProLogic stereo sound was surprisingly good. Not really any less enjoyable than the DTS track from the DVD (at least on our somewhat non-musical home theater audio gear).

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
Unfortunately there's no mention that Outlaw ships their products to Fiji, or anywhere else outside of North America. You may be able to get an ICBM off eBay or Audiogon however. A pre/pro would be another choice. Big selling points for the Outlaw 950 pre/pro are not only its affordability, but also its ANALOG bass management. Most other, including high-priced, pre/pros first digitize the input so that the bass management is handled in the digital domain, and then put through the DACs again. OTOH, the 950 has a 'double bass' issue if your system is not set up for the inflexible 80 Hz crossover (this issue is discussed ad nauseum on several forums here and elsewhere). From what I can tell the ICBM and other Outlaw products are designed for 120 V AC.
The Soundstage concert is a full hour concert that's being rerun several more times in glorious HDTV this week, at least here in Michigan. Lucinda Williams, Kasey Chambers and Lyle Lovett are coming up soon. Was a good test of my new DVD-Recorder, which did a nice job even though it was recording the 480i signal via S-Video.

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen two different pictures for the Alison Krauss DVD. One says "2 CD Deluxe Edition" at the bottom (Amazon shows this one), and another that says "Special 2 CD edition" at the top. Are these two different editions or is one just the outer packaging and the other the actual DVD cover?

I ordered one from Amazon, but when it came today, the package was the second variety. I wanted to be sure what I was getting before I opened it, and I'm dying to open it :)

Jack

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Jack, I don't know what those pictures mentioning CDs are all about. This is a DVD set, not CDs. I ordered and received mine from Amazon, and it looks like this (not what Amazon shows as cover art):
Alison Krauss + Union Station Live DVD cover

As shown, the banner at top says "SPECIAL EDITION 2-DISC SET"

Does yours really say 2 CD, or is it 2-DISC?

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
What I think is the deal is that for some reason unbeknownst to me, there are two types of packaging for these DVD discs. One is the regular DVD keepcase (like an Amray), and the other is a jewel box, like an audio CD. For some reason the jewel case version is about $5.00 more, even though the content is the same. Of course it doesn't help that there is also a redbook audio CD and an SACD version of the same concert.
Jim

Jack_TN

Stunt Coordinator
"SPECIAL EDITION 2-DISC SET"
You're right, Glenn. The labeling at the top is '2-Disc'. I wasn't looking at the box when I wrote my post :b The pictures at Amazon and other places show 'Deluxe 2-CD Edition', even though it says DVD right above that.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

I just wanted to be sure if there was some 'deluxe' version' that I got it. Like the others here, I love her music.

Jack

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I picked this up today and watched it. It would have been cool to see the PBS broadcast but I don't get the PBS HD signal very well.

I have to say that after watching the concert I have a bit of a crush on Ms. Krauss. The voice would be reason enough, but seeing her perform and the goofy side of her personality added that much more.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I have to say that after watching the concert I have a bit of a crush on Ms. Krauss.
I suspect you're among the majority of people who've ever seen one of their shows.

I remember the first time I saw them do "Oh, Atlanta" as an encore (much better with no drums, BTW). It was something they had just worked up and hadn't recorded yet. By the last chorus, it was the closest I've ever seen at a Bluegrass concert to people from the audience wanting to mob the stage Beatles-style. A few people were literally shrieking like teenaged girls at a boy band concert.

Alison has to be one of the coolest people on the planet, IMHO.

I noticed in both the DVD and PBS Soundstage concerts that she's opting for an occasional lower alternative to some of the higher notes she has used on the same songs in the past (including on the aforementioned Oh, Atlanta). I hope she's just "singing smarter" to preserve her voice as opposed to suffering from some sort of damage. She's been singing almost daily since a very young age in a genre that has seen quite a few vocal chords overtaxed.

Ross M

Agent
I just ordered the awesome AKUS Soundstage performance on dvd from PBS! Price is $24.95 shipped and takes 4-6 weeks for delivery. You can order by calling 1-800-237-1100. Supposedly widescreen and DD 5.1. I'll compare this dvd to the new Live dvd and post back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks