1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Aligning Speakers with Front of RPTV - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott-C, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

I've heard on this forum that it's not generally a good idea to align the front of your speakers with the front of your RPTV, which I am doing right now so that they are on the same plane as the front of the center channel that is resting on top of the TV.
    Should I move my fronts, and if so, how should I position them? I use my setup almost exclusively for home theater (not much audio at all) and have heard that you want to keep all front speakers on the same plane.
    Any thoughts or assistance would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    My equipment:
    Pioneer Elite DV-37 DVD player
    Yamaha DSP-A3090 amp
    Sony DVP-S7000 (using as a CD transport - I know, not a great idea!)
    Yamaha TX-480 tuner
    Very old Panasonic hi-fi VCR
    DefTech BP10B (front L/R)
    DefTech C1 (center channel)
    Mitsubishi WS-65907 (TV)
    DefTech PF15TL+ (Sub)
    DefTech BP2x (side surrounds)
    ------------------
    Scott

2. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

IMHO you want to keep all of your speakers equidistant from the listen position. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from you to your center channel. Then holding the tape measure from the seat move in a circular direction to either side of your TV. This will insure that all sound has (roughly) the same distance to travel to your ears and you don't have to worry about the TV interferring with your soundstage.
    Sometimes this isn't practical, it wasn't in my setup. HOwever, my center channel actually sits back from the front of my TV and my speakers sit slightly forward so I should have a similiar effect.

3. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Scott you have some excellent gear...I have Def Tech 2000TL's and yamaha dspA1 and they are a FANTASTIC match! Truly amazing sound.
    For music I recommend keeping the towers a bit in front of the rptv because this reduces brightness and reflections off the tv.
    For movies it is much less critical...what you want to do is get a measuring tape and make sure that the distance from each speaker to the listening position is the same (probably best to measure distance from the tweeter to the listening position). So depending on the height of your tv and the distance between your speakers, you may find that the ideal position for the center channel is slightly behind the speakers, not necessarily on the same plane. In my setup I have found things sound best when I keep my center channel even with my mains (on the same plane)...but in other setups it could easily be different. One thing you probably want to do is keep your Def Techs as far apart as possible (since this is a HT setup) and you probably want to keep your center channel as forward as possible on the tv, and you should angle the CC down towards the listening position (use a magazine or book to increase the angle if the angling feet are not sufficient).
    Another tip for movies: don't bother toeing in the speakers much...you might not even need any toe in. With no toe in, the soundstage is truly huge and the sound is virtually the same everywhere in the room. Interestingly, I now think I prefer zero to very little toe in for music because the soundstage is truly huge and the imaging is even better than if they are toed in more. Good luck!
    [Edited last by Bob_A on August 16, 2001 at 04:57 PM]

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

5. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Speakers equidistant is nice in theory...but as pointed out is hard to do in a 5.1 setup. That's why many processors allow you to input your speaker distances. The speed of sound is a known constant (ok yes it does vary somewhat)...but delaying a speaker's output a ms or 2 in the digital domain is not rocket science.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Aligning the speakers with the front of tv looks good for pictures, but it's not usually good for the best sound.
    Many of the general rules for a 2-speaker music system also applies to speaker placement for a HT system.
    Speakers sound better with 2-3 feet of room around them so the L/R speakers are often pulled into the room.
    Depending upon the speaker, many of them sound better if they are toed-in towards the central listener. This is good for 2 reasons:
    - Helps produce a center image
    - Helps reduce early side-wall reflections from the side walls.
    Depending upon the speaker and room, one of 3 ammounts of toe-in sounds best:
    A - Focus about 1 foot behind the listener
    B - Focus exactly on the listener
    C - Focus 1 foot in front of the listener (tradional for music systems)
    A cheap laser-pointer is a nice tool to "see" where your speakers are pointing. Try all 3 placements and pick one.
    Some other tips:
    - Pull the center speaker forward so that it over-hangs the front of the TV by about 1/4 inch. If it is aligned, the sounds can couple from the face of the speaker to the face of the RPTV. (Think of water dripping off the center speaker - you want it to fall in front of the RPTV, not down the screen)
    - Get the center speaker up off of the TV cabinent. Use rubber erasers, rubber door wedges, paperback books, etc. Otherwise some of the sound-vibrations from the speaker will be muffled.
    - The R/L speakers should be a rough 45 degrees out from the center line. (Mine are about 30 degrees so this is not a critical thing).
    - Measure the distance to the tweeter on the center speaker. Pull the L/R speakers into the room so the distance-to-tweeter is the same. (as though you drew a circle centered on the listener.)
    Hope this helps.

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Bob,
    I believe that Scott doesn't have much distance between his speakers (same with me)...I have recently experimented...I used to have a slight toe in. This gave the vocals a good central image, but after reducing my toe in (to virtually no toe in) I have gained a much bigger soundstage (where the sound is virtually the same across the entire room) and I have gained a lot in terms of imaging, while voices are still quite good. So I would say it depends on room and placement issues, particularly distance between the speakers.

8. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to implement a couple of these suggestions and I'll report back on the results.
    I wish I could increase the space between my fronts, but in my current room it's not very easy to do. The HT is in a rec room with some dimensional limitations. About the best I could do is get them on the sides of the RPTV, and that's why there's really only about 4' - 5' of space between them. Any wider and they fire into the sides of objects in their path (side of love seat, etc.).
    Bob-A, for the most part I really like the Yamaha/DefTech pairing except for the fact that it does seem a bit bright. Of course, this could be due to any number of unnamed circumstances, including your thought that it's due to being on the same plane as the RPTV. At any rate, I am considering moving to separates soon (Outlaw 950 and 770, perhaps?). Plus, all you guys have me seriously thinking about an SVS sub...but that's a topic for another thread.
    Thanks!
    ------------------
    Scott
    [Edited last by Scott-C on August 17, 2001 at 09:49 PM]