Aliens vs. Predator

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

2. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Paul Anderson?! My interest in the project just plummetted.
    This is worse than when Raja Gosnell was rumored to be helming that Fantastic Four movie and wanted to style it as a Men In Black type of sci-fi/comedy.
    Blecch. [​IMG]

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I don't really care who's directing it... Aliens and Predators in one movie? I'm there! [​IMG]

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Kami, awesome post. [​IMG]
    I honestly think this might be a blessing in disguise. Apart from the dreadful script, Event Horizon was technically brilliant. I think Paul Anderson, as universally loathed as he is, could end up being the ideal director for this movie.
    I'm there! [​IMG]

5. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Hey, give Anderson a break... at least this gives him better excuse to continue ripping off James Cameron and Ridley Scott. [​IMG] Ugh....
    Dan

6. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Aliens VS. Predator sounds liks a pretty awesome movie. I would love to see these guys fighting each other! The only problem I see is that the 'Aliens' don't have much emotion.

What I mean is, they never really seemed like intelligent enough creatures. They would never really be scared of the Predators They were basically killing machines. Now, the Predator did show intelligence and some emotion. I think it would work best if the Predators were fighting off an infestation by the 'Aliens' or something like that.

I wonder if the Predators and the humans could team up in the end to fight them off? I guess it all depends on what planet it took place on.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

The only movie by him I've seen is "Mortal Kombat", and Anderson did a great job with that one (IMO, would have been even better with an R rating I'm sure).

But he's only done mid-level budget action movies so far, and "Aliens vs Predtaor" would, IMO, require a much morew "grand" film. I think he can pull it off though.

The main concern is of course the script, which I suspect will be atrocious... but who knows.

8. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I actually liked Event Horizon. It was a pretty damn creepy film. I haven't seen Resident Evil yet, but I don't expect much from it.

Anderson could do a good job with this film, as long as the script is worth a squirt of piss.

-Dean-

9. Richard WWW

Richard WWW Stunt Coordinator

I liked Event Horizon (How can you not like a film with Laurence Fishburne??), and Resident Evil was all right for being a video game/horror movie. But Alien v. Predator? This is just another ruse to rob us of our cash by coming up with an interesting premise and then throwing as much mediocre talent at it as Hollywood can muster....

10. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Shawn already hit upon the biggest problem the script will have. Who will be your protagonist?

The Predator had the appeal of being mysterious. If the audience is made to understand it's language and culture then it starts to become a surrogate for a "tough guy" human which was already done in both films.

If we don't identify or understand them, then you are talking about something like 2001, in terms of alienating audiences by having no dialog, no setup. That approach is great for 2001, not so hot for a b-grade action flick.

So the third option becomes human involvement for the protagonist. It's probably the only good option, but it would seem that you wouldn't want to bring it to modern Earth like Predator was because of the Alien series. You probably would instead want it on a colony planet or spaceship.

Maybe the humans are already fighting the aliens when a predator or group of predators stumbles into the situation and is intrigued by the dangerous prey that the aliens are. Then humans spend the rest of the film trying to survive the crossfire. You've got your setup, a protagonist and an objective while both alien types remain mysterious to the audience.

I don't think a team-up would be such a good idea for the same reason that you don't want to fully identify with the predator in the first place.

Anderson ripping off Cameron in an Aliens style would certainly be perfect for the basic premise if the script is done well.

11. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

AvsP was already done over 10 years ago by Dark Horse comics. Humans caught in the middle are your protagonist. The Predators are there to hunt the Aliens, and the Aliens just want to eat/implant everyone

12. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm their too! This has been talked about for years, and now it may actually happen! [​IMG]
    I have a small problem with Paul Anderson directing though. He did a DECENT job with Mortal Kombat, but I think he's out of his league with a movie of this caliber.

13. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Watch the protagonists be a group of hip, young teenages/twentysomethings, who kick ass to the tune of a limp-noodled watered-down electronica/pop hybrid.
    This thing will have a PG-13 rating, mark my word. Nevermind the decent R the earlier films of each franchise had.
    I'm waiting to eat crow. But Anderson is a hack whose best work has been Event Horizon, and even that wasn't that great. [​IMG]
    I hate him, I hate him, I hate him!!! THE SONUVABITCH IS PORKING MILLA JOVAVICH!!!!!!!!!!!
    There.
    I said it.
    It's out now.
    I'm exposed.
    Have at you.

14. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Matthew,
    I think you may need a prescription for the chill pill my man! [​IMG]
    As far as Anderson doing Milla Jovavitch goes, all I can say is he is one lucky son of a bitch! [​IMG]

15. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I love all four of the ALIEN films, and I love both of the PREDATOR films, so I am so there when this film opens! Also, Anderson's EVENT HORIZON and RESIDENT EVIL were both great in my opinion, so I have no problem with the guy.

16. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

17. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I want this as must as most of you, & I'm willing to give Anderson a shot...( hey, Event Horizon looks incredible,so what if there is no plot?)

But....this has been in limbo hell for years....&, like Jeff pointed out, was an excellent Dark Horse comic series.

So,until I hear that production has started, I won't hold my breath...

Calvin

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Event Horizon? No plot?? What you say?? [​IMG]
    But it is great looking, IS genuinely creepy until... (let me know if I'm alone here) drum roll please...
    "A DIMENSION OF PURRE EEEVILL..." [​IMG]
    WTF?? [​IMG] Sam Neill turned that movie into a nightmare from that line on...literally!
    AvP? Yeah I'll watch that! Just please oh please give Mr. Anderson a good HARD R-Rated script, lots of cash-money, and some good actors, and he'll give us a GREAT film.
    -D

19. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I don't see why so many bust Paul W. S. Anderson's balls. He's a great fun director and I loved all his sci-fi movies, spooky Event Horizon, moody Soldier, and of course Resident Evil is in my Top 10, so MY hopes have skyrocketed, first of all there is something more or less concrete, the project is moving forward with a director hired, and secondly, such a great director for this movie, I wouldn't pick any other besides maybe Tony Scott knowing that Ridley and Cameron wouldn't do it. So I'm happy.
    [​IMG]

20. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I just think that Paul Anderson makes everyone nervous because his films are so hit and miss, but mostly miss. Their's a real dangerous chance that he'll screw it up.
    Me, I would love to see John McTiernan direct this! Let's just forget about Last Action Hero shall we. [​IMG]