What's new

Aliens that explode from butts+stand by me = Dreamcatcher= good movie (1 Viewer)

Mark E J

Second Unit
Can someone please put what was in the original (cut scenes) ending in some spoiler tags?

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I saw this in the theater and was just unimpressed. Didn't hate it or love it. It was just there.

For some reason, I convinced myself to check it out again on DVD... and I couldn't tell you why, but I actually really enjoyed it at home! For some reason, I just had more fun with it. Maybe it was because my friends weren't sitting next to me making jokes about it. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I was truly disappointed with the ending, as most people were, but I did enjoy the film up until right around where Mr. Gray kills Pete.
At that point I began to realize that it wasn't just an ambiguous plot...it really wasn't going anywhere & I knew it wasn't going to end well...it didn't.

I guess some of the CGI wasn't exactly the best in all of cinema but I thought the CGI work for the first appearance of Mr. Gray was pretty good.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
The original ending was the same up until the moment when Duddits enters the room. Instead of Mr. Grey impaling him and Duddits turning all alien, Duddits weaves a dreamcatcher which slams Grey into the wall. Grey disintegrates into red dust and blows away. The last scene is at the cemetary, where the two remaining friends sing at Duddits' graveside. Cue credits. It's a better ending because Dud ain't no stinkin' alien, but Grey is still a big monster, which I LOATHE!

So there you go.

Chris Joyner

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone notice that Dudditz was played by Donnie Walhberg? This guy is turning into quite the actor. In this and "The Sixth Sense", he is unrecognizable.

Mark E J

Second Unit
Thanks Anthony,

How is the A/V quality of the original ending? Is is completed with music and everything, or is it in rough form?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
who is Donnie Walhberg or were should know him from?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I didn't find Dreamcatcher to be as bad as many critics labeled it, but it certainly was a bad movie. As for the plot being incomprehensible, well, I thought it was pretty much plain as day. My problem is that it just didn't WORK. I mean, come on:

If all it would take to infect the entire world population was ONE worm in the water supply, why not just drop it in from space? These aliens had developed interstellar space travel, but they couldn't get ONE measly larvae into an acceptable water supply on Earth in over 10 years of trying? Pretty pathetic.
That line near the end of the movie just blew the whole thing for me. It was a pretty shaky vehicle up until that point anyway, but it went right down the toilet (no pun intended) with that one bit of dialogue. And hey laddie, what the heck was up with those eyebrows on Morgan Freeman?!? At any rate, if you like the film enough to keep the DVD, the transfer is pretty much reference quality.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
who is Donnie Walhberg or were should know him from?
Have you ever watched the Steven Speilberg/Tom Hanks World WarII series Band Of Brothers? H eplayed a major role in that seires as Carwood Lipton.
He is also one of the main characters, "Joel Stevens" in the television show Boomtown.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And he was also a member of New Kids On The Block I believe, in addition to being Mark Wahlbergs brother, who was Marky Mark in another life.;)

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
As for the plot being incomprehensible, well, I thought it was pretty much plain as day.
Why does Mr. Grey speak with an British accent? Is he a British alien?
What is the significance of the Dreamcatcher? Why is the movie even called Dreamcatcher? (No fair referencing the book or the alternate ending.)
Why did Tom Sizemore's character believe Thomas Jane so quickly? What exactly made him believeable? Was it the talking into the gun bit?
Why was Morgan Freeman's character so insane? Why was he so adamently after the aliens? Who does his eyebrows? Who made up those incredibly corny lines during the air raid on the alien ship?
Why was Jason Lee's character so intent on picking up those toothpicks? (I think that's what he was after while on the toilet.)
And finally, (and apologies for any possible vulgarity) why do the grown aliens look like running vaginas?

Many of these things were explained in the book (OK, not the vagina bit), but in the movie just don't make sense. I guess I was looking too hard but I certainly expected more out of the movie given the people involved. That's probably my mistake, but for me it was just a big disaster.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Marvin - I agree that the specific plot POINTS you list above are begging for answers. I was referring to the plot as a whole story. In that regard it's pretty simple - stupid aliens try to conquer Earth, face resistance from an "elite" paramilitary force, four friends from a different screenplay and lots of innocent forest creatures minding their own business get caught in the middle.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mr Gray takes over Jonesy, but Jonesy is still in there resisting. Mr Gray's accent is the real accent of the actor who plays Jonesy--as revealed in the making of documentary Jonesy is portrayed by a Brit.

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
The Brit accent was obviously just a shorthand to show the audience when it was Jonesy and when it was Mr. Grey...I don't get why people make such a big deal over that particular point.

If the movie had followed the book (LIKE IT BLOODY WELL SHOULD HAVE!) then there'd be an additional excuse to give him a Brit accent. But oh well. :)

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
And finally, (and apologies for any possible vulgarity) why do the grown aliens look like running vaginas?
With all those teeth? OUCH! Did you really have to make that comparison?:D

All in all, I thought it was a pretty good movie. It followed the book closely enough that it still felt familiar. (Except the ending, of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks