What's new

Aliens non-SE available? (1 Viewer)

Stas T

Stunt Coordinator
Was there ever or is there still or will there ever be an Aliens disc featuring the theatrical cut? Thanks for any info.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
There is no version now available on DVD, and I don't believe there is one planned in the future. Maybe Peter Staddon could chime in and give you a definite answer.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
It would be lovely to have a theatrical/extended disc using seamless branching. Not sure if that will ever happen though. The longer cut only exists on (professional) video, unlike The Abyss which had it's extended cut created on film.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Hey, Rob, that reply slightly confuses me. Are you saying that the current DVD was mastered from video and not from film? It looks pretty good to me - the 'blues' artefacting aside.
Or are you saying there's a longer cut only available on video?
Personally I am happy to have the longer version but agree that a branching edition would have been nice. I guess it wasn't possible to do it easily when this title was mastered. Even T2 is meant to give people some problems isn't it?
Theo
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I could have sworn that most of the reinserted footage has it's own chapter stops.. I'm probably wrong, but I don't really think that there's much of a lapse. Hudson's theories on the Aliens and "Dwayne, it's Dwayne" are the only bits I can think of offhand. It's been a while, and as such I know what I'll be watching this evening.
wink.gif

I won't be rebuying it unless there is some decent extras on a rerelease. (Paging Van Ling..)

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Are you saying that the current DVD was mastered from video and not from film?
Correct. The longer cut was assembled on video only. Obviously not VHS though :)
The extended version of The Abyss was created on film and received a short theatrical run.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
This is definitely a film that deserves one of those Anchor Bay 2-disc LE-type deals. I doubt it'll happen though...
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
It would be lovely to have a theatrical/extended disc using seamless branching. Not sure if that will ever happen though. The longer cut only exists on (professional) video, unlike The Abyss which had it's extended cut created on film.
What does that have to do with branching?

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Continuity: When Ripley retrieves some weapons to rescue Newt, she picks up one weapon from the rack, puts a different one down on the floor, picks up the second weapon from the rack, and puts the first one down on the floor. This is fixed in the special edition.
This is a quote from IMDB, and it's correct! In the theatrical cut a cutting error was made, so that a flamethrower became a pulse rifle and vice versa. This is fixed in all special editions UP TO THIS DVD!!!
What I'm saying is: The DVD cut still contains the cutting error (I'm 100% certain, I've checked several times). So that means this version wasn't sourced from the same master as the previous versions! Surprised?
Well, me too when I found out! :)
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I read that the new DVD was finished on film, as upposed to video. That would explain it
Jeff Kleist

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Surely they must have a film version somewhere, though. I mean, it wasn't shot on professional video, was it? So I guess if they wanted to do an ultimate edition then they could go the whole hog.
Nice to have an XSE of Alien with the deleted scenes restored to pristine and stuck back in. Though I realise the coccoon sequence doesn't exactly allow for the sequel it was totally fantastic, IMO.
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Right Jeff, that would for sure explain the difference, seems like the editors forgot about that little mistake.
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
There'd be a good chance of a change in 'look' when branching from one version to another.
Why? There's no change in "look" on the current DVD of the extended version. If they added branching such that you could play the theatrical version by skipping over the extra scenes, what would change?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
When the DVD box set of the Alien films was released in 1999 I seem to recall reading (I don't remember where but I will try to find out where) that although the 1992 LD of the Aliens Directors cut was assembled on video only, the DVD version was newly (at the time) re-assembled on film specifically for that box set.
I definitely remember reading this somewhere in 99'.
------------------
-Kevin M.
I can brave the nastiest weather, even when it's eighty below.
My Pa was an Elephant, but that's irrelevant,
My Ma was an Eskimo."
- Cannibal the Musical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks