Aliens Laserdiscs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stan hiller, Mar 7, 2003.

1. stan hiller

stan hiller Extra

I've so far owned two versions of the 'Aliens' laserdiscs - the first being the boxset released some years back - very comprehensive but with a very poor grainy transfer - I was so disapointed that I sold it after a few weeks, and my current laserdisc, the first ac3 version which has a much better transfer and DD to boot.
    However, I'd like to get my hands on the 'special edition' laserdisc but do not know if this was ever released onto laserdisc - can anyone enlighten me as to how many versions were released?

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    I think those are the only two widescreen versions that were released, the CAV SE (with poor transfer and lots of extras) and the THX theatrical cut (with improved transfer and no extras). The best thing to do (unless you'd like to wait for the forthcoming DVD rerelease) is get the DVD, which has a nice transfer of the longer version and extras.

DJ

3. Armand G

Armand G Stunt Coordinator

4. Declan

Declan Second Unit

i've the old PAL LD Special edition and the sound of the r2 DVD is far better than the LD. Is that the Dolby Digital theatrical cut on LD your on about?

5. stan hiller

stan hiller Extra

Declan - if memory serves, there was a PAL version of the special version but like ALL pal discs, these were dolby surround only so my choice was to either buy the pal special edition or the ntsc standard length ac3 version - given that I had just bought my first dolby digital amp, there really was no choice!

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I've heard side by side the Theatrical Cut LD and the Director's Cut DVD's Dolby Digital and as far as my ears are concerned they sound very similar.

7. Armand G

Kevin,

Listen again! In particular to the bass extension. Bass extension is far far superior. Ask anybody on the forum who compared them.

Declan,

The PAl laserdisc sounds crappy just like all Pal ld's. That was the reason I never bought Pal ld's. In the first place the were extremely expensive. Secondly the were of really bad mastering quality compared to the NTSC discs. And yes it's the DD THX theatrical cut I am talking about.

8. Declan

Declan Second Unit

yea, even though PAL LD's were only Pro-logic some of them really powered out the sound (Dantes peak for example, although I did'nt have a dolby digital amp at the time i got it, i wish I bought the NTSC version).

and yes the picture quality on the Aliens SpEd Pal LD was shitty to say the least........ but still way better than my old VHS copy which is most likely 12 feet under at some dump somewhere at the min.

9. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

No need for me to listen again, I did this less than two months ago and as far as I was concerned there was little difference in the DD, now the bass level on the PCM tracks were IMO much higher than the LFE on the DD in comparison but the DD tracks were for the most part the same to my ear.

10. Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot Supporting Actor

Joel Fontenot
    I guess I'm the only person in the whole world who actually likes the grainy look of the Aliens Special Edition Laserdisc boxed set.

I sure that this is the movie that supposedly Cameron kept twisting the arm of the telecine operator to the point where the operator thought the transfer just plain sucked, but I think Cameron knew what he wanted - a gritty and dirty look - and he got it. I think it fits the movie just fine.

It's the side changes that kill me.[​IMG]

Joel

11. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    The best thing now about the CAV laser disc box set are the supplements. There are incredibly thorough and entertaining, and I don't even think the mighty 9 disc DVD set coming later this year will be able to compete with them.

Neil

12. Declan

Declan Second Unit

what all was on it anyway?

13. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

14. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Actually according to the LD's text, that interview (which is on the current DVD BTW) was conducted just before or after the release of the film in 86.
    IMO the true level of excellence in the DC LD's supplements are the extensive script work and production design sketches & photos which are present, but severely cut down, on the 1999 DVD.

15. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

I can't comment on the differences between the dvd and LD of Aliens audio wise, but can on Alien, that was the dvd that was screwed up compared to the LD, especially in terms of bass. Armand, don't you mean this film or was the sequel's dvd flawed as well?

16. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

17. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My theory: Don't worry about the extended version at all; the theatrical release, which you have on good LD already, is a much better movie. So find the CAV box set on Ebay, enjoy the extras, and watch the LD when you want to see the movie.

18. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

19. Armand G

Indeed Deanwalsh the Aliens dvd was flawed as well in terms of audio. Also very thin sounding and lack of bass extension.

20. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

My humble opinion:

The extended cut on R1 DVD is far better a movie than the theatrical cut. The added scenes of Riply dealing with the loss of her daughter at the onset present a dynamic that makes her "adoption" of the little girl much more intesnse for me. I also don't mind seeing a little bit more of the planet with the colonists before the team arrive.

In any case. the 16x9 transfer is a welcome improvement over the laserdisc (yes, even grainy films look more "film like" in 16x9). Agreed that the PCM sound on the theatrical LD sounds great...as do all PCM soundtracks. However...that's true with just about *every* laserdisc when comparing to the 5.1 DD on DVD...the PCM 2.0 almost always sounds richer, fuller, more natural, and often deeper with stronger bass.

The 5.1 on the DVD isn't "bad" and maybe one day they'll manage to get 5.1 DD to sound as good as old-fashioned 2.0 PCM...but that's not a reason to skip the DVD. If it were, then we'd have to skip virually *all* DVDs in favor of their PCM-2.0 laserdisc originals!