What's new

Aliens and Ghosts.. (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
NOTE: I don't want to start an argument or angry debate. Just stating my thoughts on this very interesting subject.

Well, they'd sure like that show to continue to put supper on the table... ;)

But who knows? Maybe a little perseverance/determination and they'll provide the proof to shock the world. But as of now you could probably come up with a long list of possibly explanations for that 15%. Give it try.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I point you to the "Teleportation" thread to show you how much you are incorrect. Suffice it to say that you know nothing about science and even less about scientists if you think they accept "the findings of science as gospel". If that were so, no scientific progress would be possible because the scientific method would not exist. Science is observation, theory, experimentation, verification. If someone observes a ghost, a scientist will make up a plausible theory, then one will conduct experiments in order to verify the theory. Easy peazy. If you think no scientists have theorized about ghosts, ET's, etc, you are sorely mistaken. Unfortunately, scientists have to deal with a little thing called "reality". Until the "proof" is actually "provable", I'm afraid the existence of "ghosts" is shit out of luck (and that ain't the scientist's fault, it's the damn ghost's for not sticking his head out more often).

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

:eek:

Chemistry, physics, and electrical engineering come from the heart and not through scientific discovery?

You can listen to your "life force," I'll stick to the evidence.

For the record, I do believe that life exists outside of Earth but I don't believe in ghosts.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I assure you, BrianW is speaking (writing) in highly sarcastic tones. He would never say it, but my experience with his excellent writings on science present in other threads assures me this post is his subtle way of telling someone to go shit in their hat. :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've been a believer in the paranormal all my life and am not given to influence by what I see on television and in the tabloids.

I do question, i'm not naive, I read and I listen, those that say that "it's the house settling or rats in the walls" aren't, IMO, considering the possibility that it is what it is, an unexplained occurance due to a presance. I also happen to think that ghosts and haunting phenominon are no big deal, they are harmless most of the time and they are simply part of the unknown universe.

So there's a ghost in the house, big deal, it's not hurting me or anyone else.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
There was a blurb about extraordinary claims, evidence and burden of proof earlier. Did you get it?

--
H

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
(Note: it probably would have taken longer if there had been a spellcheck, but somehow the misspelling seems to fit).:D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It’s not anyone’s responsibility to prove a negative, John. It’s up to the person making the extraordinary claim to provide positive proof of it. The SciFi TV show isn’t it, either. Why would people like you (ie those interested in the paranormal) bother to watch a show that says “sorry guys, there’s nothing here”? They know who they’re playing to.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
oh, okay. :D I'd love to see a ghost. I've only ever had those corner of the eye sitings. Once I saw these weird symbols on my window blinds. I'm sure it was the leaves on the tree outside. But it sure looked like something sinister. I've heard voices (I sleep with ear plugs, so it would have to be loud). I dog barked in the middle of the night once but I woke up to a person screaming. It turned into my dog barking. So I don't know! Maybe my dog is possessed. :crazy:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm being honest with you. Don't walk away thinking different.

Seriously, think things through fully. It's much more fun to believe in Santa Claus, but that don't make it the real thing even though mom and dad gave you "eye-witness accounts". Same with ghosts and stuff. ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
FYI, BrianW's interesting post was written with tongue firmly in cheek. Rest assured, the gentleman appreciates science.

(Don't we have a thread like this one about once or twice a year?)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yup, and it is usually BrianW's excellent writing that comes in to bail out my shoot from the hip, over sensitive, blunt instrument style, so that a group hug all around is the end result. I'm glad I could return the favor lest anyone else miss his subtle brand of sarcasm, uhhm, err, commentary. ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
To expand on Brian’s superbly written post, no rational person could possibly say that the level of knowledge about reality acquired via the scientific method is not vastly greater and vastly more useful than using one’s “intuition” or “feelings” (IOW not using science). Really, what sensible person prefers a faith healer or witch doctor to a modern medical doctor? An alchemist to a modern chemist? An astrologer to a modern astronomer? A man with a “divining rod” to a modern geologist? Look around you and tell me how much of modern civilization could exist without science, and how much knowledge of the world was acquired to make it happen.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, there are the mystics, the paranormalists and the Luddites in this world that would quite prefer the things you mention over their scientific equivalents, with no more thought given to the process that "it just feels correct". :frowning:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Here you have gone from an unfounded belief, to actually believing that you can know not only the phenomena, but the personality.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Once again, as what happens to every thread like this one, the believer always becomes the subject of mildly disguised taunts under the guise of "speaking scientifically and honestly".

And you wondered why I used a word like 'kook' in my earlier post, because that's how people ultimately see a guy like me, and you know what, so be it. You guys want proof when you can't even provide proof to the contrary (yes I did read that earlier, Holadem), so, you can't provide solid proof and I can't provide solid proof, so now what?

More wheel spinning I suppose.

This is a no win situation for either party, surely you can see that?

You believe what you like and i'll do the same.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
You know what would be fun, but tough to arrange?

Have a Home Theater Forum 'UFO Night' and Ghost night. For the Ghost night, the areas that have the most concentrated HTF Members go out to a local haunted location and spend the night with Video Cameras, Technical Readers and electricity spike detectors, and even a local credited psychic.
Document the whole thing on camera and post one noce a month. Who knows, maybe someone will find something?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
If you're firm on what you believe then stick with it! You're taking everything here personal? Why? It's just a forum and people from all over the place are going to have opinions different from yours quite often. I'm not taking anything personal that you've said. I sure as hell didn't call you a kook. The most I said was give these things some thought before you draw your conclusion. I really don't think you are doing that.

In discussions EVERYBODY wins.

I'll question my own thoughts and beliefs if someone gives me a reason to. Give me a reason. ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Did you read my post where I said no one needs to prove a negative, John? It simply makes no sense to say “anything is true unless proven otherwise”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks