What's new

ALIEN will be most possibly getting 25th anniversary S.E release when time comes... (1 Viewer)

YANG

Screenwriter
...or even better,the whole new ALIEN series in a whole new boxset with whole new content and audio...but that will be four/three more years to go.Will the current DVD format be able to survive until that day?Or this upcoming...whole new release will only be playable with only new players?

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Is a kind of guy that takes things with a grain of salt (in this case a huge grain of salt) I would sure like to see some reliable sources that can back up your statement.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
A Little Slice of Heaven
[Edited last by HenrikTull on October 20, 2001 at 04:04 AM]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would say there is truth to some of the
information.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

YANG

Screenwriter
Just in case that some reader had missed/misled by the topic header.I used the words "when time comes..."
Apologies to all.I do not have any hard solid proofs to what i claims.But it is very logical especially the DVD format is getting to its 6th birthday.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
What could they do to it to make it any better. Maybe a cast commentary or something but Alien is one of the best SE's I own. Yeah, there could be garnish but that's about it.
Sounds like Alien³ could do with some heavy work, though. I never liked it when I first saw it so I've not bothered with gettting hold of the movie but people say there's loads cut out the Fincher wanted to stick in and I guess Fox might let him go back...
Theo
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
quote: I would say there is truth to some of the
information.[/quote]
I'll back up what Ron said that there is some truth to the information but not entirely so........
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on October 20, 2001 at 05:09 AM]

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Okay... care to share with the rest of the class instead of keeping it cryptic?
I suspect that if Ron and Robert could say more, they would. Since they haven't, I guess they can't. They mostly posted so this didn't turn into one of those, "Yeah, so how do you know?" threads.
Regards,
Joe

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It may end up being just a re-packaging of the first release, Only with the 5th disc from the box set that had to be mailed off for Included as part of a 2 disc set.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Perhaps Fox is simply going to reissue these titles with a price drop? As TheoGB said, there really isn't anything to improve upon with the Alien disc. Aliens, however, could have used some more extras - it'd be nice if Fox did revisit that title. Enough has been said of Alien 3 - we'll probably never see Fincher's cut and that's that. Alien Resurrection....well, I've seen it twice and have no desire to view it again. I seriously doubt that Fox would be interested in doing an SE of it.
We'll just have to wait and see. There are a lot of great titles coming out in the next year so I'm in no hurry to see new editions of these movies anytime soon...
------------------
My top ten movies that need to be on dvd:
1. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams 2. Freaks 3. Men With Guns 4. The Ninth Configuration 5. The Reflecting Skin 6. Santa Sangre 7. Treasure of the Sierra Madre 8. Voyager 9. White Heat 10. Wings of Desire

YANG

Screenwriter
What i was thinking...
DVD makes very great moves within these three years...not only the hardware,which now features capabilities such as SACD,DVD-A and progressive scan but also the softwares which now are more feature laden and more DTS releases with the support from CTHV's SUPERBIT DVDs.
Starting the countdown from now,till the 25th anniversary of ALIEN...HDDVD format may possibly be available or a standard by that time...?
Will any future advance products,both the software and hardware be compatible to what we have now,hardwares?And most importantly SOFTWARES???
If the current software format is still a standard when the day comes,the only thing that i can think of that will make the reissue more better than the current edition is a remaster in audio and visual quality...Maybe DTS,maybe DDEX or DTSES or even other formats...7.1 surround or 8.1 surround or even more???

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Starting the countdown from now,till the 25th anniversary of ALIEN...HDDVD format may possibly be available or a standard by that time...?
Think you're being a tiny little bit optimistic here. Maybe for the 30th anniversary, but not for it's 25th. The problem as I see it is that the studios has spent a whole lot of money on devoloping DVD and therefore it would make no sense to release a new video format that early. Sorry Yang, but I would assume you're stuck with DVD for still some time.
------------------
A Little Slice of Heaven

YANG

Screenwriter
"Sorry Yang, but I would assume you're stuck with DVD for still some time."
I will be very happy if the format is stable for such a long time,i will not have to worry about backward compatibilities of both softwares and hardwares.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I read elsewhere that the Digital Bits have posted a Rumor Mill item that Alien will be released as a 5-Star title. They are moving to a new server at the moment and my DNS hasn't caught up, so I can't confirm that, but if true, it might be fun (just speculation on my part) to put the Legacy documentary on Disc Two as well as all the other supplements, crank up the bit rate on disc one and add DTS a la Superbit.
Not sure if I'd buy it, though, since I have the Legacy documentary and don't think a rebuy would be worth it just for DTS. If I didn't have the doc, though, it'd be tempting.
Ryan

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I don't think it would be very economical on Fox' part to rerelease the Alien saga (or a Alien: Five Star Collection) for the time being. The discs that are out now are great and well worth the price. No sale here for a rerelease.
------------------
A Little Slice of Heaven

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Okay, so what improvements can be made to the Alien DVD release?
1. DTS/commentaries/isolated scores on disc 1, extras on disc 2;
2. Include the new Alien series documentary (which I believe is being shown on TV tomorrow, at least here in the UK);
3. Give us the original theatrical cut of Aliens, seamlessly branched of course with the SE;
4. Include all other extras absent from the current DVD set which were on previous LDs;
5. The Fincher cut of Alien^3 (AKA the Alien Series Holy Grail), seamlessly branched;
6. Make an SE of Alien Resurrection. I love the fourth film, and I surely can't be the only one. Hey, it's got Winona Ryder, Dan Hedaya, Michael Wincott, not to mention the ever-excellent Brad Dourif!
7. Anything else I've forgotten; perhaps DVDROM content to include all old Alien games (running via emulators)... :)

Heinz W

Second Unit
ScottR said:
quote: So, should I buy it in the next year or not?[/quote]
I myself only recently purchased the first two films and concur with the others who said the current disc of Alien is an above-average DVD. Not much room for improvement. The Ridley Scott commentary is excellent, as is the transfer.
Aliens could use a little more in the extras dept. but is overall a fairly decent edition, and obviously the best this film has ever looked at home.
I don't particularly care for 3 and 4, so I didn't get the box (I would have if that fifth disc was still available). If you like 'em all you should be able to find the box for about $60.00; the local Wal-Mart had it at that price.
[Edited last by Heinz W on October 20, 2001 at 04:47 PM]

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Sharpline Arts, the company that created the supplemental material for the ALIEN DVD, have already said online that they regretted the loss of various bonus materials from the disc. The original LD Special Edition had a lot of additional stuff and Sharpline apparently rescanned and prepped this material to go on the new DVD, but it was never included. The comment from Sharpline Arts was that Fox were still dipping into DVD production and at that time hadn't fully embraced deluxe 2-disc sets, but the disc was still very good for what it was.
Aside from the Alien Legacy doco, Sharpline also reportedly have a lot of extra interview footage with H.R.Giger that hasn't yet been released, although they've mentioned that they'd like to make it available to fans at some point. If the Legacy doco, the extra still-frame materials and this bonus Giger footage was included in a 5-Star re-release of ALIEN, I'd buy it.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
Me too. I've never picked up this disc largely because of the whole 5th disc of extras in the box making me feel like the single disc is likely to be bundled with it in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks