What's new

"Alien vs Predator" to get R rated director's cut DVD? (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
quote:BBFC lists the runtime as 100m 39s and they are accurate when it comes to this stuff.

---

DID the BBFC actually time it themselves, or was this simply RT info that FOX submitted?

To roughly quote a review in the Seatttle Times(and others):

'Though FOX promotion claims AVP as 101minutes, the film moved very quickly-I noted by my watch that less than 90 minutes went by before the credits started rolling'

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
I went to a 12:40pm show yesterday, and left the theater (when the credits rolled) at 2:22pm (turned the cell ringer back on on my way out, so saw the clock). Given that there were the usual 10 mins or so of ads & commercials, I'd peg it at about 90 mins.

As for the movie itself, there were a LOT of bad elements, I'm not sure a DC could save this film, and I didn't mind Predator 2 (or the latter two Aliens). There were one or two nods to the other series that I liked (though very brief, e.g. weyland's knife bit). I found myself bored in the first 1/3, your standard "mega-bazillionaire gathers a team for a mysterious expedition" - complete with the "pay for your XYZ for a year" offers (twice), where XYZ = favored eco-cause or archealogical dig. Very Jurassic, even with the Helicopter ride (which I guess coulda been trying to nod to Pred1, but not likely).

A variety of bad points (semi spoilers, but not really): Spoiler:
·Using the line "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." Twice.

·The predator's build and fighting style was more... wrestlerish than I recall from the first two films; it's really apparant in the 1on1 fight with the alien when he stands up and does the 'bring it on/come to me' kind of stance.

·The pred's have infrared vision that outlines abandoned buildings (wood/sheet metal)... in the Antarctic... with no inherent heating...

·The preds now have xray-ish vision (e.g. looking at weyland's chest). OK, I can stand that, you know, the helmets probably got upgraded in the last 15 or 20 years).

·The Alien Queen was frozen, presumably for at least 100 years, and revived but the method of disposal at the end of the film is going to work? Sequel bait?

·They are in the Antarctic, it's horribly cold, but you never see anyone's breath. And the heroine loses her jacket in the final scene, but even has a bit of sweat on her during the Pred2 ripoff portion (before she leisurely strolls over to some handy equipment, presumably to warm up)

·The final Chestburster made me want to scream at the screen. Seriously. It was just wrong. horribly horribly wrong.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
quote:In other words the UK might be getting the director's cut theatrically instead of having to wait for the DVD release.

paul anderson said in a q&a that the vfx for the movie wasn't finsihed and that's one of the main reason it got cut. he wasn't happy about the situation. since vfx take time to make i highly doubt you gonna see the full version of avp in theaters. it might be the case that fox release the d.c. completed just like george lucas did with the extended episode 1 on dvd and the included deleted scenes.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
This movie was rushed just to be a big cash in on Freddy Vs Jason. I guess the whole VS thing is better then the needless re-makes we've seen recently. Bring on Robocop vs Terminator next summer!

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
Please don't give them anymore ideas. I mean we're already hearing about Gremlins VS Ghoulies and Chuckie VS Leprechaun being in the works.

biggrin.gif
Just kidding, at least I hope I am.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
You'd better be kidding. Everyone knows it should be "Gremlins vs. Critters."
biggrin.gif

(Don't laugh; they're both Warner properties)
eek.gif

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Fox keeps turning down my draft script for Alien vs. Die Hard. Sheesh, you'd think a studio might be willing to try something new every now and then.

Steven Gebs

Stunt Coordinator
whatever happened to the R rated directors cut?

complete fabrication? It's almost been a year...has anyone heard anything?

Frank@N

Screenwriter

It is odd.

FOX already double-dipped on all the titles that were released with AVP (I-Robot, Man on Fire, Day After).

Only difference is those DVD had no extras, which almost shouted 'Two Disc Coming Soon!'.

AVP had some extras, so FOX might not have planned to double-dip later.

I don't want to buy AVP again, so I guess I don't care.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Paul WS Anderson claimed that all sorts of footage was cut but practically every other person with any connection whatsoever to the production of "Alien vs. Predator" has completely denied that the film was ever intended to be anything but a PG-13 film. In any case, the rumors that they were aiming for a PG-13 were circulating the second the long-delayed production started gaining momentum. The simple fact of the matter is this: Paul WS Anderson directorial style is the very definition of mediocrety and his films don't even make that much money but he keeps getting hired in Hollywood because he does as he's told. Fox hired him to write and direct a dumb "vs." movie that a bunch of braindead 14-year-olds would see and that's what he delivered. When the majority of fans of the "Alien" series, the "Predator" series and the "AvP" concept cried foul at the cinematic abortion that he unleashed upon us, he tried to save face by covering up his complete lack of respect and understanding of what made the film's predecessors work by blaming the film's many flaws on outside factors like studio pressure. There is no R-rated footage, and even if there was it would be absolutely miraculous if it was enough to raise the quality of this cinematic trainwreck to a single star on a four-star scale. If you want to see a watchable better version of "Alien vs. Predator" just forget you ever saw Paul WS Anderson's piece of crap and hope that Fox hires a decent director to make the sequel.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Not true that those first three had no extras:

Robot: audio commentary, featurette, stills

Fire: two audio commentaries

Day After: two audio commentaries, deleted scenes, "Audio Anatomy"

Those aren't all that "feature-deficient" compared to

AvP: two audio commentaries, deleted scenes, featurette

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I had all four titles at one point, but sold off all but AVP.

Guess I was suggesting that in general Robot/Man/Day only had 'Disc 1 type' extras (commentary, deleted scenes, maybe a quick featurette).

I didn't care for Robot, so I can't say if the featurette was extensive or not (but I'm guessing it wasn't).

My subjective recollection is that AVP had more extras than the others.

It had more stills than I had time to go through and the featurette was longer than I expected.

So that's my subjective theory regarding the lack of an R1 AVP double-dip: it had a decent amount of extras to start with.

If anyone else has any other theories, I'm listening.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

ALIEN3 and ALIEN:RESURRECTION "worked", huh? I think you'll find a VAST amount of ALIEN/ALIENS fans who dislike (or even hate) both of those sequels -- plus a lot of people who didn't like PREDATOR 2 either.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor

It's a good disc but there IS a 2-disc Special Edition available outside the U.S. that has a whole second DVD of trailers, documentaries and featurettes. The movie also did pretty well at the box office ($80 million domestic) so I'm positive you'll see another AVP once they work on a sequel or whatever spin-off they're planning to do. It's the same deal with LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN -- the 2-Disc International DVD set has twice as many deleted scenes as are on the U.S. disc, plus trailers and other featurettes that they left off the American release (possibly holding it over for another release).

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

If I remeber correctly he also claimed that there was a ton of gore cut out of Resident Evil too but that turned out to be a lie. He doesn't seem to be very credible.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

"Alien3" is vastly underrated. "Alien Resurrection" at least has some merit, at least it's somewhat visually interesting and the characters are more memorable than those in "AvP" at the very least. "Predator 2" is pretty stupid and crappy but it's still a pretty fun movie. Regardless, a competent director should have been able to easily make an "AvP" movie that was better than "Alien Resurrection" and "Predator 2" but Paul WS Anderson still failed. You will routinely see "AvP" ranked below all 6 previous films in fan rankings. You're right, most fans hate the last two "Alien" films and "Predator 2", but most fans hate "AvP" ten times more. For the record, here's how I'd go:

#1: Aliens
#2: Alien
#3: Predator
#4: Alien3
#5: Predator 2
#6: Alien Resurrection
#7: Alien vs. Predator

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
You only have to watch AvP to know it was never going to be R rated. The Predators string up their kills fully clothed now, and characters tend to get dragged off-screen, rather than killed on the spot.

No amount of gore would fix the myriad problems AvP has, so why Anderson would even lie about it is beyond me. And to think, I used to defend him whenever people would whine about him. :b

Sebastien S

Second Unit

Personally, I LOVE Alien 3 and really like Predator 2. However, I absolutely can't stand and hate with a passion Alien Resurection... Not one single interesting character (that includes Ripley 2 and that farse of an alien) in that piece of turd!!!

They deffinetely droped the ball on AvP but I'll take it any day over Alien Resurection!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
"Resurrection" still benefits with a director with an interesting visual style and a talented cast. Take Lance Henriksen away from "AvP" and the cast is completely incompentent and substandard, and he wasn't given anything to do in the movie anyway. Whedon's screenplay is the film's main flaw but it's got it's moments and it's still serviceable. Even with the Newborn, the pre-"AvP" lowpoint of the franchise, it's still better than Anderson's pathetic script. Before "AvP", "Resurrection" was the red-headed stepchild of the series and many fans were already proclaiming "CAN'T BE WORSE THAN 'RESURRECTION'!" before they ever saw "AvP". I think it breaks down to this: they both fail as movies but one is a failure with merit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks