What's new

"Alien vs Predator" to get R rated director's cut DVD? (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure many of us knew that as soon at the PG-13 theatrical rating was made official, this was going to be the strategy.

I'm sure studios probably figure with certain releases to cut the movie so it gets a less restrictive rating for theaters. Then they can sell even more DVDs later on with the "R-Rated Version. Contains [insert adjective] extra footage not seen in theaters." banner.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Don't expect it before the first theatrical version arrives on DVD. And this is the same guy who said a new cut of Event Horizon was coming and that was YEARS ago!

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor
I could have swore I read a interview were the director said nothing was cut and the movie just happened to recieve a PG-13.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
so is the movie 92 minute long WITH credits or not?
The "offical" FOX claim is 101m, but a couple of reviewers with watches noted that the end credits roll starts after only 87 minutes...

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

"AvP" made more in it's first wekend than "Event Horizon" made in it's entire theatrical run. Also it's only been fairly recently that Paramount has shown a willingness to re-release DVDs as SE's.

Perhaps FOX will release both the theatrical & director's cut at the same time? Universal is doing that with "Dawn of the Dead."

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I am not sure where I read it, possibly www.bloody-disgusting.com - but I can not wait for the Director's Cut. My family and I may be the only people in the world who thought the movie was ok, and I know the director's cut will make a lot of people happy. I read that 30+ minutes were cut out, so it can only get better.

Ryan

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
In my never-humble opinion, Fox should follow the model they set up with the Alien Quadrilogy set and present both theatrical and director's cuts on the same disc via seamless branching.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm curious to see the directors cut as well, although my main problem with the movie was the setting and timeline, as opposed to missing gore.

It might give it a better pace though, which would help.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
The movie was completely ridiculous and had a wafer thin plot. I felt that the movie was rushed and lacking in any real peril. Yeah, the people died, but it had the emotional impact of stepping on ants each time a person died.

I think that by filling in the story more, adding more gore, this could actually have been a good movie. I'll probably hold off on a theatrical reelase DVD, but would consider an extended version.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Being a huge Alien fan I still havent seen this because of the rating and all the negative reviews. Plus its a small fortune to see a film in the theater and I dont want to waste my money.

I will check out the DVD though; especially a Directors cut.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I believe in the lastest IGN interview he did he stated they shoot whatever and it turned out to be PG-13. I think his stories about the rating of the film is so much better and entertaining than the film itself. Also, I don't really buy into whatever he says. As pointed out before, were is this Event Horizon DC? Resident Evil DC? And now this?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I didn't think the movie was so bad -- to a point that is. It did feel a little unfinished. I don't think the characters were introduced very well and the whole thing seemed kinda rushed. I did think the setting for the movie was kinda stupid, but once you look past that...

I figured a Directors Cut would be coming. Just hope he follows through this time.

The worst thing about the movie was the freaking AUDIENCE! This was the worst crowd I've ever had to endure. Three ten year olds playing musical chairs and talking aloud (but never long enough or often enough to warrant a "shut up!"), the guy way down front making SEVEN phone calls during the movie. I couldn't hear him but you couldn't missed the backlit LCD screen. etc. I debated the "sitting behind him kicking the seat" thing but decided not to. Good thing. He was HUGE!

Serves me right for seeing a big ticket PG-13 movie the first week and while school was still out.

If I had the time to watch movies at home and in peace I'd join the ranks who never go to the theatre.

-paul

Sorry for going off on a tangent there.

Steven Gebs

Stunt Coordinator
You guys are gonna think I'm crazy, but, I thought this movie was great!!!!

I may be in the minority but I actually enjoyed the concept of the pyramid buried under the ice. I really like the concept of the Predators coming to earth every 100 years, very cool stuff.

If there was alot of film cut out to get a PG-13 rating, I will be very excited for an R rated version. Having really enjoyed this movie, getting additional footage involving gore would rock! I really hope that there might be an additional fight scene or two thrown back in! I really dug the confrontation between the Predators and the Aliens.

My only minor gripe with the movie (and it is very minor). I wish the battle with the Queen at the very end was a bit longer. The acting could have been better, but, that really was to be expected.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I think the main actress should have applied for a role in I. Robot, cause her lines were so robotic sounding!!!

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
quote:BBFC lists the runtime as 100m 39s and they are accurate when it comes to this stuff.

There's no way this movie was 100minutes. the 87 number sounds about right. It felt really short. I thought the movie was OK, not the failure I was expecting, but definitely a missed opportunity.

I also must say that I am not a fan of the recent PG-13 theatrical rating followed by R/NR director cuts on DVD....

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Could be that Fox submitted the longer cut in the UK, figuring they could get away with a 15 rating instead of an 18 (which they did). In other words the UK might be getting the director's cut theatrically instead of having to wait for the DVD release. That's just a guess though.

Steven Gebs

Stunt Coordinator
when does it come out in the UK?

I'd be interested in what was cut.

Don't we usually here about any DVD news about a month after the movie is theatrically released?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks