What's new

Alien vs. Predator 2 in the works (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Exactly Chuck. It's quite amusing some of the criticisms of this film passed off as though they were facts.:laugh:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Insert "lump of coal" joke here.

This one could go either way. The directors are promising but the screenwriter, script and concept are worrisome.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
As long as it's as entertaining as the first one, I'll be happy. I wish PT Anderson was returning as director as I think he did a fine job on the first.:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Why? I can understand it not being some people's cup of tea. I can understand people not liking the director and therefore avoiding it like the plague. But what exactly were all these supposedly incredibly pissed off "young people" (lets face it no one over the age of 30 would give this title more than a passing thought, would they?) expecting from a film called Alien vs Predator ? Why is this title any different from say, Freddy vs Jason?

The last genuinely great Alien film was made 20 years ago, others might say 27 years ago. I was never expecting much from a film called Alien vs Predator, it's baffling and, sorry, hysterically funny that there may be kids out there still having sleepless nights because this wasn't the movie they were expecting. Hard to believe. I liked the movie, a reasonably good time passer , but it doesn't occupy my every waking thought as it evidently does some.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Why? I can understand it not being some people's cup of tea. I can understand people not liking the director and therefore avoiding it like the plague. But what exactly were all these supposedly incredibly pissed off "young people" (lets face it no one over the age of 30 would give this title more than a passing thought, would they?) expecting from a film called Alien vs Predator ?

Because this is a movie that people waited for for over a decade yet their expectations weren't even that high (pretty much everyone just wanted an "Aliens" rehash with Predators thrown into the mix, plus there are tons of comics and novels that were well-received by fans that were completely ignored) and it still managed to disappoint them.

Go to any "AvP" related forum and you'll see an overwhelmingly-negative consensus on the quality of the previous film. Hell, look at these quotes from this very thread:

Quote:

I am as surprised as you are. I'm expecting it to be total crap, then I might be able to enjoy it this time.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/c...entryid=285685

Aiming for an August 2007 release.

I guess hitting rock bottom for both franchises wasn't enough. Now they have to dig.

Quote:

Yes. Now I can spread the hate across two movies!

Quote:

That serious "Overhate" is well earned.

Quote:

No such thing as overhate for a movie like AvP.

Quote:

It's easy to understand the hate. A hack director took a potential franchise goldmine and made a mindless, non-entertaining Bay-esque action flick without a single redeeming quality. Worse, he made up his own story instead of simply adapting one of the several good stories already out there.

Quote:

I usually hate sequels that totally ignore the previous entry, but I'd be all for it in this case.

Quote:

Maybe this time they'll make it a PG film!

Quote:

I thought there was a great redeeming feature of this film that ameliorates some of the "overhate."

And that is that most of the humans die off very quickly, which eliminated dialog for basically the rest of the film. In my opinion, this was an excellent choice for this film.

Quote:

Paul WS Anderson is movie cancer. Everything he touches immediately turns rotten. All of his films are crap. From Mortal Kombat to Alien vs Predator. Soldier sucked. Event Horizon sucked. All the Resident Evil films sucked. He is why Alien vs Predator is unwatchable.

Quote:

Haha, I agree with Aaron. Anderson, Boll, Sommers, and Bay shouldn't even be directing traffic on a one-way street. I'm sure they'd even manage to screw up that.

Quote:

Oh... I'm so excited!

AvP 2: This time..we try to fuck it up less!

Can't believe they're gonna do this... yeesh!

Quote:

AvP was a disappointment and I hope the sequel is much better (and that Anderson is nowhere near it if he wants to put out another AVP film).

Quote:

i'd be all over a sequel if it was a sequel in name only, and they started again and made a movie that was a faithful translation into film of the original aliens vs. predator comic.

it'll never happen, but i'm just sayin'.

Quote:

Does that mean it should just be thrown together and done shabily? Does that mean they shouldnt try to make a better movie than the last one?
There's lots of room for improvement here.

Quote:

In fact, until AVP came along, there wasn't a film in either series that I disliked. I wouldn't hesitate to say it's one of the worst films I've ever seen, and it disappoints me to no end that they opted to do this nonsense over a possible Alien 5.

I'm definitely not excited for a sequel, but the only place the quality can go from here is up.

Quote:

And some people just don't understand.

It's very obvious where the well-deserved hatred is coming from. This was THE Holy Grail of 'versus' movies and Paul W(ithout) S(kill) Anderson really just ruined it. People were beyond disappointed; they were and are justifiably angry. You can tell them to get a life if you want to, but some people are passionate about movies. I am. I so wanted a good Alien and Predator movie. AvP was not anywhere close.

I mean with all of the material out there, why did he choose to write his own? His script is nothing more than one endless string of cliches and uninspired, boring action sequences. There was plenty of good material out there to go with.

And don't you think this movie should have been above being "average" and "mildly entertaining"? Alien 1 and 2 and Predator were certainly better than that.

I don't know much about AvP 2, but hopefully they'll avoid using anyone from the first one -- especially Anderson -- and get a whole new creative force. Why Fox went with someone like Anderson in the first place is baffling. The guy has a terrible resume and shows he can't adapt material for s***.

Let's simply adapt one of the existing stories or commission a true writer; preferably one who has worked on an Alien and/or Predator title.

They should also avoid calling it AvP 2, although I doubt the marketing guys can resist whipping up something 'clever' for the acronym. They should just use a subtitle instead of a numeral to seperate it as best as can from the first one, as if the first one doesn't even exist.

I like how Tom Rothman automatically assumes the second one will "kick ass" although not only hasn't he read the script, he seemed unsure of it's status. Between this and the X3 fiasco, looks like they have some real geniuses at Fox.

Well, I think that's my definitive post.

and not one of those quotes is mine.

Quote:

Why is this title any different from say, Freddy vs Jason?

Well, "Freddy vs. Jason" was true to the spirit of both films and on a technical level that at the very least lived up to it's predecessors and in some cases exceeded it.

"Freddy vs. Jason" was a cheesy, fun crossover followup to two cheesy, fun series but "AvP" did no justice to it's predecessors.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
People are pretty die-hard about he Alien and Predator franchises, while other people may only have a passing interest. It's like that for any film. Take POTC, for example. I was never a die-hard fan of the first, so I enjoyed the second one; however, a lot of people I know who liked the original film a lot more than myself, felt disappointed. It's all about expectations. As a fan of the Alien and Predator franchises, I wanted something that could do justice to both series, and in my opinion, AVP failed big time.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

While I know you're exaggerating things here, I don't see how anyone can find anyone's disappointment with any movie "baffling." As I said in my previous post, people have different expectations for movies, just as they have different opinions about them. Why shouldn't some people (myself included) expect a really good movie, no matter the premise? I mean, think about the premise of say, Alien, or Aliens. Based on the premise alone of those films, it's possible that one should expect nothing more than straight up, b-movie action flicks. But they weren't. So why should we hold AVP to such low standards?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Good point, Brett. The original two franchises are in a different league than AvP and they shouldn't be. AvP could have been taken more seriously as a project, IMO.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I personally don't find anyones disappointment baffling. What I do find baffling are some of the inexplicable comments and obsessive hatred leveled at this film and it's director. Beyond disappointment. Obsessive! Not just in this thread, but others.

Some of the comments leveled against the director were ridiculous such as he is "obviously a studio puppet and he sucks and gets to bang supermodels" or something to that effect. I don't remember who said it but I remember how silly it sounded. They sounded jealous. Seriously. How messed up is that?:confused:

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Oh I agree, the hatred level can be a bit unhealthy. The same kind of thing was being argued over in the Star Wars DVD thread. I understand disappointment in a movie, and hating it even, but it should be kept within reason. I think the problem comes when some people are able to express their criticisms well, while others can't. And unfortunately, everyone ends up falling into the rabid fanboy category. Same thing happened over on that Star Wars thread.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Baffling in regards to this particular film, yes, let's face it this wasn't loosely based on great literature, a series of comic books for chrissakes. As for being constantly baffled by people weeping over this and that, believe me on the internet it's easy, in the real world, my world, my circle of friends, workmates, relatives what have you, there's mercifully no such thing as whinging and moaning over Star Wars, or Lucas, or being deeply disappointed with PJ's fabulous Lord of the Rings trilogy because it messed around a bit with the novel(s), that to me is beyond mere baffling and verges on the downright ludicrous.

Back to Alien vs Predator, people wanted to see Aliens aka Xenomorphs battle it out with Predators, that was the concepts raison d'être, what the fans wanted to see, in that respect it delivered didn't it?

One major thing that I don't like about P.Anderson the director is all his films must finish around the 90min mark, why? If Cameron can deliver a two hour plus Alien movie, why should one featuring Aliens & Predators be just over an hour long? I want to get my moneys worth, a full evenings entertainment, not walk back to the car and find the engine still warm. Maybe I've been spoilt by all these bloated lengthy films we've been getting lately, King Kong, LOTR, Munich, POTC even Superman Returns is 154mins long! :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yes, but you bring up a good point. It's based (pretty much in name only) on a series of comic books that were pretty damn popular and well received, while the film was not. A film delivering what's promised in the title does not mean we should be happy with it. In that case, everyone would love the Star Wars prequels, for example. The title said Star Wars, and that's what people got; however, not everyone liked them. Films are well received by people when they are well executed and conceived, something I felt AVP failed in doing. There are better reasons to get Aliens and Predators to fight, and just because they do fight in the movie doesn't mean I have to like it. And once again, when a certain fanbase is more passionate about something than you are (like in this case), you can expect a disconnect in expectations. It's no big deal, really.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's generally always a horror/sci-fi release on Christmas. Why not this one?

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Other than "Scream", I can't think of another horror genre movie that was successful with a Christmas opening.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Maybe it's because his 90 minute movies seem like they last three hours. Wanna see something obscene? Go check out how long the end credits on "AvP" are. It will blow your mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks