What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Speaking of the 4.1 track and the 5.1 track. What are they?
Why should I choose one over the other?
The 4.1 more closely approximates how it was heard during its original theatrical run. The 5.1 is the same as the film has had for the past few Blu-Ray releases. There’s not too terribly much between them, but I might give a slight edge to the 4.1 simply because it’s closer to that original experience.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Hmmm, thanks Neil, that’s unfortunate the Blu Ray mastering wasn’t improved on. I have a 4K player so I could play the disc and see it down-rezzed.
The older disc was also mastered from a 4k transfer (albeit a different one) approved by Ridley Scott. I don't think a downscale from this new transfer would improve on it that much.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Hey, great review! In reading the Production section of the review, I was reminded of my first time seeing this film in the theater. I was feeling a constant sense of dread and just bracing for the next shock.

For sure so much of the films designs were new and unexpected. The Nostromo was not a sleek ship but a Kenworth for space. And the space suits were also a non expected type of design compared to suits used in Star Trek The Motion Picture seen the same year.

I’ve not upgraded to a 4K display yet. I’m curious if the Blu Ray included in the set is an improvement over the Quadrilogy Blu Ray? Though I’ll pick this up for sure as I’m sure I’ll be 4K capable soon.

Last edited:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
You've not experienced Alien until you've experienced it in glorious full-frame :)

Alien is the movie that showed me what Widescreen was. At the time I was dimly aware of what the Widescreen thing was supposed to be, something about seeing the whole picture. I knew every frame of the fill frame version from multiple VHS rentals and television recordings. Then one time the Sci-Fi channel broadcast it in Widescreen and it was nothing short of a revelation. And I’ve been an OAR devotee ever since.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The 4.1 more closely approximates how it was heard during its original theatrical run. The 5.1 is the same as the film has had for the past few Blu-Ray releases. There’s not too terribly much between them, but I might give a slight edge to the 4.1 simply because it’s closer to that original experience.

Ok that makes sense.
From what my receiver tells me the 5.1 has split surrounds and the 4.1 does not.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watching this right now on our new 65" tv and at times the clarity is almost unnerving. It also has a sense of depth and dimension greater than the blu-ray, I think.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks