What's new

Alien trilogy coming to blu-ray?!... (1 Viewer)

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Geoff_D

Just read in this month's Empire that a new sound mix for Alien³ extended edition has finally been done! Charlie, I don't know what you had to do (and I'm not sure I wanna know!) to make that a reality, but you've made my day.

I came in here to post this! this set is going to blow me away!

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Yeah! I was just coming to post this too... just read the news on Blu-ray.com!

"Additionally, according to the print edition of the UK movie magazine Empire, this release is being produced by Charles De Lauzirika, who is behind the BD releases of most of the movies directed by Sir Ridley Scott, including the monumental five-disc Blade Runner. De Lauzirika said that, while the Quadrilogy DVD was already very comprehensive, this Anthology Blu-ray set will blow it out of the water, with new extras and commentaries. Also, a new sound mix has been done for the extended edition of Alien 3, which involved bringing back some of the cast to reloop their dialogue."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4339

This is absoloutely awesome news. Anything that adds to the Alien3 stuff gets the thumbs up! We bow down to you Charlie! Don't forget some of that extra workprint footage that wasn't included first time round... ;)

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
I was just thinking... if Blade Runner had 5 cuts for one film, I wonder if we could get some additional cuts for the Alien films? As well as the previously released Director's and Special Edition cuts, I'm thinking the original uncut workprints for each film. Alien was originally around 3 hours, Aliens would have the Burke cocoon scene and extra dialogue, Alien3 has quite a bit of interesting deleted material not seen on the Quadrilogy (my biggest hope to see on Blu ray), and Alien Resurrection has... well I have no idea, but it would be cool to see what could have been for each of them :) You could also do another version of Alien3 that expands on the theatrical version, keeping the dog burster and and Ripley-burster scenario.

You can read what Fincher's prefered cut at the time would have been here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/108393/alien-quadrilogy-discussion-thread-including-all-the-glitches/1110#post_1652214

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I don't understand something. Why did Fincher in that article describe perfectly what he wanted to do for his cut, when, around the time the Quadrilogy arrived, he made it clear that he didn't want anything to do with it? I just hope Fox will do what Warner did with Richard Donner's cut of Superman II. It might not be his perfect vision, but at least as close as we'll possibly get without re-shooting the entire movie. The new soundtrack is a step in the right direction.

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Here's the full text from Empire magazine...

Despsite rumours that we'd have to wait until the theatrical release of the Alien prequel to get all its predecessors on Blu-ray, it now seems the wait will be much shorter, with a box set release slated for late 2010. And, having had a sneak peek, we can confirm that very good things are in store. Along with a cryo-bay's worth of previously unseen extras (including, according to Sigourney Weaver, new commentaries), the package - which will drop the clunky term 'Quadrilogy' used for the DVD box set and term itself The Alien Anthology has been facehuggingly good picture and sound quality. Charles de Lauririka, one of the high-def-nicians working on the set, can't contain his excitement: "We've done a whole new sound mix for Alien3, bringing back some of the actors to reloop their dialogue. Aliens has never looked better. And the extras are endless. As someone who looked at the Quadrilogy as pretty comprehensive, this frankly blows it out of the water. We're slackjawed at how over-the-top, in a good way, this set is. The word I keep using is 'geekgasm'!"

The Alien Anthology Blu-ray box set is out in late 2010.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I just saw the trailer for Alien Anthology about 3 times. It's on the beginning of the Minority Report Blu-Ray. Every shot is reframed to 1.77 so it's not representative of what the final PQ will be like, but the trailer is impressive.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by dvdvision
Every shot is reframed to 1.77 so it's not representative of what the final PQ will be like...
Except maybe in case of the Aliens clips. But then again as it has been said many times before, that film's transfer deficiencies are more or less the result of the film stock, lighting, and cameras Cameron was using in '85.

Jim C

Second Unit
Not sure if this is the real deal, but box art for the standard and premium editions of Alien Anthology Blu-Ray have been posted here:

http://dahf.dk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32261&start=15

The Premium edition sure looks smart (if it's the real thing).

Looks like there will be 6 BDs in the set and it will be available 4th Quarter 2010.

JC

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
Full comfirmation

Event titles for Blu-ray release

The major catalog titles scheduled to street during the third and fourth quarters of the year are:
  • Alien Anthology: all four Alien films digitally restored and available together in a six-disc set packed with extras

wmmvrrvrrmm

Auditioning
Real Name
Dominic
I wonder if Dennis Lowe's "Alien Makers" documentaries available to watch online will be featured in the Blu-ray set. They certainly helped to give further impressions about what life was like working in the studios for the movie . http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/

Dominic

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
According to this German DVD/Blu-ray site, these are the new extras for the Anthology blu-ray set: http://www.dvduell.de/artikel/erste-details-zum-neuen-bonusmaterial-der-alien-anthology-blu-ray-box/

Alien

•Shock & Awe: The Return of Alien with Danny Boyle [25:01 Min.]

Aliens - 76:53 Min.

•“Aliens” POD Credits [0:25 Min.]
•Becoming Vasquez [1:07 Min.]
•Building Hadley’s Hope [3:28 Min.]
•Cameron’s Cutting Edge [1:32 Min.]
•Cameron’s Design Philosophy [2:15 Min.]
•Cameron’s Military Interests [1:26 Min.]
•Dailies: James Remar as Hicks [3:46 Min.]
•Fighting the Facehugger [1:17 Min.]
•Finding an Unused Power Plant [2:08 Min.]
•From Producer to Stunt Double [2:03 Min.]
•More Tales from Tea Time [6:44 Min.]
•On Set: Infiltrating the Colony [3:14 Min.]
•Origins of Ascheron [2:05 Min.]
•Paul Reiser on Carter Burke [1:01 Min.]
•Praising Stan Winston [1:40 Min.]
•Props: Personal Light Unit [0:36 Min.]
•Re-Enlisting with Cameron [1:23 Min.]
•Ripley’s Heartbreak [3:49 Min.]
•Sigourney Weaver’s Triumph [1:38 Min.]
•Simon Atherton talks Weapons [2:00 Min.]
•Stan Winston’s Challenge [1:46 Min.]
•Stan Winston’s Legacy [2:35 Min.]
•Test Footage: Chestburster [1:19 Min.]
•Test Footage: Facehugger [7:27 Min.]
•Test Footage: Queen Alien [4:47 Min.]
•The First Casting of Hicks [4:44 Min.]
•The Importance of Being Bishop [1:27 Min.]
•The Paxton/Cameron Connection [2:17 Min.]
•Without Sigourney Weaver [1:29 Min.]
•Working with Sigourney Weaver [5:25 Min.]

Alien 3 - 72:58 Min.

•“Alien 3″ POD Credits [0:25 Min.]
•Bald Cap Blues [2:40 Min.]
•Bragging Rights [1:01 Min.]
•Costuming the Character [1:37 Min.]
•Creating Alien Sounds from the Scratch [2:23 Min.]
•Dangerous Location Recording [1:47 Min.]
•Detailing the EEV Miniature [1:27 Min.]
•Explaining the Wooden Plant [2:44 Min.]
•Ezra Swerdlow’s Concerns [1:08 Min.]
•Fincher’s Alienation [3:40 Min.]
•Head Casting with Charles Dutton [2:51 Min.]
•Hick’s Alternate Future [1:54 Min.]
•How to make Alien Acid Saliva [1:10 Min.]
•Intimidating Baldies [1:58 Min.]
•Lance Henriksen returns in Style [1:19 Min.]
•Matte Painting Memories [8:01 Min.]
•Mixed Reactions [3:50 Min.]
•On Set: Filming the Alien’s POV [2:24 Min.]
•On Set: Filming the Oxburster [3:10 Min.]
•Painful Low End Frequencies [0:45 Min.]
•Renny Harlin quits [1:51 Min.]
•Ripley’s Evolution [2:12 Min.]
•Roaming the Fury 161 Set [3:59 Min.]
•Sausage-motivated Alien Whippet [2:01 Min.]
•Stealing Sigourney’s Top [0:55 Min.]
•Sucking up to Fincher [6:30 Min.]
•The Art of Storyboarding [2:32 Min.]
•The Power of Silence [3:13 Min.]
•The Sulaco’s Cameo [1:05 Min.]
•The Weaver Wagger [2:26 Min.]

Alien Resurrection- 74:23 Min.

•Abandoning the Bug Opening [4:08 Min.]
•Alien Resurrection POD Credits [0:25 Min.]
•Animating Underwater Aliens [3:12 Min.]
•Becoming a Film Composer [1:34 Min.]
•Breaking the Language Barrier [4:39 Min.]
•Considering Giger’s Legacy [3:03 Min.]
•Costuming the Betty Crew [1:23 Min.]
•Creating Ripley’s New Look [3:18 Min.]
•Designing the Newborn [1:35 Min.]
•Downsizing the Design [1:58 Min.]
•Dueling Design Sensibilities [1:54 Min.]
•Ending after Ending after Ending [5:26 Min.]
•Future Franchise Directions [6:33 Min.]
•Intentially Uncomfortable Costumes [1:47 Min.]
•Newborn Dick Removal [1:43 Min.]
•Preparing for Action [2:49 Min.]
•Remembering the Premiere [1:57 Min.]
•Surviving the Shoot [4:13 Min.]
•Swimming with Aliens [2:25 Min.]
•The Art of Slime [2:30 Min.]
•The Burden of Temp Music [1:55 Min.]
•The Cloning Process [4:44 Min.]
•The Evolution of the Alien [4:10 Min.]
•The Storyboard Bible [1:20 Min.]
•VFX: Knifing Ripley’s Hand [2:11 Min.]
•VFX: Shooting Miniatures [1:21 Min.]
•Winona Ryder answers the Call [2:10 Min.]

It strikes me as being pretty early for these details to get out? Maybe Charles can shed some light?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Wow...so ALL those are new BD features? Holy crap.

Between those, and the new Alien 3 cast-looping, any chance we might also be getting Charlie's uncut Quadrilogy documentary for that movie this time? (Hey, fingers crossed, right?)

Daz_85

Agent
Real Name
Darren
Yeah I was thinking I hope the uncut Alien3 documentary comes out this time. But what about those additional Alien3 deleted scenes? I know I keep pestering, but I think they are worthwhile for inclusion. If it were me, I'd add them back to the extended assembley cut of the film And does Cameron still not want us to see the Carter Burke cocoon scene for Aliens? Deleted scenes would be the big interest for me and a lot of fans I'd imagine.

If those are the new features, they sound incredible. I understand not having many new features for Alien, because The Beast Within (and the additional supplements) were incredibly thorough (not to mention the best part of the set, IMO). This set is going to be EPIC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks