What's new

ALIEN: The best Sci-Fi movie ever made? (1 Viewer)

Eric Bass

Second Unit
I give best Sci-Fi horror to John Carpenter's The Thing. Speaking of which, I see there's a computer game of it coming out this fall.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I have a quick question regarding Aliens special edition. I asked it before, but never got any answers:

It seems to me that beside the extra footage, the chronology of the movie was changed: In the Special edition, they find Newt bofore their first encounter with the Aliens. Now this is where my memory might be failing me, but I would swear that in the original edition, the first fight ("They are cut off!...", "Do something godammit!!...", "I told them to fall back...") took place without Newt (edited out). They find her when they decide to go back in there or something... and the first action scene with her is in the lab, with the face hugger. Am I totally off track here? Does anyone still have the VHS tape? This has been drving me nuts for a while now...

--

Holadem

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Now this is where my memory might be failing me, but I would swear that in the original edition, the first fight ("They are cut off!...", "Do something godammit!!...", "I told them to fall back...") took place without Newt (edited out).
No, they found Newt before that. I still have it on VHS because I wanted to keep the theatrical version.

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
...the third film in this series is not Alien 3, but Alien to the Third Power or Alien Cubed...
Someone have been diagnosed with "The Simpsons Cartoon Store Owner"-syndrome ;)
In regard to the original discussion, I think Alien ranks up there with some of the best sci-fi thrillers of all time. A quite remarkable film indeed. The story and the script is intriguing and the acting is very well done I think. Did it break new ground with respect to visual and special effects technology? Not really, IMO. It's all been done before but that doesn't degrade the quality of Alien --- quite the opposite. Scott has an incredible eye for detail and he used existing technology in a very succesfull and convincing way. Perhaps this is what makes Alien so special. All the elements in Alien have been used in films before, but Scott perfected the use of them.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Personal preference is Aliens, but I do like both, as they are such different movies, it is really a personal preference thing. I think Scott's commentary is one of the best, for those that pointed out where he "borrowed" stuff (such as Kubrik), he talked about all that in fairly good detail.

Scott W.

Second Unit
Alien is a fave of mine. But Aliens is even better. Ridley Scott really created something special in Alien, and Cameron made a great sequel.

Scott

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Juts to mix things up, I'll vote for Blade Runner as the best sci-fi film ever mdae. :D With Pitch Black a close second. (only kidding :) )

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
And let me add that I think Blade Runner is vastly overrated and one of the dullest "Sci-Fi" films I have ever seen.
Alien on the other hand is one of the best Sci-fi/Horror/whatever films ever made and one of the least "dated" films compared to others.
How's dat?:D

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
Well, I always liked Close Encounters , but I know it's probably not the best. Also, I think Aliens needs to be discounted some due to Bill Paxton's involvement.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
But Bill Paxton ALWAYS makes a film better!

As for the current debate, its interesting the way the first film has so much sexual imagery, very much based around ideas of violation, while the sequel is much more concerned with the issue of motherhood and protection. Certainly an unusual contrast there.

Scott W.

Second Unit
Steve Ch. I got ahead of myself when I appeared to say that Scott directed Aliens. I know Cameron direted Aliens. Hehehe, whops! Just a mental erroe.

Scott

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Without thinking about it I would put them in this order. The Matrix,Aliens. T1 & 2 and Predator.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I also would like to put in my 2 cents about Pich Black. I bought the movie before I ever saw it and I am glad that I did. I really like that movie too. Vin was awesome in it and the planet and scenes in the movie were just really eerie and creepy. Loved it!

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
"Aliens" would be #1 on my list -- a superior sequel IMO. It's amazingly well-crafted, with everything falling into place (it seems like in real time) as you're on the edge of your seat that final 1/2 hour. The rest of the movie is pure sci-fi & human drama done well.
Other sci-fi greats: "2001: A Space Odyssey", "Alien", "The Empire Strikes Back", & "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks