What's new

Alien Series -- When to buy? (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I was thinking about purchasing the whole Alien/Aliens/Alien 3/Alien Resurrection box set. Are these worth getting? Are there better editions that are not in the box set? Are there new versions coming out?

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I can only recommend this set... Each DVD gives a superb presentation of the movies, and there are good extras for the first two...

I think an "Alien: 5 star collection" is scheduled for later this year, but I'm quite satisfied with the current set.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
I just bought mine recently...it was too cheap to ignore.
Here in Canada, I heard that Walmart was recently selling the boxset for CDN$65 (~US$41) plus taxes. I bought mine (CDN$72) plus another cheap DVD from a Canadian online dealer, http://www.hmv.com with a CDN$15 off CDN$80 coupon for the month of January. Bottom line for the Legacy set was ~CDN$72 (US$45). :D
Dave

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
When the existing box set came out nearly 2 years ago, DVD player sales jumped because of this set.

These disks should be the defacto-standard for all DVD's. Wonderful commentary, behind the scenes, 10 deleted scenes for Alien, and it really shows how DVD can take a 20 year old movie and make it shine.

There are less and less extras as you move through the disks, but I strongly recommend the set. You are missing out if you liked the movies. (Can you tell this is one of my favorites?)

JonathanSimpson

Stunt Coordinator
adam that truly is unfortunate as the alien legacy r1 that is currently available does not include the fifth disc including the documentary this was only available for a limited time through a mail in offer whereas r1/r4 have the alien legacy fifth disc included in the box set. there are alot of rumours that the upcoming alien 5 star collection (not 100% confirmed but a lot of talk on the many wonderful dvd forums out there ) will include the the documentary i for one would love fox to include the mark kermode documentary that he produced for channel 4 in uk (broadcast about a year ago? i think about then) and i do have hope as kermode is known for his awesome documentaries on (the exorcist, the upcoming blade runner disc) which have been warner brothers titles, but also the poughkeepsie shuffle on the french connection 5 star collection which is a fox title, so i think there may be hope. so i guess the moral of the story is if you want the most complete version of the alien legacy boxset you have to go with another zone unless you are prepared to pay the (crazy prices some of the jokers are selling the r1 version for on e-bay). so it is up to you adam as who is to say what will truly happen in the future regarding theses titles? peter staddon?

jonathan

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'd like to get them and I will eventually. Screw that 5th disc. I'll survive without it. AS for enrollment to Columbia House, I'm already a member.

Maybe when I get some spare cash.

Guy_K

Second Unit
I'm conflicted about getting this one because of the 5 star edition coming out, and the additional film in the alien series going into production.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
you mean Aliens vs. predator?

There's no use waiting because we would then have to wait for an Alien/Aliens/Alien3/Alien Resurrection/Predator/Predator2/Aliens vs. predator Box...

Phew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks