What's new

ALIEN QUADRILOGY discussion thread (including all the glitches) (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There's an amusing commentary about the size of the Quadrilogy fold out on Video Business Check it out if you are registered on the site. It's free to register for those who don't have access

Ivan Sena

Second Unit
I know it was posted here before, but what stores are carrying the Alien Queen Box set with the cocooned terraformer?

Thanks, and also thanks for the links above.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
5.5 feet long? Well, I just decided that I'm going to open that package in the lobby of my dorm so I have plenty of room. I found that article amuzing, thanks WillG

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I've now had a chance to watch all the supplements on all the films and they are exhaustive and exhausting, but really informative and interesting. I'm gonna start plowing through the films now.

The packaging is a bit unwieldy but nice although the glue on one of the plastic things that holds the disc came loose on one of the panels.

I can't imagine that people won't be thrilled with the set, but then someone, I'm sure, will find things to complain about.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Thanks goes out to Bill @ the Bits for the disc 6 review.
I agree it's too bad they pulled the critical Fincher stuff, but I'm very aware of the history. I'm betting I'll be pleased with what's there.
Even in this set we're being denied some of the gritty details. Typical FOX political BS.

Thanks Bill
E

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
It was perhaps disc 6 that I was most interested in seeing, and yet knowing what was cut out has sort of already ruined this for me. I wish Fox would've reconsidered their decision to edit it in this manner.

I commend the bits for its honest look at this set, and at that particular disc especially.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
It does sort of make sense from Fox's end tho. Only sort of. But when Bill explained it as "We were afraid FINCHER would get mad at his portrayal and come after us after already screwing him over on the original film" then that had the ring of truth to it. I don't know WHY they cut it, but that reason sounds the most true to me, taking into account most major corporations fear of high-profile lawsuits. The last thing Fox wants is for a talented director to completely write their studio off. They're lucky he made Fight Club there, yunno? I can see them hedging their bets and trying to take any negative Fincher shots out of the doc to protect themselves that way.

Although the idea that Fox couldn't stand releasing a DVD where the director refers to the studio heads as 'They're all fucking idiots' might have had something to do with it, too. Then again, the people in charge then are NOT the people in charge now.

I dunno. I like that Bill seemed to get pro-active in his review and sort of in-between-the-lines call for people to contact Fox and ask them to re-insert the footage. I would hope something like that would pop off, I just don't know if they'd actually do it.

John Swarce

Second Unit
I know it was posted here before, but what stores are carrying the Alien Queen Box set with the cocooned terraformer?
Ivan:

I picked up the Alien Queen figure(plus the Dog Alien and Warrior Alien) at Electronics Boutique. I have also seen it at KB Toys and Game Stop.

Happy hunting!

John

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
After reading the disc six review, I think I'm gonna pass on the set, which I was incredibly hyped for up until now. I just feel like still buying it would be the equivalent of pardoning Fox for a pointless political maneuver that only serves to let down the fans and, in a roundabout way, Fincher himself.

I've already got Alien from the original release, and the Aliens Director's Cut, which is my preferred cut of the film. The only things that interested me in this set were the new cuts of Alien 3 and Resurrection, and the once heralded, now butchered Alien 3 doc. I've got at least one friend I know who will likely buy this set, so I'll just borrow from him when I want to see the new cuts of Alien 3 and Resurrection, or Netflix them.

If Fox would

A) Give a reason as to why this was done

or, preferably

B) Release the unaltered doc, I would gladly snap the entire box up.

Is Peter Staddon still lurking around here? I'd like some insight into this. If not, is there any person who can be contacted to find out if a reissue is possible?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but there's a review up for the set at DVD Authority .

Not much mention of each film's alternate versions...

I think TDB's and DVDFile's reviews are a whole lot more extensive (and informative), but hey...it's a new one to read. ;)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I will check out the review at DVDauthority. I've got to tell you they've had some interesting ones over there. An review of Sex and the City season 4, contain the episode synopsis for the episodes from season 5, oops.

The bits review of Alien and DVDFile's review are the best so far. I'm also interested in what IGN has to say.

Jo_C

Second Unit
Just read the news on the altered version of the Alien3 documentary. It is too bad. If one supplement gets tainted, that means in my book the ENTIRE box set quadrilogy is tainted. I am another person who won't be buying the set.

Too bad Fox had to screw it up for all of us. And I feel pity for Charlie on this one. You can bet there will be legalities with this one.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Although I too am disappointed with the "cover-up" on Fincher and the documentary, I'll still get this. Too much good stuff otherwise not to.

As for the call to Mr Staddon for any clues as to why, I have no doubt Mr Staddon will remain discreetly silent on this topic -- no doubt, as others have pointed out, the edits were made on advice of lawyers, and even explaining why is probably a legal minefield. It would have taken a lot of effort, horse-trading, concessions, disclaimers, waivers etc to be able to release the documentary in full, and clearly these were not going to be forthcoming.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just got done reading Mr. Hunt's latest chapter in his Quadrilogy review. (What a great and epic review this is turning out to be!)

Consider me among the very disappointed to hear about the edits Fox has made to the Alien 3 documentary. That Charlie D. had his name removed from the Alien 3 doco credits (and replaced with "Fred Garvin" :laugh: ) says a whole lot to me. I understand that the studio wants to protect various interests (both their own and those of other filmmakers) but excising large chunks from what sure seems to be a "dead honest" doco seems more than a little, well, lame.

But I really appreciate the fact that The Digital Bits and Mr. Hunt had access to the original doco, and were able to let us know about some of the stuff we're going to miss. Heck, Fox is my #1 favorite movie studio and always has been (any studio willing to bankroll dicey projects like Ravenous and Moulin Rouge and (Fincher's own!) Fight Club will always earn my respect)...but this last-minute chop-job really does bug me. I'm sure that what remains of the Alien 3 supplements are more than impressive, but now I'll still have that annoying feeling that I'm missing some truly fascinating material.

As yet, I'm still undecided between the full Quadro or the upcoming 2-discers of Alien and Aliens...but this latest news certainly isn't a step in the right direction.

Thanks again to Bill Hunt for his altogether fascinating dissection of this massive box set.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I want to state that I know next to nothing about putting together a DVD and its materials. I know even less about legalities, only that it can be a mess, but here is my question.

If this is such a problem, why did they wait until the documentary was assembled before they put the hack job to it? Surely the doc was being approved before it was put together, why couldn't legal have said before the process started that it would be best not to use this footage to avoid a law suit. Sure, I'll even say that I don't know for sure that it didn't happen that way but I have my doubts that they were told not to use something, used it anyway and had it yanked out from under them.

I'm going to go with what Robert said above as my most likely suggestion for what happened. I just think Fox didn't like being referred to as "F***ing idiots." I don't blame them, but I would think that they could've made the fact that they didn't want to be referred to in that manner well before the final documentary was approved.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
I am very, very, very let down by Fox on this one. To be honest I wish I had never known about the original cut of the docu because this latest news is really depressing.

Much earlier in the thread it was mentioned that the docu got cut down, but I never expected it to have been cut down by a jaw dropping 30 minutes!

I’ve spent the past 5-6 years watching ropey Alien 3 bootlegs wondering what could have been, just when I thought that I was finally gonna learn it all, Fox does something like this. Now I get to watch the docu for years to come and thing “what could have been”
This sucks, big time.

Fox - if you are reading, I would actually be stupid enough to double dip and buy a 2 disk set of Alien 3 if the docu was uncut. So there’s your incentive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks