Alien Legacy Confusion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad E, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Chad E

Chad E Stunt Coordinator

Was visiting another city this weekend, and came across the Alien Legacy 4-Disc Set for CA$79.99 (~US$51) Since I had previously read here at HTF (as recently as Sept 9) that it was highly unlikely that the set would be re-released in region 1 with the 5th disc included, I decided I couldn't pass up such a great offer, and I bought the set!
    However, after coming home, I checked various websites. The Fox site indicates the set is scheduled for release on Oct 16/01. (I had figured one of the reasons for the low price was a possible re-release.) However, the set looked exactly the same as the original set from Jun 1/99.
    Some sites seem to list the Oct 16/01 set available for pre-order, but many still list the 1999 version. However, FutureShop.ca lists the 2001 version, and mentions "Free Documentary offer: The Alien Legacy", but I don't know if they are just using copy from the 1999 version.
    So, I guess my questions are:
    1. What is different about the Oct 16 re-release?
    2. Will the re-release have an updated mail-in offer for the "Alien Legacy" 5th disc?
    I haven't opened the set yet, so if it turns out by waiting for the new version I can get the 5th disc, then I'll take the current one back!
    Thanks for any info!
    Chad

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

They're probably just recycling their listing from the original release. It's probably just a reprice.
    Jeff Kleist

3. Stephen B

Stephen B Stunt Coordinator

the 5 disc set is available in R4 over here in australia if your intrested, they are everywhere.
    steve
    ------------------
    I'm Gonna Cook Ya, Then Fu*ken Eat Ya.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

But, as I point out to so many people in other countries, 95%+ of the US does not have equipment to play PAL video, not region free DVDs. Mod chips or modded players all must be imported, Virtually no shop carries them in the US.
    Jeff Kleist

5. Stephen B

Stephen B Stunt Coordinator

i didnt think about the pal ntsc thing, that sucks a bit dosnt it. well sorry i couldnt be of any help [​IMG]
    steve
    ------------------
    I'm Gonna Cook Ya, Then Fu*ken Eat Ya.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

It certainly is true that it is difficult to find places that sell multi-region, PAL to NTSC players. But not impossible. Laser Exchange has a number of such models. I have bought LDs from these people but not a player. So far as LDs went, they were very reliable, but don't order from the site - it's not secure.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

It's definately the same item that's already been out. The info at the website you mention includes the item #, and it's the same one printed on the product I've had in my collection for a couple of years: "FOX4110439". All the other data is the same. This SKU just had a markdown to a list price of $79.98 (US), so perhaps the site you mention is just getting around to it, or there was a delay in Canada, or whatever. The latter seems likely, since Amazon reports that this title is "Popular in: Nevada (#14) , Ontario, Canada (#14)".
    Sorry. Peter Staddon, in the last Fox chat on HTF, was pretty clear that the contents of the 5th disc was not gonna be available again for the present. He said they tried to get it as a limited thing for charity purposes, and even that fell through. Apparently there is now a licensing or legal issue or something. I forget the details, but you can search for it in his last chat.
    Otherwise, eBay sells these for $50-$100 US Dollars.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!