Real Name
Josh

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'll give this the benefit of the doubt, but other than the visuals, I haven't liked a single, solitary thing that Scott has done with his Alien prequels. Hoping that this will be better, but not expecting it to be.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I honestly wouldn't expect Ridley to exert a huge influence over this show -- it'll likely be Hawley's to run more or less as he sees fit, and his track-record to date has been absolutely stellar.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Perhaps, but I'd say that Scott still has ultimate creative control. It's his baby.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Maybe, but I don't see him involving himself too directly in the day-to-day minutiae of showrunning a TV series; he's always traditionally let the head writers do their thing while taking his biggest role mostly in the initial setup (along with maybe directing an episode or two at the most).

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I agree, but it's the overarching ideas and sign-off on finished product that I think he'll control. This is my concern, Dude. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not really expecting this to end up happening but I'm curious to see how Hawley would handle it. I'm guessing he won't go wildly different like he did with Legion (where it bears almost no resemblance to the X-Men comic books or movies) but I expect him to have his own unique take and not have it be a "Ridley Scott Alien" TV show.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
This could be really cool.

Just don’t give the female androids mustaches!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Prometheus and Covenant are both great -- weird, idiosyncratic, mean films. Ridley Scott rocks, especially this late-period Ridley.

People complained Prometheus didn't do enough Alien-stuff, then complained that Covenant did too MUCH Alien-stuff. I've heard it all. Nobody knows what they want.

For decades, these movies have always existed in the liminal space between B-movie schlock and A-list prestige. Everything looks like a million bucks, you've got really good, really strange performances from legitimately-great actors like Fassbender, but also Danny McBride is the greasy action hero, and James Franco gets burned alive in a cryopod in the opening 3 minutes.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I will certainly give this show a try, but I am of the opinion that there hasn't been a good Alien movie in 34 years.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Alien may be my favorite movie ever. Certainly in the top 3. But to keep dragging it on, is just silly.

It's like "The End" can never be uttered anymore. The story was told, but filmmakers keep ripping the ending apart and saying, "No the monster is still coming". I'd love to think this could be good, but it will likely be along the lines of The Walking Dead - a never-ending series designed to keep viewers coming back weekly to support the advertisers.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Prometheus and Covenant are both great -- weird, idiosyncratic, mean films. Ridley Scott rocks, especially this late-period Ridley.

People complained Prometheus didn't do enough Alien-stuff, then complained that Covenant did too MUCH Alien-stuff. I've heard it all. Nobody knows what they want.

For decades, these movies have always existed in the liminal space between B-movie schlock and A-list prestige. Everything looks like a million bucks, you've got really good, really strange performances from legitimately-great actors like Fassbender, but also Danny McBride is the greasy action hero, and James Franco gets burned alive in a cryopod in the opening 3 minutes.

I revisited the Alien films this summer and I enjoyed those two more than all the rest. Sacrilege, perhaps, but I thought they were great. I’m more interested in another in that film series from Scott than a series, but I’m open to giving it a try.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I basically agree. However, Covenant has one of the biggest downer endings in a sci/fi film. It’s made it difficult for me to rewatch. If there’s no sequel, the ending is just hanging out there.

However, I still want Scott to have a significant influence on the series and I can’t wait. BTW, will the FX streamer it’s on be subscription only?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks