ALIEN/ALIENS LD box sets vs. past and future DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian Dolan, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

I have an affordable lead on both the "Alien" and "Aliens" laserdisc boxsets. Is there any supplemental material that either didn't end up on the previous DVD editions, or that isn't slated to appear on the new 5-Star versions? Is there any other advantage to owning the laser versions?

Also, which edition of the orginal theatrical cut of "Aliens" on laser looks/sounds the best?

Thanks,

Christian

2. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

3. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    There is a lot of text on both discs. Don't hesitate to pick them up if you want the complete archive on the making of those 2 films.

Neil

4. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Never owned a LD player but I heard that the 5.1 for Alien had better sound than the otherwise excellent DVD. I believe that the LD uses split surrounds where the DVD is mono in the rear for the most part. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Speaking of Alien, is it me or is the 5.1 sound on the DVD too lite/soft? I mean I really had to crank up the volume to hear everything. Even the Fox logo was HORRIBLE (and what I mean by horrible is that the snare roll begining sounded like it was being played by an old phonograph in the apartment next to me!!!!). I know that doesn't really mean anything, but still, you'd think they would remaster and improve the soundtrack. I hope the rumoured Alien 5-star edition comes out next year because I would really enjoy a better 5.1 soundtrack.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Aliens, at least, is worth owning for a lot of still photos that didn't make it to the dvd. Plus some text. I've always believed, but am not positive, that the Alien dvd and LD were identical in extras.

Brad: You're not imagining things. The Alien was deservedly critized for it's low volume level when it first appeared.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Michael Reuben

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Michael: Your memory sure is different from mine. The Aliens box set was widely considered one of the top releases in its day. I seem to recall that it made some top ten lists for video and sound quality. There was indeed some discussion about grain but, still, it was a must have. I recently viewed my box set. While the dvd exceeds the LD by no small margin, it was highly watchable and the grain was not annoying (I rarely noticed it), at least through my player. I'm pretty certain, however, that ones opinion on this title is very player dependent.

You're right about the early P&S version - it was ugly. Do you remember the controversy when Fox orginally announced widescreen versions of Alien and Aliens? They were to cost $100 each and be totally barebones! The LD community put up quite a howl about that. Petitions were circulated (I signed a couple). In the end, Fox delayed the releases, made them all-CAV and special editions, but kept the price.

10. Michael Reuben

11. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds