What's new

"Alien 3" Director's Cut??? (1 Viewer)

Ivan S

Auditioning
With the 10th annyversary of "Alien 3" coming this Memorial Day weekend in a few months, I'm starting to wonder if "Alien 3" is going to get the 10th annyversary treatment. Are there any director's cuts or special editions involved? Does anyone knows?

DannyS

Second Unit
not a hope in hell. Fincher, (genius that he is) won't touch it with a bargepole. This is because of the hell he went through to make it, then have fox shred it to bits, and deny him any special edition archiving privelliges.

I would love it to happen. But forget it. Just think of hwat might have been and track down some mysterious MPEGS of shreds......

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Fincher's 'Alien 3' = Kubrick's 'Fear and Desire'
Fincher probably just wants to forget about this stinker of a film and what it COULD (emphasis on COULD) have been behind him. Let's go beyond the past and into the future.
Plus I don't think that there is a snowball's chance in hell that Fox would spend the money to re-assemble 'Alien 3' into Fincher's true vision. Too Bad, I think. :frowning:
(Fincher is one my, if not my favorite director)

Ben_Hu

Agent
I have the workprint of Alien 3 and there are a lot of great scenes that were cut. This has always been one of my wishes on DVD - to finally see a definitive version, but it looks like it will never happen because of how badly Fincher was treated by Fox. Too Bad.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
What were some of the major missing scenes?

I always thought this was a very stylish, engaging, eerie film.

Jim C

Second Unit
The subject of the A3:SE DVD always crops up on these forums, yet despite the demand to have the 'real' version of Fincher's first film released on DVD, I don't think it will happen:frowning: :frowning:.
I for one would love to own Fincher's original vision of A3 on a jam packed 2 disc SE DVD - it's been my holy grail for many, many years now, but until/if that ever happens, I will just have to settle for my copy of the workprint.
Many moons ago I tried to raise interest at FOX about the demand for this title (including posting on the feedback forum: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=6721 ), but alas the subject fell on deaf ears.
For details of the cut scenes from the workprint (including scenes from Fincher's first rough assembley of the film), check out these links:
Link Removed
scroll down to the ALien 3 section on far right and select 'outtakes'
Link Removed

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
presumably the biggest expert on the subject, David Fincher has already spoken his mind on the possibility of an Alien3 director's cut in an interview with The Digital Bits almost 2 years ago:
I have no plans to revisit Alien 3. There was a kind of famous encounter about that, when footage was cut and I remember saying, "Can we possibly save this stuff for the laserdisc?" And I was told by someone with great relish, "There are no plans ever to do that." You know... it was flawed from its inception and it was certainly flawed - actually pretty fucked up - well before we started shooting. So there you go.
so as far as Fincher knows, the necessary elements for a re-cut, even if he wanted to do it, don't exist anymore.
DJ

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps, but again, it doesn't matter; if it were a 2 disc set, with the theatrical version on disc 1, and a dub from his personal vhs rough cut on disc 2, fans would still be delighted. The only difference (if the source materials aren't available -- which frankly I doubt, this is FOX) is that the rough cut would have to be presented as a big extra, rather than as a stand-alone 1 DVD release.

Come on Fox.

Jim C

Second Unit
The reels of deleted footage from Alien 3 still exist and as Will B quite rightly points out, we are talking about Fox here.
The producer of the Alien Legacy set confimred that ALien 3 was originally up for the SE treatment on DVD. He himself reviewed all the deleted footage from the film for possible inclusion on the disc. However, due to time constraints, the decision was made to concentrate on the original Alien disc along with the Legacy documentary (5th disc).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks