What's new

ALIEN 2: ON EARTH Coming To Blu-Ray & DVD (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Now, this was a flick I have been dying to see get released for what feels like forever. I saw it on Elvira's Movie Macabre back in the late 80s.

MIDNIGHT LEGACY

[SIZE= 20px]Coming March 22[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 20px]Standard DVD[/SIZE]

[SIZE= 20px]Blu-Ray[/SIZE]

• [COLOR= #000000]Uncut Version[/COLOR]​
  • [COLOR= #000000]Brand new 1.85:1 high definition transfer from the original 35mm negative featuring significant additional footage not seen anywhere in the world.[/COLOR]​
  • [COLOR= #000000]U[/COLOR][COLOR= #000000]ltra high bitrate AVC encode @36 MBS, on a BD-50, faithfully representing our 2k scan and preserving the integrity and look of film.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= #000000]English DTS MA 2.0, fully restored from the original audio masters, and respectful of the original sound design.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= #000000]Special features include the only surviving trailer from the mega rare Dutch VHS , and effects outtakes transferred directly from the negative B-roll in full HD.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= #000000]30,000 piece, Limited Edition single pressing run designed as a true collector’s item for the serious collector. [/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= #000000]Once sold through, this title will never be available again.[/COLOR]
  • [COLOR= #000000] [/COLOR]All Region.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
News of the new label was extremely exciting to me. The film, well, I've never seen it but I will definitely be among the first to get my hands on a copy. But the real story here is that someone will finally do justice to long-forgotten films. I'd become frustrated with companies like Media Blasters and their endless delays, broken promises and less-than-pristine and cut transfers. Hopefully Midnight Legacy won't be just another outlet for bottom-of-the-barrel Eurotrash and they'll also give some attention to U.S. and Canadian exploitation films, of which there are plenty of still unreleased.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Have you been following that "debate" with Midnight Legacy and the AV Maniacs crowd on their site? Wow, I'm conflicted now as to whether I'll ever get this release. I mean, it's a flick I seriously want, but, in light, of what I read on that thread . . . well, let's just say I'm on the fence about it.

Obviously, it'll be a long while before I ever pick it up, due to the absence of a blu-ray player in my home.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
I wish every studio would take such care with their releases.

The disc producer even went to Rome himself to oversee the transfer.

While this is not a movie I'm dying to see, I WILL support such dedication with a purchase. Just get it up on Amazon soon, okay?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
"Such care," huh? A bootleg/pirate company of something like 20 years in the business suddenly claims to go legit and you're willing to take their word for what they claim to be doing?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by bgart13

"Such care," huh? A bootleg/pirate company of something like 20 years in the business suddenly claims to go legit and you're willing to take their word for what they claim to be doing?
I'm not going to let all that negativity dampen my enthusiasm for what could be an exciting new label totally dedicated to top-notch quality. I can't judge these guys by something they did 15 or 20 years ago - ultimately their product will speak for themselves. We'll see.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I don't wanna create any friction between you guys, since I like the both of you, but I'm kind of thinking along the lines of Luis at the moment, and that's probably because this is a flick I have been dying to see on legit DVD for some time, so, I may be blinded by that fact alone . . . but by the time I can get my hands on a blu-ray player, this whole situation will most likely be resolved anyhow, and we'll all know if this title and this company are for real. If they're not, well, no DVD for me then.

This is one of those situations where I wish this much desired title was with someone else, like, Synpase, or Shout, just to stave off all the controversy it's going through for being associated with a company that might not be on level. And I'm putting that as nicely as I can, since I don't want this thread to degenerate into a thread of hate for Midnight Legacy.

Which, as I read from AV Maniacs, looks fairly justified, but let's break that cycle here on HTF. Hate begets hate and it's nothing but a vicious cycle until we're all fucked up and concerned with nothing but making hate posts.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Man, I just read the interesting developments on AV, and, well, I have this title on my blog, on the front page . . . I think, when PIRANHA 3D gets announced I'm gonna replace it with that. Not sure I want this movie anymore, which sucks, and now I hate Midnight Legacy for making me NOT want it. This whole thing is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

This reminds me of a the time I got into a car accident when I was in grade school. Me, my brother and my mother had just been to the bookstore, and I had just bought the latest issue of FANGORIA and a horror novel called, CREEPERS. After the accident happened, we were all not seriously injured, I couldn't look at that issue or that book without feeling queasy and uneasy. So, I got rid of the both of them. This is starting to feel similar.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Shawn, was it mentioned anywhere on Midnight's website that they weren't doing DVD versions? I must've read their mission statement three times (couldn't help it - what I was reading seemed too good to be true) but I didn't read anything about their stuff being Blu-ray only. If they wanna survive they'll need to cater to both DVD and Blu-ray (or just do the combo thing). As for the movies they'll be releasing in the future, like I said earlier I hope they will also do stuff like Final Terror or Rituals and not stick to just Eurohorror. Imagine the possiblities: Umberto Lenzi films (Eyeball, Ghosthouse), lost Canadian gems like Curtains, Funeral Home, maybe they'll even grab the rights to movies that MGM controls, like Death Ship, Incredible Melting Man. This is why I'm so enthusiastic about this new label: who knows what they have planned!

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
It was stated in the thread at AV Maniacs, somewhere in that long ass post, that if he gets enough demand for it, ALIEN 2 would become available on standard DVD. It would be nice if Midnight Legacy turned out to be a decent distributor of those long lost flicks you've got listed in your post, it's just the people behind the company seem like royal scumbags, and I don't know if I want to help those kind of people with my greenbacks.

Let's just say I'll be more convinced of their product when I see a glowing review of ALIEN 2 in the future. Then I'll have a better idea of what side of the fence my feet touch down on.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I was't even considering this release and curiosity got the better of me, so I checked out the thread over @ AVManiacs. I would be hard pressed to buy anything from Midnight Legacy given what I read, mostly from the people running Midnight Legacy themselves.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Originally Posted by bgart13

Yup. I'll take their word for it.

I see no reason not to, but I'm sure you'll try to make me see the error of my ways.

Like a previous poster said, the disc will speak for itself.

Fool me once...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
All I wanna know is this: how did a movie that had no connection to "Alien" legally get away with the title "Alien 2"???

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

All I wanna know is this: how did a movie that had no connection to "Alien" legally get away with the title "Alien 2"???

The Italians were always renaming their movies and calling them sequels to popular U.S. films of the time. I think "Alien 2" was released as Alien Terror in North America.

DolphC

Grip
Real Name
Dolph Chiarino
Thanks for all the kind words. Alien 2 was never released in the states on video. The title Alien Terror was used in other countries including the UK.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR that incubates inside human hosts."

So it's an Italian sequel - that was made first? And the plot has little connection - other than both strongly feature aliens the come from eggs and incubate inside humans?

Sorry - not for one second do I believe "Alien 2" was made BEFORE "Alien"!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Where does the Wikipedia article say that "Alien 2" was made first? It explicitly says it came out the following year (1980).

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
I think there's some confusion here between when the film was made and going through the legal hurdles to get the name trademarked (maybe someone thought it couldn't be trademarked here, since alien is a generic term).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks