What's new

UHD Alien (1979) coming to UHD (4K) Blu-Ray per The Digital Bits (1 Viewer)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Mostly the external planet views, outer space and ship exterior views. They didn't actually appear dated to me until I saw the film in digital (DVD) quality for the first time..

That's part of the charm, at least for me. Be default, everything will look dated the minute the movie or show comes out. (And knowing there were ship models and planet miniatures and the like is really cool to know for me...and I fully admit I'm a nerd when it comes to these things.)

I tend to go down YouTube rabbit holes a lot and I'm finding promos for different movies premiering on different networks in the 80s and 90s. Movies like Star Trek III, Superman, etc. At the time, they looked great and cutting edge and futuristic. Today..not so much. Star Trek III is a terrible offender: the costumes are pretty awful, some of the sets are laughable, the model work is...you get the point. But please don't start replacing things with CGI. Let what the original artists and craftspeople did stand.

Reactions: PMF

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I agree about the costumes and some of the sets but the Visual effects by ILM still hold up terrifically imo.

I'm thinking specifically of the lighting on the Enterprise when it blows up. It just doesn't look right to me for some reason...but none of it is as "off" as Star Trek V. (I may need to revisit The Search for Spock this weekend with the pups...)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Star Trek III was a relatively cheap production, with a budget of around $16 million at a time when big films cost in the $30-40 million range.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm thinking specifically of the lighting on the Enterprise when it blows up. It just doesn't look right to me for some reason...but none of it is as "off" as Star Trek V. (I may need to revisit The Search for Spock this weekend with the pups...)
Nothing could ever make the effects of STV passable. Not then. Not now. Not ever.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
I know of atleast a couple recent major Blu-ray releases that contain, along with the orig. version and/or directors cut of the main feature, bonus FAN-MADE alternate versions... i.e. there may be hope for Star Trek V yet.. (and maybe even Alien Resurrection)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I know of atleast a couple recent major Blu-ray releases that contain, along with the orig. version and/or directors cut of the main feature, bonus FAN-MADE alternate versions... i.e. there may be hope for Star Trek V yet.. (and maybe even Alien Resurrection)

I don’t think you do.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Which ones?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
IMG_6210.JPG
The theatrical cut is the director's cut in this case...the other cut is just the Ridley Fiddley cut. He's not calling that a "director's cut" now is he?

They called it The Director's Cut for the last reissue.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
View attachment 56564

They called it The Director's Cut for the last reissue.

Good god, that's misleading. I thought Mr. Scott had stated he was not at all calling the recut version a "director's cut" because the things he reinserted into it were trims that he felt they got correct on the theatrical release. I think the only thing he felt good about in the recut was that he shortened the scenes showing the Nostromo early in the film because he felt today's audience would find them "boring."

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Which ones?

For clarity's sake, I wasn't referring to the Alien series but other titles..
eg. The new Arrow edition of Kevin Costner's (famously polarizing) WATERWORLD contains, along with the theatrical + directors cuts, a fan-made version known as the "Ulysses Cut".
(unfortntly, I dont recall the other title at the moment)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For clarity's sake, I wasn't referring to the Alien series but other titles..
eg. The new Arrow edition of Kevin Costner's (famously polarizing) WATERWORLD contains, along with the theatrical + directors cuts, a fan-made version known as the "Ulysses Cut".
(unfortntly, I dont recall the other title at the moment)
Are you thinking of "Dances with Wolves"?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Raising Cain Scream edition apparently has a Fan-Edit that was sought after and approved by DePalma to the point of even labeling it a Director's Cut.

Clive Barker's Nightbreed Cabal Cut may be the one you're thinking about though

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A forty year old film should be a bit dated. I think this is dated in a good way, a very classy well made film with an amazing Jerry Goldsmith score (it has a great score...that dates it!). I prefer the directors tinkered about version, as it annoyed me that I didn't know what happened to the crew.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A forty year old film should be a bit dated. I think this is dated in a good way, a very classy well made film with an amazing Jerry Goldsmith score (it has a great score...that dates it!). I prefer the directors tinkered about version, as it annoyed me that I didn't know what happened to the crew.
The problem with that scene though is it completely messes up continuity with the rest of the franchise. I mean why do you need a queen if you can just convert hosts into eggs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks