What's new

UHD Alien (1979) coming to UHD (4K) Blu-Ray per The Digital Bits (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'll wait for the reviews that say it's better than the last BD version. It's getting hard to buy these UHD discs when they try to suck you in for $5 more for HDR.
Apparently its a new scan...although they already HAD a 4K scan done for the Anthology.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
A new scan is nice, but why the lack of features though. This being the 40th anniversary, I was expecting a nice look back 40 years later with the remaining cast and a tribute to both Sir John Hurt and Harry Dean Stanton.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A new scan is nice, but why the lack of features though. This being the 40th anniversary, I was expecting a nice look back 40 years later with the remaining cast and a tribute to both Sir John Hurt and Harry Dean Stanton.
That would be nice, but they’ve sold the Alien franchise in many formats. Maybe they figure they can’t sell enough of this edition to make new extras worthwhile. I know I’m waiting for reviews to tell me it’s at least a noticeable upgrade image-wise, before I buy.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I've mentioned this on twitter, but I'll mention it here, too. The end credits for this movie were different on 70mm prints. They were over a moving star field as opposed to the static one on the 35mm prints. These credits, which were shown theatrically, have never been on home video. I'd love to have them as a bonus feature.

Neil

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
That would be nice, but they’ve sold the Alien franchise in many formats. Maybe they figure they can’t sell enough of this edition to make new extras worthwhile. I know I’m waiting for reviews to tell me it’s at least a noticeable upgrade image-wise, before I buy.

This 40th edition is just rehashing all of the previous releases, it seems that the only release that has the worthwhile features is the Alien Anthology.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
This 40th edition is just rehashing all of the previous releases, it seems that the only release that has the worthwhile features is the Alien Anthology.

Except that it's 4K UHD, a format that it's never been released on. I've already got the Anthology with it's exhaustive extras and am happy with them, so what I'm primarily interested in is how this looks. If it's a significant improvement over the current Blu-ray I'll buy it, and Aliens as well if it's also a quality 4K release. The rest are just fine in 1080p for me.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Except that it's 4K UHD, a format that it's never been released on. I've already got the Anthology with it's exhaustive extras and am happy with them, so what I'm primarily interested in is how this looks. If it's a significant improvement over the current Blu-ray I'll buy it, and Aliens as well if it's also a quality 4K release. The rest are just fine in 1080p for me.

I don't care about UHD though

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have the Anthology blu-ray and it looks good! But if this transfer is done really well since I have the Sony XBR55A9F OLED I will purchase Alien on 4K Blu-ray! My two favorite of the series is Alien and Aliens so those two I will buy again on 4K but happy enough with the good transfer on standard blu-ray!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'd be disappointed if everything from the Anthology wasn't ported over at the very least, but I wouldn't be completely shocked.

That being said, I have zero problem getting the UHD release and keeping the Anthology on the shelf for the extras. I regularly put one of the docs on for no good reason other than the high quality of those extras.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'd be disappointed if everything from the Anthology wasn't ported over at the very least, but I wouldn't be completely shocked.
According to the specs virtually none of the extras are being ported over except for the commentaries, isolated scores and some deleted scenes.

ALIEN 40th Anniversary Bonus Features:
  • 1979 Theatrical Version
  • 2003 Director’s Cut
  • 2003 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott and the Cast & Crew
  • 1999 Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Final Theatrical Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Composer’s Original Isolated Score – Dolby Digital 5.1 (1979 Theatrical Version Only)
  • Deleted Scenes

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, I just saw that in the other thread. Oh well. I keep the Anthology. It's not the worst thing ever.

Britton

Screenwriter
Yeah, I just saw that in the other thread. Oh well. I keep the Anthology. It's not the worst thing ever.

Me too. The box doesn’t take up a ton of real estate and the only other UHD from this series that I want is “Aliens”. Who knows when James Cameron will get around to it (and if he does he might do a T2 hit job to it).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Problem with the Anthology set is the packaging can scratch the discs. Its happened to me a couple of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks