What's new

Alice In Chains Conundrum (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Well, big conundrum. I just heard (I guess I've been in a closet -- listen mostly to satellite radio) on the local station that Alice In Chains is reuniting for a charity concert on Feb 18th here in Seattle. Now, obviously, this is a band in name only -- Layne Staley, the lead singer, has been dead for 3 years.

Here's the thing though, should I still see them? I've had the opportunity to see a few bands over the years before they broke up (Soundgarden a few times, Nirvana before Cobain died), but I never got to see Alice In Chains, who is one of my favorite bands of that era -- along with Faith No More, another band I didn't get to see, but that's another story.

The closest I came to seeing Alice In Chains was in '91, at a local Pavillion, but it's proximity to Christmas worked out that I couldn't go. I never had the chance to see them, it just never worked out. I know Staley was the heart and soul... well, I almost think he's more the soul, Cantrell has just as much heart in the band. I just don't know if I can bring myself to see the band, when the main guy is gone. I know Cantrell did a majority of the vocals, especially later, but... shit, I just don't know.

I don't know what to do. Any of you guys/gals see Cantrell live? How is he? Hrm... I don't know what to do. :frowning:

Doug

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd guess it will be Jerry that will be singing, since he sang some portion of the majority of their songs. So if it were me, I'd go.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Man this would be a tuff one.

AIC remains one of my favorite bands of ANY era. But a big part of that was Layne's vocals.....he has a very unique style that I don't think can be replaced.

As much as I hate to say it, I might have to take a pass on that one.

BGL

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
The hard thing is that a few of the songs I really love -- Love Hate Love and God Am, forget about them. Cantrell ain't gonna do them, or do them right. I mean, I liked their last album too, and that was a lot of Cantrell.

Doug

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Those are right at the top of my list also.

Alice was one of my favorite bands and I never saw them either, and I regret it to this day. As for this concert, it's definitely a hard decision. I was never a big fan of the songs that Jerry sang, so I would probably make my decision based on price.

Luckily, I did get to see Faith No More 3 times, albeit it was on their last 2 tours. I would pay anything to go back in time and catch them on the "Angel Dust" tour.

AricB

Second Unit
I would go for sure, it may be different and it may be slanted towards Jerry's vocal abilities, but I've seen him solo, and loved the show. I thought he did a fantastic show, with sean kinney drumming, chris degarmo on guitar, and i forgot the bassist. they pulled the AIC stuff, that jerry was featured on originally, they even did floyd's brain damage/eclipse, and it was awesome. Layne was the voice, and maybe the soul early on, but I think after Dirt, it was very much Jerry in the drivers seat.

I agree, Layne would be difficult to find an adequate replacement. but your talking about a charity event, would you like to hear they guys who originally performed minus their lead singer, or not at all. I'd like to see them guys tour,even if it is under a different name. I've been watching the unplugged dvd alot lately, and they were quite a tight band. I wish i could have seen them more than the once at lollapalooza.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I saw Cantrell on a solo gig open for Metallica in 99(?). He sounded great and did about 5 or 6 AIC songs along with about 5 or so of his solo songs. He was on for about 45min to an hour

Id see him again in a heartbeat. Better to have some Alice than none.

I saw McCartney and it was a thrill to hear some Beatles live even though 2 are gone.

See my point?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Being a Cantrell fan, Id go.

I was lucky enough to see them back in the ealry 90s.

"Layne would be difficult to find an adequate replacement."

Have you heard the 2 disc Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2? Some of it sounds like Layne.

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'd go. I saw Page & Plant in 95 and 99 and while it was half the band I still loved it. You can argue that doing Led Zeppelin songs with the original rhythm section is blasphemy but given the fact I was unable to see them together (although I had my chances)

I saw Faith No More when they opened the GnR and Metallica
tour ( 1992? ). They were very good although it was quite apparent that most people had come to see Metallica and GnR.

Tim

AricB

Second Unit
Jon, I have all Jerry's solo discs, yes some songs do sound like him, but he can't do all the songs Layne did. Regardless, I'd go in a second.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Seen AIC twice, Cantrell twice.

I'd say go for it but temper your expectations. I think Cantrell is smart enough to know what he can and can't pull off. The songs that rely heavily on Staley won't make the set list. Remember that Cantrell wrote most of the music and more than half of the lyrics, he really was the major creative force behind the band. And he has a good voice too and is a hell of a guitar player.

I'd go just to support the guys and in memory of Layne, but that's just me. I was in college from 1991-1996 and I'd be lying if I said that AIC didn't help me get through a lot of crap (as did the whole Seattle movement, saw PJ several times and Soundgarden--unfortunately--only twice but I've seen Cornell once and Audioslave once).

I'd say go, you never know who's going to show. They have a lot of talented friends.

I remember a year or two ago I saw Pearl Jam was going to play in Santa Barbara but got in too late for tix (sold out). Turns out Cornell came by and they did a few Temple of the Dog songs. I'd have given my left nut to be there ;)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Well, my decision got easier. I totally forgot about tickets this morning, I was too busy at work to take a quick second to hit the net. Sold out. Oh well, I'll take that as a sign I shouldn't go... even though you talked me into going. Hrm.. Oh well.

Doug

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there's enough interest, that, a) they'll do another show up there, and/or, b) take it on the road.

Since I never got a chance to see them back then, I'd go. :)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I heard today that the guy from Damageplan is going to help on the vocals. They have tickets auctioning for charity next week, and they're already on eBay. Now I'm wanting to go. Grumble,grumble.

Doug

Kris Deering

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris Deering
Wow I never heard about this. I would have gone if I had a bit more heads up. I love AIC and even Staley's side project Mad Season.

Jerry is a great singer but his vocal style is quite a bit different then Staley's was. Doesn't have the raspyness. But I would love to hear the band play together again. Some of the instrumental stuff would rock. Jar of Flies was one of my favorites and it had some great instrumental only tracks.

If you go Doug please chime in on how it went. I live over in Bremerton so I am going to be pissed that I missed this.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I found a few reviews of the show online. Sounded like it was really good. I think ultimately, that I'm happy I didn't go. It sounded like it was a "Special Night with Alice In Chains" for about half of it (even though the rock half sounded pretty awesome). The Alice In Chains I remember was heavy, loud, rock. I like the Unplugged album, but it's not my favorite. And another thing, is that I really, really, don't care for Heart. I had to sit through Anne Wilson for an hour plus while waiting for Queensryche -- I wanted to shoot myself by the end of her set. Yeah, yeah, she has a great voice and stage presence, etc., etc., but she doesn't do it for me.

So, here's the review:

ALICE IN CHAINS Joined By TOOL, PUDDLE OF MUDD, DAMAGEPLAN Singers During Benefit Concert - Feb. 19, 2005

The surviving members of ALICE IN CHAINS were joined on stage by Maynard James Keenan (TOOL), Wes Scantlin (PUDDLE OF MUDD), Patrick Lachman (DAMAGEPLAN) and Ann Wilson (HEART) during their performance at a benefit for tsunami relief Friday night (Feb. 18) night in Seattle, Washington.

ALICE IN CHAINS members Jerry Cantrell (guitar), Mike Inez (bass), and Sean Kinney (drums) performed together onstage for the first time since 1996. ALICE IN CHAINS ended in 2002 with the death of lead singer Layne Staley. A review of last night's performance by a fan calling himself "Morfiend" reads as follows:

"After about four opening acts Jerry, Sean and Mike came out along with Scotty Olson [who played with ALICE IN CHAINS on 'MTV Unplugged' and engineered Cantrell's first solo album], Chris Degarmo [ex-QUEENSRŸCHE], Pat Lachman and someone else I didn't recognize. They all sat down on chairs and did a 5-6 song acoustic set that started with 'Killer is Me' and from what I remember also featured 'No Excuses', 'Down in a Hole', 'Got Me Wrong', 'Heaven Beside You' and 'Brother' (with Ann Wilson from HEART). Next after an intermission featured the sisters from HEART doing an acoustic set by themselves. After the acoustic set Mike Inez, Jerry, Scotty Olson joined the HEART sisters to play two LED ZEPPELIN covers (the names of the songs escape me). The HEART set was then finished with their two big hits 'Crazy on You' and 'Baracooda'. After that amazing set I thought the show might have been over but NOPE! The boys from ALICE came back out again and played a heavy set with guest vocalists Pat, Wes from PUDDLE OF MUDD and MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN FROM TOOL!!!!! Unbelievable, I was almost in shock. Anyways, here are the songs that I can remember from the heavy set-

Angry Chair (w/ Wes)
Would? (w/ Wes)
Them Bones (w/ Maynard)
Man in the Box (w/ Maynard)
Rooster (w/ Maynard, Ann Heart, Pat and Wes)
and there's 2-3 more that escape me

"Anyways, this was a once in a lifetime show and for a great cause. The guys from ALICE sounded amazing, HEART sounded amazing and I still can't believe Maynard was there."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks