1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Aliasing with just words?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cory R. B., Apr 17, 2002.

1. Cory R. B.

Cory R. B. Stunt Coordinator

On systems like Nintendo 64 and PSX, I get horrible aliasing staircase stuff on everything, stuff as simple as just the picture that is the title of the game on the title screen. Any text is hard to read because of aliasing. How can the programming be so bad that things like text looks bad?
    I don't have this problem with newer systems like XBox and PS2, all text looks nice and crisp. Is the problem with the older systems just because my HDTV has so many more lines of resolution and the image is being forced to stretch, like if you take a JPG on the computer and magnify it?
    If so, that stinks. That means that N64 and PSX look better on a worse television. [​IMG]

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

3. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

4. Cory R. B.

Cory R. B. Stunt Coordinator

I don't see sharper everything. Everything is so aliased it is unbelievable. In Zelda:MM, Link's face looks almost like a giant smudge, with the details just barely poking through the aliasing. Same with Donkey Kong 64.

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    Yes, N64 games are and aren't aliased. If you look at the edges of the poly, you will note that they have anti-aliasing applied to them, making them less jaggy. Compare this to a PS1 game, which has very aliased edges and lack perspective correction.

The problem with N64 games is that they use teeny tiny textures and then blow them up. It's this scaling that makes things look aliased -- let's say you take a 10 X 10 pixel texture to cover an area 10 times its size and it's no wonder so many of the backgrounds look so blocky (BTW, numbers were pulled out of my ass).

But it's not just blocky -- the overused N64 anti-aliasing makes it look blurry as well. That's why Link's face is a big smudge -- not because of the aliasing, but because of the anti-aliasing.

Hanson

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The N64 games looked "softer" than the PSX games, but also looked fuzzier. Nonetheless, gameplay is whats most important, yadda yadda yadda.