What's new

Alias Season Premiere - 09/28/03 - The Two (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
And what exactly is the title referring to? Is it the two years that have passed? Is it the two women Vaughn's been in love with? Or is it the two Sydneys that have been running around ever since Syd disappeared and got cloned?!?!?!

and where are Will and Syd's mom??
I knew it! Irina is Will's mother!

BobV

Second Unit
Very good episode... set this season up just nicely.

"Vaughn out of the CIA"

You really believe that? :)

"the weak Rimbaldi conclusion"

You really believe that? :)

So, some wild theories...

The Russian assassin ... when Sidney catches him about to slit her friend's throat... a moment of epiphany on the Russian's end... he's outta there immediately cuz he knows what this chick can do... he's worked with her in the last couple of years, in fact they may have had 'a thing'... he runs straight to boss Arvand Sloane who is the head of this new evil organization 'The Covenant'... and that is why Sloane has the folder ready, he knows Sidney's in town and it's only time.

Vaughn... he says he's a 'teacher'... he says he's married... Sidney tells him off... he takes it... that conversation will be revisited as an apology on Sidney's part when she learns the truth. Vaugh is still with the CIA (scenes from upcoming episodes), in deep cover... his 'wife' is in the CIA as well (scenes from upcoming episodes) which only goes to further clarify that Vaughn is of course, still in the CIA.

The Rambaldi Device... is alive and well... it's much much more than 'peace'... in fact Sloane has used it on Sidney to ?help? her... Sloane continues to use it somehow in his role as CEO of the WorldHealthOrganization...

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
There are a number of things that strained credibility this week. Sydney goes rogue and is declared an enemy of the state. Upon retrieving the chip that has all the knowledge in the world about some project, she comes waltzing into the CIA office without being challenged, and then blackmails the NSC guy into releasing her father. At the end, Jack and Sydney are both back working for the CIA as normal, but in comes Vaughn, who no longer works for the CIA, but still has unfettered access to the facilities.

In reality, Sydney would have been arrested under the Patriot Act and been imprisoned right next to her father. Almost certainly, neither would hold a clearance to work for and have access to CIA facilities any longer.

Sloane evidently is as slippery as Lionel or Lex Luthor. After everything is said and done, he heads a philanthropic institution and is untouchable as far as Sydney is concerned.

Joel C

Screenwriter
They got rid of SD-6 because Sydney is such a BAD SPY it was idiotic that she hadn't been caught be the suposedly brilliant Sloane.

I liked the premiere, I've liked every episode pretty much. Post Phase One is different, this is different too. I just like to get caught up in the story.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
but in comes Vaughn, who no longer works for the CIA, but still has unfettered access to the facilities.
There's more than meets the eye, here.

This is one of those shows that defies analysis, because you are too frequently led to believe something that is other than the truth. This whole season premiere was essentially shown from Sydney's perspective. She's a confused outsider now, and we'll fill in the pieces as she does over the coming weeks.

I thought this was a good episode... maybe the only problem being that it pulled a few too many threads at once.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.

-Scott

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
The biggest strain of credibility for me was that Sydney fires that pistol/bazooka at the armored car, and amzingly the guy carrying the chipp is blown from the car and the chip is undamaged. Wow!

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
It was a wig. I believe there was a shot of her putting it on. I'm glad to be back this season with all you guys here.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Pretty good but I thought (given the track record) that they'd reveal more in this episode. Interesting to see if it plays out more like the earlier life of the show (more mythology/story based) or post Superbowl show (more stand-alone, kicking random ass) :). Good to see the familar characters back to a large extent.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
The premiere needed to be a 2-hr premiere. There was soo much more that I wanted answers too. I was soo bumbed when it ended.

JJ Abrahms, you sir are a tease.

Can't wait till next weekend.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The biggest strain of credibility for me was that Sydney fires that pistol/bazooka at the armored car, and amzingly the guy carrying the chipp is blown from the car and the chip is undamaged. Wow!
That was my biggest issue too. However the guy with the chip wasn't just blown from the car, he was on his way out just as she fired. Still, it's a stretch that he recovered so quickly. And I was a little disappointed with them using the "bad guy lands on own knife" thing again.

Everything else I'm okay with - it's plenty to keep me interested. Though I AM noticing some beginnings of skepticism as experienced with Dark Angel Season 2 when they brought in the talking dog-man.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
ohhhhh, don't remind me of Dark Angel. Very disappointing turn of the series. I think that's what killed it. It did for me.

Anyhow, ok episode. Like many said before, it should have been a bit longer. I felt it was a bit to frantic and getting Dad out of jail was a bit too early and easy. It would have been nice to stretch that out a bit with him trying to get Sydney info from jail.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
IIRC, Sydney handcuffed the guy's wrist to his belt very quickly, spun him around into the wall, and that caused the switchblade to go into his abdomen.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Ah, I think he's still alive. My thought is that he is directly involved with Syd's memory loss. Note at the end how she killed that old guy? Same method, knife to the neck. He was going to do the same thing to Reese until Syd showed up just in time.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Anyone who thought that they would resolve all the loose ends left over from last year in one episode has not been watching Alias. Heck, how long was it until we knew what Sark showed Sloan in his office???

The interesting thing that JJ Abrams does is reinvent the show every season.

1st season - Syd, double agent, undercover.
2nd season - Syd, with Vaughn, in love, working for CIA
3rd season - Syd, no longer with Vaughn, trying to find out where she's been for two years.

The guy is pretty amazing for changing it that much each season.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
There are a number of things that strained credibility this week.
Hello!
Its a TV show. Alias has never been abvout realism but who cares.
I remember before Alias premiered a few years ago critics were saying it was good but could we believe in a character that was going to college and was a double agent?
You either can or you cant.
If you want reality, watch PBS.

Someone asked why they changed the show. Part of it was because it was too hard to follow for the general public and I think JJ Abrams thought it was a bit hard to keep the double agent plot going over and over again.
I dont mind the changes. This show keeps things fresh and reinvents itself periodically.
More shows should take the example.

I thought last nights epsisode was very good.
I was a bit surprised when the hitman pulled up and she just Blew the whole damn car up. Talk about someone on a mission.
I thought Garner did an incredible job as did Garber.
The scene where she goes to visit her Dad packed an emotional Wallop.

The one thing I am hoping is that there is more to the Rambaldi Device than "Peace."

It's going to be an exciting season!The Patriotic Act? HUH?
If she was arrested, the show would be over.

Just have fun with it people!

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
And I was a little disappointed with them using the "bad guy lands on own knife" thing again.
Perhaps this is not a hackneyed reuse of the same thing in season 1 but a clue. A clue to the fact that they might have been lovers somewhere during the two years. Then again it's probably a ripoff.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Perhaps this is not a hackneyed reuse of the same thing in season 1 but a clue. A clue to the fact that they might have been lovers somewhere during the two years. Then again it's probably a ripoff.
Maybe it's related to how she got her scar.

Man watching the show on DVD ruined me, cause now I have to wait (which I have no choice) till next Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks