What's new

Alias Season Five/Complete Series Sets (1 Viewer)

David Bixenspan

Stunt Coordinator
The compression really does concern me here, especially since the video quality of the previous sets was fantastic and the show has a decent amount of action.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

From watching them recently, I'd say they really need to be watched together. I'm pretty sure the second parts didn't even have a title sequence or credits at the beginning, and the first parts definitely did not have end credits. They could be watched independently, but it's more like a commercial break at the end rather than a stopping point you'd want to continue watching the next day.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Shows often are produced as two independent episodes and then are aired as a two hour special.

The 2-Hour series premiere of Buffy was produced as two episodes but aired as one. The network will often remove the second title sequence or first episode's end credits so they can air an extra few ads during the time... it doesn't have anything to do with the production of the episodes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the episodes work together but the DVD will have them as produced- the episodes separated and each with their own opening and ending credits. Either way, it's a six-of-one-half-a-dozen-of-the-other type of situation. :)

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
One comment...

It really is too bad that in order to get the neat box you have to re-purchase seasons 1-4.

I mean, for "Friends" you were able to send $20 in and get the wooden and glass box to hold all of the seasons when you purchased Season 10.

It'd be nice if you could do the same for "Alias." It appears from the pictures of the packaging that they are simply going to "repurpose" the season discs from the individuals sets into the boxed set packaging.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

5 episodes at 44 mins each leaves 20 mins of space on the disc, enough for some deleted scenes, or a few commentaries. They could do 5, 5, 5, 2 + bonus materials. Disney has done 5 episodes on a disc (Grey's Anatomy, Night Stalker) and they look fine.

Gord

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Didn't they only make 5,000 of the Buffy Collection? Those are still available at certain locations...

with 8 times as many of the ALIAS ones being made I think it'll be around by December...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Cool. I've never purchased a limited set before, so I didn't know how quickly they moved. Sadly enough, I did buy a Head East CD over a year ago that was limited to 2500 copies, and it's still available for sale.

John*D

Second Unit
Any idea if Disney will do what FOX did with Buffy and release thinpaks after this collection?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, interesting news on the series set. I never bought the series on DVD, though I was a regular viewer/fan. So this is a great opportunity for those who have not bought the DVDs yet.

MattGSmith

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so Amazon already has it for pre order for $139.99 That's a steal in my book. Anyone think it'll go lower somewhere else? With only 40K made, these definitely won't last right?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah that's how it aired but it wasn't they were made or how they will be on the DVD. The same thing happened on (I believe) the Alias S2 finale. It was two episodes but they played the credits for both episodes at the beginning of the first one and on DVD it's shown as two individual episodes.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

The R1 Buffy set was well over 5,000 more like 50,000 or even more. Not sure if there was an official edition limit. Can't remember talk of one but may have been.
Here's the story
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4018
mentions LE but no edition limit.

In UK R2 the first complete Buffy set in 2004 was limited to numbered 20,000 copies and that sold out virtually at release, was gone within a week or so. Most online stores sold out to preorders.
The reissued complete set in 2005 was numbered but did not have an edition limit so Fox can keep churning them out if they want to. Same with their complete Angel set. You still see them on sale but they are now hard to find in store.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I'm hoping it's sturdier than it appears, but I'm typically not into stunt packaging either. My main draw is the entire season at a discount.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
At the complete series website, I am asked to enter the "city where Rambaldi's legacy began." Does anyone know? I tried Parma, which is listed as his birthplace, and Rome, and Vatican, and Taipei, but I'm getting "incorrect" on everything.

Edit: I had it correct with one of those, but it apparently required all caps.

PARMA

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Tim,

I somehow missed your post early in the thread. I'm glad to see you enjoy the show as much as I do. People seem split on season 3, so if you liked that (I did, too), you'll probably like four and five.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Amazon is no longer accepting anymore pre-orders for Alias complete set. I guess they have met the quota of how many sets they will be able to get. I was planning to just buy it locally, hopefully places like best buy will even carry it on release week. Maybe i should not take that chance and just pre-order it elsewhere before they are sold out aswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks