Alias - can it survive another season?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Dec 17, 2001.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Alias is one of the three shows I make time for -- I think it's great. But I'm concerned the show will burn itself out in one glorious season, leaving little for a second, much less, third season.
    There are two plot resolutions that invariably kill a show:
    1) Romantic Tension resolved (e.g. Lois and Clark, Moonlighting)
    2) Conspiracy Theory revealed (e.g. The X-Files)
    So far, (1) is not an issue for Alias, but I feel that (2) is being flirted with, dangerously.
    I can appreciate why they are not pulling any punches, with shows given very little time to develope audiences these days. But I fear that so much of the conspiracy is being revealed, that there won't be enough tension-fodder for the next season.
    Please tell me I'm wrong. Alias is too much fun, and I hope it only gets better. [​IMG]

2. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

I don't think there are any X-Files size secrets. Just a lot of question marks. It'll be interesting to see how long they can sustain some of this stuff. Can Will keep researching the SD-6 story for 5 years? We've got to give the producers and writers a chance to show us their metal. (or is that mettle?)

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Don't forget the corollary to (2) -- let's call it (2a):

(2a) Resolution of conspiracy plot delayed so long that people lose interest.

Alias has to walk a fine line, but I don't think there's any danger that they'll run out of steam anytime soon. There's been some hint that SD-6 is just one part of a larger worldwide enterprise. Plenty of possibilities there. And as noted, there's always K-Directorate.

A bigger risk for Alias, IMO, is the need to keep coming up with cliffhangers, which then have to be resolved very quickly, like the old serials. That could get old very fast.

M.

4. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

It actually bugs me that they resolve the cliffhangers so fast. It somewhat ruins their power.

Though I do think Alias has moved at breakneck speed for the whole season, there's a lot of room to grow. Will doesn't have to keep researching SD-6, for example. Maybe he gets threatened. Maybe he goes undercover. Who knows? I do believe the plot line will need to evolve throughout the series, and not remain simply with the double agent angle the whole time. That will get exhausted eventually. With the setup of SD-4, etc., and with what's his face(her boss, name slips my mind) talking last night about

how he foresaw everything, including being BETRAYED by the CIA,
    there is a great deal of room for changes. Something that was so popular about John Grisham novels/movies(but which did get exhaustive for me eventually) was the hero on their own, chased by both the authorities and a third party, with no one to trust. Alias seems set up to really run with such a situation, for at least a season. If she found out the CIA couldn't be trusted(I mean would you trust the CIA?), then a whole new plotline could emerge. She could even work with Will to uncover the entire system. There's plenty of room left. So far I think they've been incredibly well written. The trick is to keep it fresh, don't feel like you have to stick with the exact formula, and keep it going.

5. Joey

Joey Stunt Coordinator

A friend got me hooked onto Alias, and I have to admit that it gets so intense with so much being done each week - I never really did consider if they'd run out of stories to tell. I haven't seen yesterday's since I still have it taped. But yes, so much seems to have been revealed so quickly. I'm still hooked, though. [​IMG]
    Joey

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

7. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

I suspect the key to the whole question is how well the show runners have planned everything out. If they have a "five-year plan" (either literally or figuratively), I trust them to have the payoffs set up so that they are fair to the viewers and fair to the story. However, if they're making this up as they go along, they definitely run the risk of putting themselves in a corner where they risk alienating the audience by never resolving anything and breaking the story by resolving a central source of conflict.

8. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

This show is now my favorite, and the only one I MAKE time to watch. Others are good but none have that "run-away train with no brakes" feeling.

I love the cliffhangers each episode and I am constantly on the edge of my seat with waiting for the next episode. (I've got two kids - I don't get out much)

With the sliffhanger endings one thing is driving me wild - whats the season ender gonna be?? How bad will we want to come back next year? I know that if the show keeps going the same way I already have a spot on the couch reserved.

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Whether it's one season or five, I hope they end it properly with a resolution. It could be a resolution with an opening for a sequel, like in some movies, but not something completely open-ended. Worse yet, open-ended with a cliffhanger.
    I still don't know what happened when Jessica got shot or whether Bat Burt is going to survive at the end of SOAP [​IMG]
    //Ken
    PS: I'd rather have one good season than five mediocre ones.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

13. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

Can someone give me quick recap or analysis of the show? I have watched the last two and have no idea who is who. I may give up or try to catch in reruns.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

18. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

Um, her fiance was Daniel Hecht, not "Brian".

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I think its an awsome show but unfortunately I think it will die. The only reason being is that its on a Sunday night. Move it to a weekday (not friday!), maybe a monday or tuesday and I think it could do much much better. Move some of those crappy sitcoms to sunday.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer