Alias 9/29/02 Season Premiere

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I still marvel at how much plot gets tossed into each episode of Alias.

Tonight's season premiere did not disappoint in that department:

So what to speculate on in the coming episodes:

1. Will has to leave his newspaper job after being portrayed as a heroin junkie who was high when he wrote that SD-6 story. My guess is that Will might be a latent CIA spy down the road, but for now, I think he'll be helping Francie out with her new restaurant.

2. What is Syd's mom up to now that she's walked into the CIA offices and given herself up. Can she be trusted? Jack doesn't think so. Syd is torn.

3. Is Weiss dead? He appear to be shot in the neck, but we don't know.

4. Will Syd and Vaughn hook up or keep it professional?

5. Does Sloan really trust Jack and Syd? It appears that Dixon is beating himself up for not trusting Syd.

Anyhow, Lena Olin is a good choice to play Syd's mom, and she's brushed up on her American accent too.

2. Dan_Gtp

Dan_Gtp Extra

Definately a great show, always alot going on, and done very well at that. As for things to come, wow who knows eh:

1: I think he's already left the job, I believe he said so, eg he got a lot of "good luck man". So basically he's screwed out of any good reporting job as you say, everyone thinks he's a junkie.

2: Man, I cant see being able to trust her. No idea what they're gonna do there.

3: Hope not, I like that guy. I thought he was when Sydney came into the shrinks office crying and then says "have you heard?".

4: Looks like they're getting pretty close. Like any series they're probably gonna drag that out forever.

Cant wait for more!

3. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

1. Agree, though I still wish he was killed off 8 episodes ago.
    2. Can't be trusted. Syd's mom contiually let her go, but I don't trust her one bit. We all know she's "The Man."
    3. No way he's dead. He's a young guy and the collateral circulation from the L carotids and R/L vertebrals should keep him in good shape. Plus it's a tv show. [​IMG]
    4. Hook up. The Iceman is dead and Will is Will.
    5. Sloan doesn't trust himself, I think he needs to be ousted before SD6 dies. Dixon can't be this dumb of a guy can he?? How long until he reveals his K-dir roots? [​IMG]
    Good to see Joey Slotnick was most likely killed with by Jack last season.

The biggest spoiler came when the episode was leaked on usenet Sun morning.

4. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

Not sure how spoiled this stuff is, since it refers more to the finale of the last season, but...

Said Joseph S,
    Good to see Joey Slotnick was most likely killed with by Jack last season.

Didn't think there was any question about that at the time. I was just surprised that there weren't any ramifications for Jack doing so. I shouldn't think the CIA would be too happy about not getting a chance to interrogate him, at the least, and on top of that it's vigilante justice.

5. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

6. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

This was a nice start, although it seemed that many of the hanging threads of last season were wrapped up a bit too quickly for my taste.

As for Weiss, I think we would have heard about it if he died. I suspect since Greg Grunberg apparently is starring in his own series come mid-season that they are using this as way to reduce his episode load this season. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn next week that Weiss is alive but off the active duty list for a while to recover. Sort of like how the X-Files dealt with Gillian Anderson's pregnancy in the second season by having Scully abducted.

- Guy

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Arrgh, completely missed it, any chance of an ABC rebroadcast?

Jay

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You best hope is that the ABC Family channel re-broadcasts it sometime this week.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    AHA, thanks Patrick, I forgot about that. I think that's a fairly recent new channel on DishNetwork... Now to go find their website [​IMG]
    The problem is I was busy with relatives this past weekend and I hardly watch anything else on ABC so I must have missed all the promos and stuff if they had any..
    Jay

10. Jalil

Jalil Stunt Coordinator

Jay,

If you have the dish pvr, you can always use the search function and search for alias.

and yes i loved the show.. was a hard decision deciding between the sopranos and alias.. but then again sopranos gets replayed a ton, and alias doesn't.. so recorded west coast sopranos. and saw alias..

now to compare tony sopranos mom to syd's mom.. lol

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks Jalil, except that I'm at work and the PVR is at home.. [​IMG] I did check abcfamily's website and no luck, they don't seem to rebroadcast Alias although I am sure I have seen it on their guide on my 501 PVR. I will do a search tonight and see if I have better luck.
    Jay

12. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Great season opener, but I, too, thought that things were tied up a bit too neatly in some cases. I'd like to see Emily's death explored a bit more. We all know that Sloan poisoned her (at least that what we've been led to believe), but what rammifications remain, if any? What about the execution of Kazinov by Syd's mom (what's her first name, anyway?)? BTW, who else thinks that Lena Olin is a total babe?

I was a bit uncomfortable with Syd sharing all of that classified "mission-oriented" stuff with the shrink? How do we know she is cleared for all of that stuff?

And Dixon can't be that dumb. Why weren't there any more questions (from Dixon or Sloan) about what she was doing stealing the document from the SD-6 storage facility?

Maybe the ends weren't tied up as neatly as we've been led to believe after all.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ever since I saw "The Unbearable Lightness of Being", Lena Olin has been on my radar all these years.

14. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    There was a ton of plot in this episode. It seemed like a two hour show, rather than a one hour.

As far as the shrink, Sydney was ordered to speak with her. I'm sure she is cleared for any information.

I don't believe Sloan killed his wife. I think he faked it. We'll have to wait and see.

Will is screwed from ever having another reporting job. As soon as he tried, SD-6 would have him killed. So, it's new career time for Will.

I do believe Jack killed Slotnick. He was someone who "just needed killin!"

No way do I trust the mom. She got the "bible", and kept it from Syd. There was a reason for this. She could have easily given it to Syd to prove her desire to go straight. But, she kept it, and then walked in. She's up to something.

I love this show.

15. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Oh yeah, I forgot about Emily. I think she's still alive and that Sloane has managed to fake her death. Sloane's a cold bastard, but considering how hard he fought to keep her alive last season, I doubt that he would suddenly change his mind and kill her.

- Guy