Alias - 3/7/04 - Blowback

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Porter, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

After the series of endless breaks, Alias is back with at least 4 weeks straight of new episodes!

Tonight's episode may just answer the question posed in last week's preview Is Sloane Sydney's father?

I for one do not think so. After reading through some Alias forums elsewhere (And getting a little spoiled [​IMG] ) some big things are in store. Episode 18 in particular is said to be the best of the season (entitled Unveiled) though Jennifer Garner's favorite is Episode 19 "Hourglass" according to a new article posted over at Aint it Cool News. This season has been a let down thus far and I'm ready to get back to the glory days. I can't exactly define what's wrong but something is off. Perhaps it's the absence of Lena Olin or the self contained episodes we've been seeing more of recently (Crossings, Remnants). I still trust that the show will soon get it's groove back. J.J. Abrams himself said that the show is going to go through phases. I don't particularly like this phase so hopefully the next one will be more fulfilling.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

TV Tome lists at least six straight episodes. [​IMG]

3. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

WTF?! My local channel went to commmercial...HAHA. I thought they were playing the same scene again until they developed Lauren's phone call further. That was confusing. [​IMG]

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Aww...what a Disney ending. [​IMG]

Youcandoityoucandoityoucandoityoucandoityoucandoit youcandoityoucandoityoucandoityoucandoit...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Yeah, shoot her in the leg to make sure they don't run again. Vaughn's a dummy.

Wasn't all that crazy about the story told from the two points of view.

Now I guess we'll have to wait and see if DNA bears out Sloane's suspicions that he's Sydney's father.

Marshall on caffeine was funny.

6. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Wow that was unsatisfying. This season seems to be a season of moments. Like the moment when "Song #2" kicks in while Lauren and Sark pull a caper or the moment when SpyDaddy asks Sydney out to dinner or the moment where Marshall is hopped up on caffeine. Part of the problem I'm starting to identify this season has (besides the absence of Lena Olin) is the fact that too many episodes are self contained. They've seemed to tone down the serial aspect a lot. Instead of a smooth, flowing story throughout a season it's becoming the one where they are almost shot in North Korea or the one where it's from different perspectives. It feels like nothing's happening. I do however thouroughly enjoy the scenes with Judy and Arvin. Or at least I did until the part where Barnett walks into the restaurant apparently fresh off her moonlighting job as a 2 bit hooker. I still have faith and hope it's just a temporary, 3rd season thing and doesn't escalate into the downfall of Alias.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It did feel like watching Boomtown, no?

What was with the looks between Weiss and Lauren?

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Oh PLEASE don't make Weiss evil. He's one of the closest things to sanity on that show.

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Yeah, it was perfect when she said she was there for "professional" reasons [​IMG]

Great news that it's all new for the rest of the season!

Anyone else a bit annoyed by the whack-you-on-the-head Ford promotions? I thought it was funny last season with the Ford Focus zoom in and subsequent shout out, but calling an F150 by name? I suppose if it keeps the show on the air...The interesting thing is I drive a Ford Focus ZX5!

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Is Syd developing a mustache?

Is Lauren also turning into a mouth breather? Maybe its just the collagen.

If you saw your wife in a mask and the eyes were that close, would you recognize her?

The only thing I liked was when SpyDaddy turned on "Dr Barnut" [​IMG]

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, I've suspected it since Sloane swiped the Rambaldi artifacts; Weiss was in the best position to tell him where they were. I now wonder if he isn't perhaps working with Lauren, but is unaware of who she's working for.

12. Mike Soltis

Mike Soltis Stunt Coordinator

I thought the same thing, but I liked what they did with the two points of view thing. Nice to know I was right, thinking Lauren was in the car they were chasing. Now if they would have just nicked her when they were chasing her on the boat, to add some suspicion, but maybe that will come later.

I don't know about you guys, but I thought I would hate this season, starting with the whole 'missing 2 years' thing, but have been pleasantly surprised up to this point.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    We saw the edited version. In the original script, Syd says, "Quick! Get in the all-new 2004 Ford F-150 available with attractive financing options at a dealer near you."

This episode was strictly about marking time (and possibly saving money). The only two pieces of new information are that Sloane told the psychiatrist that he had an affair with Spymommy (which may be a lie) and that there is a covenant mole-hunt underway at CIA. I think the editors must have had lunch with Tarantino. The multiple perspective thing was mildly interesting, if somewhat gratuitous. It did allow them to make an episode with a lot of re-used footage without resorting to a clip show like S1.

After the car crash, which was pretty good, the most elaborate stunt of the episode was Sark and Lauren coming down from the ceiling. [​IMG] I must say, their exotic location footage of Vancouver looked pretty authentic to me. [​IMG]

Regards,

14. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Yeah, that was painful -- and dull. A true "multiple perspective" approach would have shown the same events from a different angle. A few shots did this, but most were just dupes. I was bored.

M.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Like I mentioned earlier, this episode was done in the "Boomtown" style, and for that, it was a worthy effort. Unfortunately, not much was resolved, and that's where serialized show like Alias diverges from an episodic (almost self-contained) show like Boomtown, and the resolution feels too open-ended and like too much repetition for viewers unaccustomed to the Boomtown style of storytelling.

16. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

They clearly made a 30min show and decided to repeat half of it to get to 45mins. Absolutely none of the "new" information on "day 2" came as a surprise. It was like Groundhog Day without the twist.

The hooker psychiatrist is a bit obviously evil, isn't she. It was almost "I'm not the Leader of the Covenant, but please tell me the rest of the Rambaldi message anyway, Sloane."

And I wish Lauren would get rid of that gumshield.

17. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

Why is she using one in the first place?

18. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I thought it was a fun filled episode with many funny moments. I was amused with the flip flop of having Lauren (in wig and make-up) and Sark as the evil versions of Sydney and Vaughn.

Early on I think I missed a bit of dialogue when Weiss is talking to Vaughn with Sydney and Lauren in the background. Weiss asks Vaughn if he's going to tell her. Is that what I heard? I was guessing maybe Vaughn is unhappy in the marraige? Must be something else though. I thought the way Weiss was looking at Lauren had more to do with lust then anything else.

19. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

big thumbs up for patricia wettig's wonderbra! :b

20. OliverT

OliverT Stunt Coordinator

Re-using a lot of footage without any surprises or twists - [​IMG] .

Did anyone not know or guess that Vaughn and Sydney were being opposed by Lauren and Sark? Come on.

OT