Alias 3/3/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I figure I'd get the party started for tonight's new episode of Alias(my apologies to Pink).

Too bad people will have to time shift either Alias, or X-Files or 6 Feet Under starting tonight. (But remember, 6FU will have repeats later in the week).

Be back around 10 p.m. EST. Come join us.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

It'll take me a bit longer. I'm doing 6FU in real time at 9pm, immediately followed by X-Files on TiVo, immediately followed by Alias on VCR. With commercials zapped, I should be done around 11:30.
    6FU is my wife's favorite show. Postponing the viewing of a new episode is not an option (where's the smiley for "yes, dear"?).
    M.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Holy smokes!

A recap:

Sidney saves herself from her strung up predicament from last week's episode by cutting her line and landing in the building across the street through some big windows, and easily fights her way out of there, with a little help from Dixon at the very end.

Francie is stuck sending all the wedding gifts back, with a tersely written note about how her former fiance was a womanizing jerk. Sidney commiserate with her.

Will Tippett is getting too close to SD-6, and Arvin wants him dead, but Jack uses scare tactics (threatened to kill his family and Sidney if Will went digging more into the story) to get Will to drop the story. Will is knocked out, and is awoken by a cell call by Sidney who has to cancel a previous engagement due to a dinner at Sloan's with his wife.

Will gets his hot assistant Jenny (who is a knock-out earlier in the episode wearing a tight white top after some post-coitus activity) to pick him up from the remote location where he was threatened. During the car ride back into town, Will breaks up with Jenny, which pisses her off and she tells him she doesn't work for him anymore, and she boots him out of her car, so Will's SOL again. When he tell the prisoner (Ken Olin) that he's out of he whole thing, Jack's assassin outside the prison puts away his gun, so Will can live another day, and Jack is relieved after listening to the bugged prison area where the prisoners talk to visitors.

Sidney and Dixon steal some Rimbaldi document that were coming by luxury boat, and Sidney photographs them for the CIA, but page 47 is the blank page that the CIA needs.

Vaughn has Sidney invite herself over to Sloans place by ingratiating herself with Sloan's cancer-ridden wife, and Sidney brings Will along (after he's been beat up by a masked Jack), and Jack is also at the dinner (the irony of the scene was funny). Vaughn gives Sidney a bug in the shape of a paperclip to slip into Sloan's office. And she's is supposed to steal page 47 from Sloan's vault since the whole manuscript is being shipping to Germany for further analysis (though Sloan tells Sidney that it's going to England - maybe to trap her in tipping her cards down the line). Sidney succeeds in both mission at Sloan's house, but she was almost caught by Sloan at the very last minute.

The CIA figure out what the ink that McKennis Cole wanted from the SD-6 vault, it's ink that makes the contents of blank pages become visible again. But it freaks out Vaughn, who shows page 47 to Sidney, and it's a drawing of a woman's face that looks just like Sidney.

Cue the credits

Okay, now to next week's preview teaser:

Roger Moore makes his appearance! Sidney doesn't think there's a link between her and the woman on the page 47 of the Rimbaldi manuscript. Either way, something going to give.

Musing/Ramblings:

Sidney is probably more intertwined in the Rimbaldi manuscript than anyone suspected (perhaps a direct descendant with some strange DNA to truly unlock the secrets of his manuscript, though the prophecy angle is what the writers want the viewers to chew on the most), and this is going to freak out Vaughn even more. I think Will will go back and start investigating SD-6, but do it more covertly than before. I have no idea how Roger Moore figures into everything.

4. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I enjoyed everything but the last 30 seconds. This show may also have had the freakiest music of the series, to date.

Regarding the ending:

This is the first Alias cliffhanger that has concerned me:

- Rumbaldi sketch that looks like Sydney? Prophecies? miracles? It's too X-Files in a non-X-Files show. I'm concerned.

- Roger Moore guest starring? He was the cheesy 007. I'm concerned.

I hope I'm worried about nothing.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

My thoughts...
    First off, if Will was going to be shot; it should be for dumping his assistant. Stupid bastard. [​IMG]
    This entire Rambaldi backstory has been stretching the bounds of credibililty for some time, but this latest development really broke the envelope for me. I guess to be fair, I need to wait and see how it plays out.
    It appears that some of the sketches in the book are from Da Vinci. The obvious duplication distanced me from the story. Sketches that were similar in style, but not so readily identifiable would have worked better.

Perhaps I'm taking it just a little too seriously. Alias is one of my favorite TV series currently running, but sometimes I wish they would tone down some of the over the top aspects of the series just a tad. Of course, I guess that is the point of the show. When was James Bond believable? [​IMG]
    - Walter.

7. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, you guys totally need to lighten up. If the show was supposed to be realistic Sidney would carry a gun.

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I agree. The show has gone from being a true spy show to some sort of spy/sci-fi show hybrid. Make it stop....

9. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I love this show. It is my favorite. The wife and I decided 6FT under will have repeats all week so we'll watch that show at another time.

I was tense for the whole show. I wish Will would get whacked. I can't stand that character. I thought it was a risky operation in Sloane's office, but they barely pulled it off.

So now what happens with K-directorate?

10. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

Has Sidney ever even fired a gun?

edge of the seat excitement in last nights ep. When Sidney was switching the pages

I didn't really mind the ending, at least give the writers sometime to explain. Don't forget Rambaldi (SP?) has been discribed as a visionary etc so maybe he could see the future and drew wha he saw(?)

Truely funny moment during dinner "So what stories are you working on?" - made me laugh.

11. Ty Zucker

Ty Zucker Stunt Coordinator

One point plot point that seems inconsistent to me is that on the one hand, Sloane was pretty protective of Sidney when SD-6 suspected her to be a double agent and she had to take the spiffy lie-detector test and yet he has no hesitation ordering Will's death knowing that this would be the second person close to Sidney who got popped by SD-6 and that this could put Sidney over the edge.

12. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

couple of things. Sloan views Sydney as his own daughter, so would be protective of her. But he knew that if she broke SD-6 secrecy he would have to have her killed. Will is doing just that, and Sloan has less loyalty to him(kind of one step removed from Sydney), so he doesn't hesitate at all when SD-6 is threatened.

I read somewhere that Roger Moore is the Head of SD-9, the british correlate of SD-6. Sloan asks for Moore's help to get the players(12 players- I forget their name) to agree to help him.

As for the believability of the whole angle, I personally think the whole show is really taking on a "Foucault's Pendulum" angle. Anyone read the novel? Lot's of similarities with the whole old prophecy, secret society, mysteries of the world kind of stuff. I actually think it's a lot of fun.

One thing I was wondering with this episode, and I'm sure it was quite deliberate, was- how long was Sloan standing there watching her? They purposely left it ambiguous.

And if Will keeps investigating SD-6, I suspect he will continue researching that CIA guy he's heard about. Eventually that will lead to Sloan's name- whom he had dinner with. He'll connect it back to Syd, and then the whole house will come crashing down.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Sloane's got to watch over everything, so if that means killing Will to maintain security, so be it. That Will is close to Sidney isn't as paramount to SD-6. I think both Sloane and Sidney would agree (though it might mean Sloane would have to have Sidney put down if she also went nuts over it, that's just playing hardball in the spy game).

So, no one cares that it was Amy Irving playing Sloane's wife? I think it's fun to see established actors/actresses show up (like when Batman and Robin would climb up a building and a weekly celeb would show up and look outside their window).

To be fair to Will, he broke up with Jenny to protect her from being a target to get to him (I don't think Jack knows about him and Jenny). Damn Jenny's fine.

14. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I got goosebumps over Sloane's facial expression when Syd steals page 47... how much did he see? does he think she's just curious to read it, after saying she doesn't believe in Rambaldi?

Hmm....

15. Bob Gallagher

I really enjoyed the tension of this episode. Specifically, in Sloane's office and the open question: What did Sloane see her doing, exactly? With regards to the spy/sci-fi thing: Did anyone read the Entertainment Weekly artice about the show? JJ Abrams (the creator/producer) said when he conceived the show, he liked spy, sci-fi, horror, action, etc. and wanted to put EVERYTHING into the mix. The article also draws the X-files comparisons noted earlier.

16. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

17. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

18. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

19. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Well, I'm done with the predictions. [​IMG] Out of all the many predicions I made, I got one right. Will survived.
    Very interesting episode and I'm looking forward to seeing the direction they take this week.

20. BobV

BobV Second Unit

The 'picture' could very well be Rimbaldi's wife and it turns out that Sidney is actually a descendant of Rimbaldi. Very often there is a great similiarity between people and their ancestors. I don't think that's so unbelievable.

I think it may turn out just as Patrick mentioned, or surmised, "perhaps a direct descendant with some strange DNA to truly unlock the secrets of his manuscript". That's exactly what we thought after the show ended.

About Sloan's office... I'm not sure if Sloan saw her either, but... when we are first shown Sloan's office he stands across from the safe and looks, rather strangely, into a big mirror. It is possible that Sloan has video surveillance behind a 1way mirror that looks across to the safe... no? I mean, the head of SD6 has no security whatsoever in his own abode? Hmm... don't think so. If there was anything that was not too 'believable' about the episode it was that, in my opinion. The picture kept with the rules of the series, in my opinion again.