What's new

Alias - 3/28/04 - The Frame (1 Viewer)

Doug R

Supporting Actor
I agree with some of you.. this season of Alias has definitely been the low point of the series. The plotlines are increasingly implausible. A daughter killing her own father...or at least about to when the WIFE steps in? Lauren thinks her "cause is just" ? (unless that was just a lie). Not to mention what someone else pointed out, Jack is now convinced it wasn't Lauren yet his first indication was something she said which still rings true even after all his findings and the suicide.

I still enjoy the show for its frenetic pace and good characters but its getting harder to suspend belief in a show that should at least have some.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, that's more interesting than her working for Cobra The Covenent because she's just eeeeeeevil, isn't it? Lord knows they've got to do something to make the story with Lauren working for the bad guys interesting. Wouldn't it be a kick if Cobra Commander Sloane whoever recruited her had actually played that card, perhaps implying that Rimbaldi's devices would lead to a cheap energy or food source, but that the world's governments would suppress them.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I wouldn't say that was "iron-clad." She repeated something I have said myself and which I've heard many times from others.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Now that I think about it some more, I think Jack wanted Lauren to know he was snooping on her, and his suspicions were borne out as Lauren started to make some bold moves. Now, we don't know if Jack knows of Vaughn wanting to break up with Lauren (which is what also part of the reason Sark used to convince Lauren to kill her father to elicit sympathy to keep her close to Vaughn). What's interesting that that this move might have also flushed out Lauren's mom for Jack, so that was a bonus.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Wasn't Rambaldi a fictional 16th Century character. If so it is interesting to know that he had a method of drawing an accurate aerial map of the ocean floor. Heck, the sextant wasn't even invented until 1757.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Another annoyance is how pisspoor everyone guards important stuff.

With the Covenant's resources, they should be able to fund some lackeys to guard crystals, plasma bombs, plans, and whatever else they dont want falling into Sydney's hands.

I still can't stop watching, however. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I know. I love that. They have the highest security in the world, but nobody in the rooms to guard the stuff. I love it. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I'd agree with you if she'd said "Not if I see you first". But she said "Not if I see you first, Love", which I've never heard before apart from those two times in Alias.

But even if Jack is playing it cool that's still a major shift in his character.

What bugs me the most about Alias is how the CIA/Covenant agents always get somewhere within an hour of each other, no matter how remote the location.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Well, they can have different security, but go back to how the show used to be, where Sydney was forced to use skills to outsmart the guards or disarm them before getting the item.

Remember when a heist would take like 5-10 minutes? Now it's like "We need to obtain _______(insert random item of Rambaldi) from ______(insert location) immediately." **Cut to Sydney/Vaughn retrieving the object** **small shoot-out** **Back home**

The whole process takes like 5 minutes... it's less entertaining, me thinks...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm not sure that I agree that Jack playing it cool about something is out of character.

As for the lack of guards, I was pretty puzzled in the previous episode where they had the really bad CGI sequence where Sydney does the 3-d laser limbo. It would have been more entertaining, more realistic, and probably cheaper to produce if they had her outwit some human guards/scientists (i.e. "redshirts") performing the tests rather than do that silly CGI dance routine.

Regards,

David C Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I just had a thought about Lauren... what if Lauren is a triple agent and not just a double agent? Maybe she's working very deep under cover for NSC or whatever and was pretending to work for The Covenant. So none of the people in CIA know about her working for the good guys. Maybe she's doing it to gain complete trust of The Covenant to do some serious damage. Maybe at first Jack thought she was a double agent but backed off when he realized she could be a triple agent.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's completely in character. Then, when he knows the whole deal, he dispatches the problem with ruthless efficiency.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
re: Jack's behavior.

There was a very quick scene that was treated like a throw away. Jack walks into the CIA facility and I cannot remember if it was before or after Peggy Lipton kills her husband, and says to Dixon very loudly and seemingly without care to privacy that "it was done" or words to that effect. Meaning he and Dixon set up a trap to catch Lauren. So I agree that Jack is up to something, assuming I recall that sequence correctly. Please correct my faulty recollection if needed!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Or perhaps a quadruple agent, because somehow the Alliance is still alive? :)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

"Love" is a term of endearment like "Honey" or "Dear." At least in the American depiction of Brits that gets thrown about a lot too. That still fails to make anything "iron clad." It's a clue, a tickling of the brain, nothing more.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
All My Rambaldis.... "Da Da, da da, da da da da da"
1. Isn't rambaldi supposed to be alive?
2. When is Sloane going to drop the other shoe? (Peace my foot)

Rob T

Screenwriter

It was sort of before, but pretty much concurrently with the senator being killed.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I originally said "iron clad indication", which may be oxymoronic (hope that's a word) - but hearing such an odd phrase spoken by two people within a few hours is damned suspicious if you ask me. Of course, if an American audience thinks that phrase with that endearment is commonly used by Brits with that accent, I can see why you would defend the scriptwriters on that point. :)

And off the top of my head, I can't think of a previous scenario where Jack plays it cool and bides his time when Syd's life is in danger - ergo it's out-of-character. IMHO. And if Jack was planning something with Dixon, why would he later not voice his suspicions to Dixon about the senator's death, presuming he had any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks