What's new

Alias - 3/28/04 - The Frame (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Alias Season 3 has been thought to be the season that has Alias stuck in the mud. Apparently next week's "Unveiled" is going to change all of that and this is the last of "one of those episodes" that we have to endure. Let's recap what happened in each of the past couple of episodes that has actually progressed the story.

Full Disclosure:
-We find out what happened to Sydney during her missing two years and how it connects to the Rambaldi prophecy.
-Lauren is evil.

Crossings:
-Irina has a sister (A stinkin' awesome one at that) and that
-Vaughn loves Sydney as much as she loves him and they kiss

After Six:
-Sark and Lauren head up the new North American Covenant cell
-Barnett has her first meeting with Sloane.

Blowback:
-Sloane had an affair with Irina and Sydney might be his daughter
-Sark and Lauren are a couple.

Facade:
-Sloane and Barnett are a couple.

Taken:
-Sark has possession of a Rambaldi artifact that has Mom's name on it
-Jack finds out that Lauren is evil.
-Sloane is in CIA custody (though soon to be let out due to Jack's awesome deductive powers)

I still don't know what to think of this season. Not a lot has happened. Does anyone else feel like this is just going to be considered the low point of series? Or does this season mark downfall of the entire show? I hope it's #1 because with Aaron Sorkin gone from The West Wing, Alias is pretty much the only show on television now worth watching.

Oh, and if you want to be absolutely knocked over the head with one of the biggest twists of the series, don't read any recent articles concerning the show, as most all of them give it away. Wow. I can't wait for it.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
"I guess we won't be getting that cup of coffee."

Unintentionally funny moment.

Evil, evil, evil.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Damn, Lauren's mom is more cold-blooded than Lauren. And Sark is cold-blooded as hell as well.

Damn, "Sydney and Vaughn" won't be happening for a while as Lauren is going to milk her father's sudden "death" for all it's worth.

I was surprised that Jack got caught in his snooping. Sloppy.

Sloane's glasses need to go. They make him look goofy.

Mike Soltis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

Another couple episodes like tonight's and I will have to agree with this one.

Biggest complaint: With all the technology they have, they don't have a radio which can communicate in a CAVE? At least on Star Trek, they would explain it with some kind of mineral deposit in the cave walls which blocked the signal....

I don't know, I spent the last few minutes of the episode saying "No, no, no, no, no"

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Well here's the highlights of tonight's pleasantries

-Lauren and her mother kill her father and get away with it
-Vaughn and Sydney teeter on the edge of getting back together only to go back to square one.
-Sloane's about to be executed
-A terrorist now has control of a major bio-toxic weapon

Same here. I'm sorry but if Sloane dies, the show dies with him. And I agree that Jack was way unrealistically sloppy. The writers are really going in circles and I'm getting bored.

Did anyone else burst out laughing at Marshall's comments about Sloane being a genius?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
At the very least, they should have had *backup* for the cave.

This is just something else that he'll get out of. He's not going to die. I'll bet my life on it. :)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I believe that, like season 7 of Buffy, this season will have great replay on DVD... but the actual watching of it gets boring...

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

Agreed. Cringeworthy indeed. The writing on Alias has declined as of lately from being pretty good to good to servicable to occasionally laughable. I suppose we can't walk in every night expecting Sports Night but in all honesty I think I could write the show better. Another cringe inducing element of the episode were the obvious CG underwater shots. If any member of the crew reads these things: Hey guys! All those CG shots are unnecessary and distracting and your action sequences would benefit without.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Was Jack sloppy? Lauren said her secret software caught him. Or are you saying Jack should have known that?

Peggy Lipton still looks good.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I wouldnt compare this season to the mess of Buffy season 7.
I am still entertained and enjoy the show a lot.
I am not sure what everyone is looking for, a big payoff every week?

The only thing that bugged me is that Jack didnt cover his tracks and Lauren found him out so soon but still an otherwise entertaining episode.
Peggy Liptons character surprised me. I didnt see that coming.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Interesting thought: Tonight we learned the passenger is some kind of biological weapon and Djimon Honsou called it "Irina's legacy". We learned in season two that the circumference device from the season one finale contained some kind of virus and that Irina delibrately tested it on some of her men. I'd call that further evidence that Irina is really behind the covenant.

Say whatever happened to that "Magnific Order of Rambaldi" we heard about from the clockmaker in S1? The is their symbol and they were supposed to be dedicated to the assembly and recovery of Rambaldi's works. Incidentally a tatoo of that symbol was seen on the hand of Syd's K-directorate archnemesis Anna Espinoza in the S1 ep "Parity". As far as I know Anna is still alive and well somewhere in the Alias-verse...

- Guy

PS
Of course the actress who played Anna, Gina Torres, is currently occupied with the Firefly movie.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't so much comparing it to Buffy season 7 in that it was bad... just that compared to past seasons of each show, the episodes had more going on.

Alias season 3 is a small step down from the first 2 seasons, but it's not horrible. As of now I'd put it just below season 2, and there's still a few episodes for it to pull back.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
That was a wretched, wretched episode. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

First off, who replaced Jack with a bumbling idiot?

The clue he picked up on last week was an iron-clad indication that Lauren knew Sark, and was probably intimate with Sark. She obviously knew who Sark was - Jack should be well aware they'd met before. How can a travel itinerary on her father's orders explain that?

Second, the "suicide". "No reason to believe it wasn't"?! OMG. So, there were powder burns on the senator's hand? And the bullet wound was consistent with a shot fired to the temple, as opposed to, say, a few feet away? This is basic detective work that Jack should have checked up on.

And then there's all that silly stuff about Jack leaving a trail, and Lauren picking up on it immediately and finding out he was responsible, and Jack not asking the techie to tell him if she enquired about his snooping. Isn't Jack supposed to be quite good at espionage?

And don't get me started on Jack's "courtesy call" to the senator. Is this the same Jack that used to kill/torture anyone whose actions in any way threatened Sydney? I'd have expected him at the least to lay a misinformation trap for her, dose her up with sodium pentathol, or something other than sitting around leaving paper trails and getting people's permissions to do things.

BTW, just how many evil wives can they cram into this show?

Poor Sloane. The CIA, and Sydney, always follow the Covenant's breadcrumbs and jump to the wrong conclusions. This show used to so very much better than this. Suspension of disbelief has gone right out of the window. It's not Buffy season 7 yet, but it's getting close. Grr. Arg.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I am 99% sure that Jack is disatisfied with all of the explanations w.r.t. Lauren, but is not showing his hand. If it plays out any differently, then he is, indeed, an idiot.

Regards,

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I like the bangs on Sydney, makes her looks much hotter than the business-as-usual CIA 'doo she's usually wearing.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I had a suspicion. She just seemed really smarmy when she was talking to Jack.

I'm a little miffed to wait two weeks for the next ep. Damn you Ten Commandments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks