Alias - 3/21/04 - Taken

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Porter, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Alias is on tonight...I've got nothing.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Muhahahaha! Spy Daddy's finally made the connection to Lauren! Can't wait to see what Spy Daddy does with the give-away.

3. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

how'd he know it was her?

4. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Anyone see the preview for next week's show? "Oscar winner" Djimon Hounsou guest stars. [​IMG]

5. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Oh c'mon, you couldn't make the connection? He realized it at the end of the show, and the last line spoken in the episode was, "Not if I see you first, love."

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Because Marshall had extracted from the plane's flight recorder the bits of the call that Sark made on the plane before he jumped. The call ended the same way Lauren was saying her goodbyes to Vaughn.

7. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Oh right, my mom and I were talking over that part earlier, so I didn't make the connection with the dialogue. I was like "Was that spoken earlier!?"

8. Matt Goddard

Matt Goddard Stunt Coordinator

Unless I blinked and missed it, we went from learning Dr. Barnett's computer account accessed the FAA flight info from Zurich to Sloane being arrested. Didn't we skip some steps there? It would have been interesting to see Barnett being interrogated by Jack.

Also, did we ever learn how Dixon's kids were kidnapped? I don't think we did other than they never made it to school. I don't believe we ever heard anything about the carpool driver being murdered, etc.

As an X-Files fan, it was nice seeing Senator Matheson staying in Washington as Senator Reed. Just last night I saw the Senator serving as Vice President on Sudden Death w/Jean-Claude Van Damme. He's a career politician.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think it's implied that the kids were abducted right after the SUV picks them up and it is not a stretch to assume that Sark had his men do the extraction easily enough.

I almost wished the writers would have introduced a sound effect like a car screech (as you'd hear on "Scrubs") when Jack made the connection that Lauren was the mole. [​IMG]

10. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Up until now, has Barnett done anything wrong in the eyes of the CIA? Sloane's the person under watch, of course they were going to go after him.

11. Thomas H G

Thomas H G Screenwriter

Enjoyed the show. I could of sworn I saw a light bulb right above Jack's head at the end.

I still miss how there used to be cliff hanger at the end of the show.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

We saw Marshall trace the internet connection through which Barnett's account was used back to Omnifam in Zurich, which is Sloane's organization. (Of course, the audience knows it's false information.)

M.

13. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Victor Garber did that last little "WHAAAA?!!" perfectly. The CG effects were a bit obvious this week but a rock solid episode nonetheless. They still need a few more to wash the taste of Blowback out of my mouth. Sheesh.

And may I just say that Alias has one of the finest scores I've ever heard for a television show. Brilliant. I love how it's all done with live orchestra (No painfully obvious synths here) except when some techno pulses are called for. Michael Giacchino has developed some great, memorable motifs (or themes if you will) for the characters. For instance, Sydney gets the box and looks at the inscription "Irina" and you can hear her theme from season 2 briefly! So cool! Another instance is when Dixon and Syd are in the hospital talking about Rambaldi, you hear a bit of his theme. You'd be hard pressed to find any other television show score that includes specific themes for specific characters. Absolutely genius television score.

Another little thought, we all know Sloane's aliby for what The Telling did. The word peace. Well I was reading somewhere the other day (devil in the details I know) that the name Irina is another language for the word "peace". Hmmm...

* = denotes sarcasm

14. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Alias never has good CGIs... I cringe anytime I see an airplane in motion or an explosion. Their action sequences are top notch but I can't figure out why they can't find a good CG shop.

15. Evan Lee

Evan Lee Stunt Coordinator

They can find one but I bet it would raise production costs beyond the comfort level of a bean counter somewhere. I am used to the bad CGI, and would rather they use the money to get SPY MOMMY back.

16. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I thought the episode was, overall, pretty choppy and not very smooth. I give the show a lot of benefit of the doubt, but last night's was too much, even for me.

Agree that I thought it was wierd (and that they left out showing us the steps of latching onto Sloane instead of Barnett) that they went from Barnett calling to arresting Sloane.

And I'll sing my same old tired song again: some characters need to die, or get maimed, or something. There was NO tension for me last night - I had no doubt that Dixon's kids would come back (relatively) unharmed, that Sark would get away with it, etc.

Having bitched about all that, I will say the episode's strength was in its little moments - this was a great episode for a few of the supporting characters. It was nice that we had show where Dixon had more to do than just hand out assignments; the more Jack, the better; and even Sloane had some cool moments. Was it just me, or did anyone else get the impression that Sloane was oozing parental proudness when Syd was talking Dixon down from shooting him? Icky and well done.

When Jack heard Lauren at the end of the episode and he realized she was not a good guy, I did yell at the TV "About ****ing time!"

Looking forward to next week.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nice booty shot.

Marshall now might start doubting his sleuthing skills if he thinks he's just following the bread crumbs left by the Covenant for him to find/follow.

18. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Good episode. And I agree, about frickin time someone figured out that Lauren is a double.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the lovely doctor may end up being a baddy, as well. Otherwise, how did Lauren get her log-in? (And why does a psychiatrist have access to the flight information on Sark??)

Lastly, I realized last night that Sloan has not done one thing "wrong" since the two year gap. Everything he has done has been for the good. Granted, he's done things his own way a couple of times, but they have always been to help, and not hinder. Could his transformation be legit??? Or could the fact that Lauren brokered his deal mean he's just been waiting for the opportunity to get back in power?

19. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

I thought the covenant was in the SUV that picked up the kids from the beginning.

20. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I definitely thought Jack's reaction to the last line by Lauren was the best part of the show. And the name on the box that Syd retrieves was interesting.

Now OT, regarding those who hated the blatant Ford in your faces shots from past shows, I thought this show was a show case for Cadillac, their new SUV that Dixon drove, the VW version of the Porsche Cayenne that picks up Dixon's kids and Sark's Mercedes. Of course these were more subtle shots of the cars, but I couldn't help but see the logos flashed. And I didn't mind.

Anyone else sort of feel like the scene with Syd driving the dune buggy felt like Star Trek Nemesis a little? Maybe just me.:b