What's new

Alias 3/17/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good show, though filled with a lot of footage from past episodes.
For a show that goes through a huge recap of Sidney's recruitment into SD-6 and subsequently the CIA, it found a way to push the plot along.
I knew where they were going with the show as soon as Sidney's mom was brought up and Sidney's interviewer never pressed for how her mom died. So having Sidney relive her mom's "accident" has led us to the likelihood of Sidney's mom being alive.
Can't wait for episode! :)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
I think it's time for the head of the FBI to resign. How can Joey Slotnick know such crucial information to our protection and the handling of Sidney??? Then in the aftermath, his agents failed to even search the water for Sidney. That is inexcusable, especially when Sid's mother pulled the same trick. ;)
Once again, this wait blows because I have exams again three weeks from Monday. I'll be waiting a month anxiously to find out who plays her mother.

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
It blows the way the preview for the next new ep was composed entirely out of clips from previous episodes.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
You know, I really like ALIAS, but this waiting 2 weeks here and 3 weeks there for a new episode is really get old fast.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
It blows the way the preview for the next new ep was composed entirely out of clips from previous episodes.
The one for The Practice was even worse. They just spit out the same line. "___ need(s) a vacation, stay tuned for an all new episode in 3 weeks." There weren't even old clips to go along with it. Oh, well...

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I thought that this episode would be a good one for the beginning of a new season, to re-cap everything. Maybe they think they needed to get new viewers up to speed. But I thought it was a bit slow with the old clips.

I believe the waiting a couple weeks for new episodes is due to the academy awards being on next week, although I'm not sure what is going on the week after that.

Sydney's mom being alive still makes things interesting now. I do like the spy vs spy thing.

David Paymer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Paymer
Clip show. Disappointing. I actually flipped to the X-Files several times because it seemed interesting by comparison.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
In the back of my mind, I've always allowed for Sidney's mom to be alive (spies never die, they just disappear and re-appear different identities). In the early photos, Sidney's mom appeared to be a hottie, but almost 20 years later, who knows.
I have noticed in the writing that they seem to, in a ham-fisted way, drive home the "obvious" outcome in trying to pull the rug out from under the audience. It's effective once or twice, but not in a season long arc. So, it's becoming easier to see where things are going, but I still find it compelling TV to watch. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the clips from the past a good thing. I have seen the series from the begining. I did miss the middle of one show when she found the Rambaldi book in the cave. So the clips helped me there.

As I said, I've been a loyal viewer but so much goes on that it was helpful. I now understand the 12 groups thing, SD-6 being one of the 12. And Roger Moore was head of English branch.

I wished Sydney's Dad roughed up the ex-FBI kiss up more though!

Nelson

Ty Zucker

Stunt Coordinator
Best line of the show - Jack to the FBI kissup: "If you tell anyone about this conversation, you'll never wear a hat again."

*cackle*

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
This episode really answered a lot of questions. Mainly, what does SD-6 really want? I liked it a lot.

As far a mother goes, I think that was obvious for a while. Can't wait for the new shows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Though disappointed that it was mostly a recap episode, especially after expected a prologue episode, I'm pleased they still introduced some new material. And for me, this was the biggest cliff-hanger / plot-twist yet! Color me blind, but I didn't see this comiing at all!
A gripe: What happened to the original music? The Smashmouth song over one of the flashback scenes was flat in comparison to the funky techno music from earlier episodes. And this seems to be a recurring thing. :frowning:
Then in the aftermath, his agents failed to even search the water for Sidney.
I was wondering how long would they have waited to bring the divers in, to find the body?

Don Black

Screenwriter
I liked the recap. It helped clarify things for me. On a side note, was the tire scenario realistic? Could someone really breathe the air from a tire under water?

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
It probably wouldn't taste good. When I was younger I used to breath under water for long periods of time in our family spa by sucking air from the bubble holes.

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, how's this for a thought?...

Sidney is going to play her mom in future episode(s) because it has something to do with Rambaldi and a "fountain of youth"...

Wasn't there some reference in an earlier episode about the guy she met in Italy (?) with the clocks? Something about him being way older than he looked?

Oh well, just a wild assed thought about her mom not having aged...

Paul P

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Marc-- good thought. I think the old man was supposed to have been a relative. It's a little fuzzy now, but I remember her asking him something, and he responded "he never told me," referring to Rambaldi.

The mother thing totally caught me by surprise. I was worried they were going to go the separated twin sister route(same DNA, and in general physical body). Thank god they didn't.

As for the agents, I was under the impression they were just cops with an APB on Sydney. But even if they were FBI agents, it would take them a while to mobilize a diving unit, and by that point syd was probably long gone-- she said she waited 10 minutes before starting to swim-- i.e. she didn't just resurface, but swam away.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
My thoughts:

I think the old man was actually supposed to be Rambaldi himself...

As for the cops not jumping in, it was completely understandable to me. The call probably went out that Sidney was a fugitive who was considered armed and dangerous. So, they simply stood on the dock making sure that if she surfaced, she didn't get away...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks