Alias 3/10/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'd call this a "breather" episode, but there was so much packed into it.

It was pretty cool to hear Roger Moore's voice engaged in the world of spies, I swear I even heard some of the James Bond theme when he first showed up. Quite the double-cross he put on Arvin, who's seriously going to get more and more pissed about the detente with Kasanov and the Alliance.

Sidney's getting tested for being the Prophecy was a bit X-File-like. Having Lindsay Crouse play the wacky DSR lead was cool, I half-way expected Riley Finn (Buffy) to show up.

Stephen (Joey Slotnick) is one I'd like to slap around, what a promotion hound he is.

Emily Sloane seemed to let on that she knows what Arvin does. It was all in her eyes.

The whole Will and Francee thing was a little out of the blue, but as long as it keep them off Sidney's back, I guess that's good.

The Vatican break-in (okay, had to roll my eyes on this one) was a bit far-fetched, but when you gotta know, ya gotta know.

Next week even looks more interesting (How do they keep us on the edge of our seats).

2. Adnan Sheikh

Adnan Sheikh Stunt Coordinator

Hehe, I thought it was pretty funny seeing Professor Walsh back on television. Similar role, too (government worker dealing with 'fringe science').
    The Vatican break in was hilarious, but I agree, it was a bit over the top [​IMG].

3. Ty Zucker

Ty Zucker Stunt Coordinator

My random thoughts:

When Emily was talking with Sidney, I said to my wife, "You think she really does know?" My wife's response was, then the last episode with them at dinner was BS.

My thought is that if Emily really *does* know about what Arvin does and what Sidney does, then she's just as cold as Arvin for talking with Wil at dinner about his story with the obvious SD-6/Sidney overtones.

The look on Sloane's face when he realized he was double-crossed was priceless. He's majorly pissed now - heh.

Let's just refer to Stephen as "Buttkisser Boy"?

Jack's starting to get pretty protective of Sidney, eh?

Sidney telling that guy if you don't move, I'll move you was great. The previews for next week seem to hint at more of that same attitude.

And finally, is it just me or does it seem rather odd that the DSR folks were able to pull rank on the CIA and one of their double-agents?

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Joey Slotnick,err I mean his character, should be assassinated immediately. He is a threat to the CIA. [​IMG]

How is it that Rambaldi even knew what DNA was let alone name specific markers some 500 years ago??? He could have won a nobel prize or two for his work. And heart size?? If that isn't a Miss Cleo cop out. I forget what the other item was, but at least by the lack of blood in the spinal tap we know Sidney doesn't have a cerebral bleed so she's doing OK.

If she could get past the lie detector test and catch her leg on a wooden ladder while falling down a well, she will surely find her way out of this one. It looks like all CIA members with exception of Joey are behind Sid.
    I think they're out for some record at 4 shows in 4 weeks. We might not see it again until the October. [​IMG]

5. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

My friend who doesn't watcht the show very often was watching it with me tonight.
    While we were watching I was telling him that every week Sydney flies to some other country, puts on a disguise, steals something with some gadget, gets caught, kicks the person who caught her and then it's back to LA.
    As soon as I said this they had the Vatican scene. [​IMG]
    I don't like the direction this is going.

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Unhid spoilers ahead; read at your own risk [​IMG]
    As I said about the previous week's episode, I'm concerned about the X-files-esque aspects Alias is taking on. Since you can't beat the X-files at its own game, don't try.
    Also, this episode strayed from formula quite a bit.
    - The music was substantially different in places, especially the guitar-rock used in the Vatican heist (the regular techno works better)
    - The heist was shorter and less engaging that usual
    - It wasn't as tight, overall. Normally there is a distinct goal in each episode, which leads to partial resolution and a new problem. This episode didn't have the clear goal, and nothing was resolved; the problems only compounded.
    But I really did like:
    - Sloane totally getting played
    - Sloane being developed further, revealing a more complex character
    - Emily
    - Roger Moore (I was concerned initially, but it worked well)

7. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

What, no mention of the "homage" to the X-files Cigarette Smoking Man?.... Mulder and Scully never had that kind of government power though, they ususally got laughed at by other government members.

I'd have to think Sloane is off his game a bit due to his wife's illness. He should have seen the double-cross coming a mile away and he didn't even give his friend chance to explain himself.... Cool, to see "Bond" to be the bad guy..... One other thing, why didn't Sloane vote at the Alliance meeting? Was it because he was the one who was wronged (SD-6 was attacked by the Man)

8. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

I thought that I kinda heard the 007 music too, just played at a different tempo.

"Move or I'll move you" I was SO hoping that she would have to follow through with that.

I thought it was another great episode but the Vatican scene could have been played out a little longer.

Anybody catch what the prophecy was exactly?

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think the prophecy was that this "woman" would be able to create destructive havoc upon the earth if she's not stopped.

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

11. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

But he wasn't even sitting at the table. I don't think Sloan may technically be part of the alliance-- i.e. part of the 12- there was some cooler name for them before- like the 12 horsemen or something. Anyway--

The Vatican scene was a total first date. And it looked like they hit it off. Essentially they can't really date, but they need some way for them to progress in their relationship. Being partners in crime is a great way to do it.

The DNA and platelet counts were ridiculous. Ok, cell phone, sure. But how could he describe a DNA sequence when cellular biology didn't even exist then, let alone molecular? The nucleotide sequence would be undescribable. They could have come up with so many better hidden physical signs that he would have understood-- or even better-- make the signs not physical, but instead aspects of her life. Anyways, Maggie Walsh was great, though a little over the top.

I think maybe Emily Sloan doesn't know, but she suspects. Perhaps in her final days, Sloan will confess it to her. She'll flip out and maybe call up Will. Putting him back on the case.

The prophecy was totally vague and totally cryptic. That bugged the hell out of me.

The DSR seemed to get authority in the CIA through the senatorial subcommittee. Only purpose for that scene.

Overall a good episode, with only a few flaws. I couldn't believe they actually had me feeling sorry for Sloan. I smelled a double cross early. Funny that he didn't. Maybe they will be able to keep the momentum up for more than a season.

12. BrettK

BrettK Agent

13. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

14. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

The Prophesy:

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave

16. OliverT

OliverT Stunt Coordinator

I don't think Sloan had to vote since he was the one sponsoring the vote. He was in the 'for' column by default.

OT

17. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

Dave-
    reading back over it, man that was a clear prophecy. Thanks for pointing it out [​IMG]

18. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

OK guys, where is the summary for this last weeks show. My local affiliate thought it was important enough to show the ou sooner basketball team arriving in OKC after their basketball tournament. I missed everything after 8:20.

Please help.

19. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer