Alias 2/10/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

A rather satisfying conclusion to the 2-part McKennis Cole saga comes to an end, with plenty of more questions to be answered.
    Tarantino was cracking me up with his remarks, but it's good that Cole got the butt-whupping in the end by Sidney.
    I thought the disarming of the C-4 was a little on the cheesy side.
    Too bad that British agent got waxed by Cole after Sloane pushed him too hard while getting needles poked into his neck.
    We now know that Dixon totally believes that SD-6 is affiliated with CIA.
    That whole "take my right index finger" was a bit gory for a Sunday evening show. [​IMG] I saw Marshall's little joke coming from a mile away.
    I'm going to have to freeze frame the tape to see what the deal was with the autopsy photo...okay...I didn't see anything that would give us any clues to the significance of the woman's death.

2. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Great episode. Its felt like so long since I'd had my Alias fix...I was extremly happy when TiVo made me aware tonights episode was new.

Slone definitly gets the "beast of the night" award. He took those needles like a champ, got Cole to shoot his girl, and even gave up his finger.

The SIS agent was an interesting twist, we'll probably see more of them now, as SD-6 tries to track down who 'the man' is.

It was nice to see Sydney get her butt kicked by someone who was trained the same as her. Some of Tarintino's lines were pretty funny too.

Vaughn -vs- the Boston Public Guy (sorry, I dont remember his characters name on Alias) is a nice new angle, nice to see a little friction between them within the CIA. Maybe that guy will be getting in a little trouble next time for being a dick. Pretty gutsy of Vaughn to enter SD-6 so quickly. Lets just hope he got out without leaving anything incriminating behind.

Finally, anyone have speculation as to what the perfume is/does? I honestly have no idea, it could probably be anything.

Overall, one of the best epsidoes of the season, IMO.

JQ

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Hear! hear! A very fun and suspenseful episode.
    I particularly enjoyed
    Dear Person who is beating up my men. ... I am waiting in what I take to be be Sloan's minimally decorated office
    [​IMG]
    as well as
    Sloan's head mind-games with Cole
    A question: Did I understand correctly that
    the needles from "The Box" were just needles with no toxin? That is, Cole experienced such torture from them was from psychological terror more than physical pain? Sloan, however, faked the pain, realizing what was going on?
    I also liked the ending
    A calm ending. A sweet irony, relaxing after saving the place Sidney has vowed to destroy.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

So did anyone else notice the name of the ship prominently displayed when our intrepid reporter goes to open the locker? Another reference in the same vein as "McTiernan" on the side of Cole's van.

M.

5. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Michael,
    I recognized the name of the ship, but didn't put 2 and 2 together until just now. Thanks! [​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

I missed the name of the ship. What was it? McClane?

Alias looks pretty nice in HD. Not the best around, but nice. Disclaimer: I don't have a 720p display so I am watching in 540p.

7. Michael Reuben

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Top episode this evening.
    Tarantino had some good lines, I particularly enjoyed the entire 'pigtails' anecdote and the 'backwash' line.

Also, very nice use of Fleetwood Mac's Songbird ( as sung by Christine McVie ) at the conclusion of the episode.
    Dave - Based on the first episode and Cole's dialog with Sloan, I thought that the contents of 'the box' were treated with some type of chemical. Or maybe Cole was just messing with Sloan's mind?
    - Walter.

9. Jon Mercer

Jon Mercer Second Unit

First off
    I still think Dixon is part of K-directorite - either he was pushing Sidneys Dad to say that SD-6 is not part of the CIA or K-directorite doesn't know.
    Thought it was another great episode
    Boy, Sloane sure seems to handle pain well.
    I'm wondering if Sidney's last comment to Cole about being able to take a punch is going to lead her to training in a different martial arts style.
    I have no idea what the "perfume" is even though it seems like Sloane was the only person other than "the man" who knew it was there. Coles knowledge of it seems a little on the informed side cause he knew exactly where it was - weather or not he knew what is another question.
    My guess right now is a bio-weapon of sorts or the caramilk secret.[​IMG]

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

It's probably just some love potion that Cole needs to score with the women. [​IMG]

11. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Anybody else notice a big error in Alias?

SD-6 is located in Los Angeles. Langley is in Virginia.

How was Vaughn able to quickly check out what was happening over at SD-6?

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Maybe there's a LA office of CIA where all of those guy work out of (that was my understanding).

13. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Except we've seen Sidney actually go to the Virginia building to meet Vaughn (with its distinctive CIA seal on the floor).

Also in this episode we saw Vaughn talk to a director of some sort: This was the same guy Vaughn rushed to get a signature from in a previous episode. My impression was that he was the boss of the entire CIA, not just an LA branch. Not to mention that the guy asking for immunity for his family wouldn't be satisfied by just a branch head's signature either I wouldn't think... or even know his name. He seemed to want the top guy's sig.

14. Michael Reuben

I don't believe we've ever seen Sidney enter the building in Langley (the exterior is used in Patriot Games). What makes you think the main office is the only one with the seal on the floor? The office where Vaughan works is, and always has been, in L.A.
    M.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Did anyone else find that whole scene with the "pigtails and champaign" speech a bit creepy?

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Oops, nevermind.

I was going to point out that Langley probably doesn't have a monopoly on floor seals, but someone else already got to it...

17. Paul P

Paul P Stunt Coordinator

Plus the mention(I don't know how it was phrased) that the e-mail was routed through to them from the general server.

18. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Walter- you suggested
    Based on the first episode and Cole's dialog with Sloan, I thought that the contents of 'the box' were treated with some type of chemical. Or maybe Cole was just messing with Sloan's mind?
    But what I was thinking was:
    Sloan looked pained throughout, until the very end, when he turned to Cole, and said, "They broke you, didn't they?" He then began taunting Cole, seemingly free of pain. The context: suddenly "losing" the pain and mocking Cole being broken, suggested to me that Sloan was not seriously affected by the needles -- they didn't realy contain poison. Cole was still deceived, and his fear of them was like negative placebo effect due to psychological torture in Russia.
    Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, or Sloan just doesn't feel pain the way the rest of us do. [​IMG]
    As for Vaughn - he's always been in L.A. It was said that the email was sent to Langely then re-reouted to him. No fault. Game on. [​IMG]
    My question about plot problem:
    The "perfume" was taken by Vaughn. Cole was killed. But Sloan thinks Cole (or his operation) still made off with the substance from the vault. How is this? Does he not know Cole was killed? Does he think someone in Cole's group still got away with the stuff?

20. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

Cole was not killed, Sydney just pummeled him to unconsciousness (presumably, no confirmation either way). The CIA took him away along with the vial.