Alias 01/05/03 - A Higher Echelon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Don't forget, new shows are starting back up!

I can't wait to watch Alias in HD tonight. From the looks of it, Sydney's going to try and rescue Marshall, who was mysteriously abducted, but not by the CIA!

2. Ty Zucker

Ty Zucker Stunt Coordinator

Looking forward to it!

3. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    I don't know if was the national ABC digital feed, or just my local, but the transmission just switched from Alias to a promo for Monsters Inc.!
    WTF!!! I want Sydney in HD!!![​IMG]

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

AGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOT FAIR!!!!!!

I caught up during the interim, and now I have to go week to wek rather than end to end. This is terrible, terrible place to start weekly viewing!

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Again let me say...I love this show! Marshell rocked in this episode! Next week looks great also.

6. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    I loved Marshall's reference to "Star Wars"! Another fantastic episode.

7. Ty Zucker

Ty Zucker Stunt Coordinator

"My name is Martin Finkleman and I'm here to rescue you!"

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think he said "I'm Marshall J. Flinkman, and I'm here to rescue you." Marshall's awesome. Loved the Pong game he programmed for the "Echelon" icon.

So Jack's in major hot water, and we have no idea if Irina made off with access to Echelon during her "assistance" with the hotspots. Jack's also in hot water with Vaughn when he found out that Jack did away with Haladki.

BTW, yes, my HDTV feed also went to a promo for Monster's Inc. in the middle of the show, I had to go back to the analog feed to watch what I was missing in HD. Thank goodness for P-I-P!

BUT...I love watching Alias in HD, the picture quality is just amazing (though I did spot some grain in the dark backgrounds/locations, but I'm wondering if it had more to do with the upconverting from 720p to 1080i by the receiver or maybe that's just the way it was filmed).

9. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

The Star Wars line was hilarious!

11. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

Watched the show last night, and again really enjoyed it. Obvious highlight was the already noted line from Marshall - I also liked Dixon as a reggae/hip-hop DJ! Arvin shows his true side (lying through his teeth to Syd and Dix about Marshall, and already acuiring a replacement). Will finds out through Francie that Syd likes Vaughn. Part of me sympathizes with Will, as I think we've all be in his position in some way. Part of me is yelling at him, "Move on! You're a friend and that's it!"

Now, a couple of disappointments:

Syd goes to rescue Marshall and doesn't even have a gun?!? Sorry, that just stretches willing suspension of disbelief to the snapping point.

Also, she lets the Asian Torturer Guy live/go free?!!? She should have capped him or at least done something so that the CIA could easily find him.

And I hate to reiterate what was being said before the show went on a break for a few weeks...I really think a major character needs to die or suffer in a real way for the show to maintain suspense and drama. In a world as dangerous as the show depicts, it seems very unrealistic that everyone should survive essentially unscathed.

I watched the show's premiere episode, and was encouraged when Syd had a tooth pulled, and lost her fiancee. I thought we had a show that wouldn't pull punches, that would have the guts to kill off major characters. But here we are, a season and a half later, and all the principals are alive and well and have fingers and toes all accounted for. Time for the show to get its teeth back, and inject some real tension and danger into the characters' lives.

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

13. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I too loved the Marshall character creating the game of Pong. Too funny. So now what is up with Arvin and Jack? Calling the chick investigating Jack immediately after Jack leaves his house is suspicious, but I have a feeling that it is a test and Jack will come out alive and kicking.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, they did have a bounded Sloane order that they cut off his own finger in the 2-episode Tarantino appearances to use his fingerprint to open up one of the locks/doors. [​IMG]

15. Craig P

Craig P Stunt Coordinator

I'm suspicious that the paper from Sark implicated Jack in Emily's death. It would account for Sloane's level of suspicion -- I'm not sure I see why he would call Kane otherwise.

16. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

while on the subject of "suspending disbelief", perhaps the Alliance should spend less time examing the surveillance tapes and SIM chips of Jack's cellphone and just follow him as he goes back and forth between the SD-6 and the CIA offices 3 times a day [​IMG]

17. Rakesh.S

Rakesh.S Second Unit

i am pretty damn forgetful...but can someone tell me who haladki was?? i can probably remember once someone explains it a little [​IMG]
    thanks

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Haladki was played by Joey Slotnick (previously on Boston Public - as the teacher who was sleeping with one of the senior girl students, and The Single Guy). He's the FBI agent that caused Jack a lot of grief with his ambition for promotions within the FBI.

19. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott

20. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

There were glitches in the regular transmission as well. I was wondering if it was the broadcast or my TiVo acting up...