ali r2 extras exclusive or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JonathanSimpson, Apr 23, 2002.

1. JonathanSimpson

JonathanSimpson Stunt Coordinator

hi guys, just thought that i would give everyone the heads up ali r2 extras . granted the vignette supplements look brief(lets hope for a play all option) but any insight into a given picture by mann is always a great thing, the current r1 release is obviously a stepping stone to then double dip with the extras announced at the bbfc website but it is very disapointing that columbia have made no mention of this being the case, maybe i am wrong and the supplements will only be available in the r2 territory but somehow i doubt that, please correct me if there has been an announcement with regard to the r1 special edition (if it has please supply a link to the announcment)
    jonathan

2. Iain Jackson

Iain Jackson Second Unit

The R2 release is not being handled by Columbia, so there is no indication that they will bring out a special edition in R1. I may be wrong.

3. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

The UK release is from EiV (Entertainment in Video), an independent distributor.

They normally just recycle the US extras but in some cases have released versions with more extras than R1 (eg Traffic until we get the Criterion version).

Not sure where these are sourced from or if they will make them available to Columbia (in R1 US) if they were exclusively produced.

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

The director of "Ali", Michael Mann, is againts extras for his DVDs. Thats the way he likes it. Maybe he has less control of video releases outside North America.

5. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

6. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

These extras sound like what Entertainment In Video always do: get all the EPK and B-Roll footage and plunk it down onto the disc. They could at least have edited it into some form of documentary. Oh well, its better than nothing I guess.

Richard

7. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

You can probably scratch these from the "DVD Added Value":

00:01:01:19 | CLIP REEL - I'LL TURN YOU INTO A RUG

00:01:14:15 | SONJI SONJI

00:00:54:19 | WITHOUT ME YOU'RE NOTHING BUT A MOUTH

00:00:41:09 | YOU WON'T STAND UP FOR ME

00:01:04:18 | RUMBLE YOUNG MAN RUMBLE

00:01:14:00 | SO THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK?

00:00:52:20 | LISTON FIGHT

They sound like they're simply straight clips from the film, intended for broadcasters.

Richard is right - this list is a pretty standard EPK layout.

8. JonathanSimpson

JonathanSimpson Stunt Coordinator

if you guys have been to the official ali website i think you can get a taste of how the vignettes are going to turn out.
    malcolm the link you have posted is the exact same link that i have posted in the original post [​IMG].
    dave you state that mann